Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey guys,

I go in and meet with my surgeon again on March 31 for my pre-op appointment. On April 4 I will begin my 10 day liquid diet, and the surgery is scheduled for April 14.

I know that, with time, I will have this, and other, questions answered by my surgical team. However, at this point, a million things are going through my mind. My main question is, how much time did you guys take off of work? At one of the surgery meetings I had at the bariatric center, we were told that it would require 2 - 3 weeks off of work but for more sedentary positions (such as my job) it is possible to return to work after as little as one week but it all depends on the surgeon and his decision.

I know that everyone's post op experiences are different so that also plays a role. My surgery falls on a Thursday and, when I requesting time off, I told my boss that I would plan to be back sometime during the middle of the following week but it could change, and if it did I would let them know.

So, the question is, how long did you guys have to take off, especially those of you with desk jobs?

Thanks for the input!

A lot depends on your recovery. Keep in mind that you might not have much pain but you will have ZERO energy. Walking from the couch to the bathroom made me need a nap. If you can, try to give yourself two weeks if you can but you could probably go back to a desk job after a week

I asked the same question not all that long ago in the forum for surgery in Mexico. Most people seemed to say 2 weeks... but I've noticed that there is often a slight difference between recovery recommendations. Here in the states docs tend to say 3 - 4 weeks (at least from the ones I've spoken to), Whereas in Mexico 1 - 2 weeks seems to be the norm. It all comes down to what you think you can handle physically as well as financially.

For myself, I'm planning to take a month off work, 1 week pre-op and 3 post-op. I wanted to make sure I was fully recovered before I return, because it'll only cause more problems if others have to fix my work (desk job) or I have to go home early. My boss thinks I'm crazy to return so soon. Her daughter had it done here in the states and it was more than a month before she was cleared to go back (but she also does a lot of physical work). However, I also have to admit that the only reason I was willing to take the full month off, was because the short term disability benefit turned out to cover more than I expected.

Good luck with your surgery!

I took off 4 weeks. 3/28 will be three weeks since my sleeve. I am exhausted. I have little energy. I am happy I still have another week before I return to work. I have requested that I work from home for the first month. Battling the NYC subway to get to work will drain me before I even start work.

I went to Mexico for surgery and had a very easy recovery. Surgery Friday afternoon, Shopping and sightseeing Saturday and Sunday, traveling by plane Monday, drove 5 hours and plowed my driveway when I got home on Tuesday. I was returning emails, making phone calls and doing paperwork from home on Wednesday and back to work on Thursday. I am a vet tech with an active, physical job on my feet, bending, kneeling, squatting all day. I was planning on taking two weeks, but we got busy so I went back after just one week.

I was on liquids for 3 weeks so the biggest thing was making sure I had plenty of Protein shakes and fluids to sip between appointments. I was tired, but felt fine otherwise.

I ended up being rehospitalized for five days. My surgeon said most of her patients took two weeks off. I opted for four. I have a desk job, but I really wanted to have new habits dialed in before adding the distraction of work.

As it happens, I'm two weeks postop today and can still only handle Clear Liquids. I'm mighty glad I'm not going back to work on Monday!

I took two weeks but for the first couple of days when I was back at work, I got too exhausted to keep going in the mid-afternoon and had to go home and sleep. After a couple of days of that, we had a long weekend. When I came back after the long weekend, I was fine to go all day. So three weeks probably would have been a better choice for me.

Thanks for all the input, even though every situation is different, it's nice to have a general idea. I have enough of sick and vacation leave to take as much time as I want, however I'm not a "sit at home" type of person. But I do understand that energy levels are a lot to consider. Even though I work at a desk, I am constantly getting up and down and walking around.

I will be sure to let my boss know it may very well be more than a week!

I haven't had my surgery yet but I'm planning on one week. I have a desk job and I work from home so that will make it easier.

My surgery and recovery went incredibly well. I think in part because I got up that evening, in the hospital, and started walking right away. I had surgery on a Tuesday and took the rest of the week and the following off. I could have returned sooner, because I felt fine, but I tired quickly and the constant need to "eat" every two hours would have been a challenge with the distractions at work. Best of luck to you!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had my rny 3-7 and I had a rough 3 nights in the hospital, lots of throwing up and generally just feeling unwell. I spent the first week in bed and taking walks. The second week taking naps and walking and the 3rd week finally started to feel normal. My energy sucked! Im in the beginning of my 4th week now and just getting back to my job.

Sent from my SM-N900P using the BariatricPal App

I had my sleeve surgery on Wednesday and was back to work the next Monday morning. Luckily Thanksgiving week was upon us so I only had to work Monday and Tuesday, then off for 3 more days. I really needed them, but I did survive the two days work (at my desk only). The following week I was good to go.