Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You won't believe this NSV

So for the first time in my life (57 years old) I passed out. Fainted, face planted...whatever you want to call it. I was with my sister on line waiting to purchase tickets to a show we want to see. Was doing fine...my sister, who is obese, was sweating and had to take off her coat. This is what happens to her when we're just walking quickly, which we were. Doesn't happen to me anymore. I stood on line with her with my jacket closed and not a drop of perspiration (thank you lapband!!) Suddenly I got light-headed and dizzy. Sounded like everything was under Water and told sis I needed to sit down. That was the last thing I remember till I woke up with sis in my face calling my name.

The theater manager called 911 even though I asked them not to. The EMTs come running in, take off my coat, put a BP cuff on and ask me questions. I know they're checking my cognitive function. They knew I was OK when they asked me to get in the ambulance so they could do a quick ECG and I said OK as long as my sister stayed on line for the tickets.

So..here's the NSV. First one...no embarrassment over this. No feeling like ugh..the fat woman is sick. She must have done something to herself. No one staring at me..only concern on their faces. Second NSV..Being able to climb into the ambulance. Never had to do that before and I know that when I was heavy, it would have been impossible. Third...no worry that the BP cuff would fit. Fourth..no worry when they asked me to sit on the 'bed' which was really just a shelf with a plastic cushion. Fifth...and truly the best NSV...the relief that my weight would not be an issue or even be mentioned. I'm normal sized now and that's what everyone sees.

So I'm fine today and will wait to see if my doctor wants me to come in. I did tell the nurse what happened and she said she'd let me know if I need to come in. But that's not really the point. The point is that I felt like a normal person and was treated like a normal person in a rather unusual situation. Those of you who are/were morbidly obese as I used to be will understand where I'm coming from.

Ummmmmmmm...

Congratulations??

I mean, the subject is awful...

But I really do see your NSV...

Therefore, yes - congratulations!!!

I hope you are ok. I passed out in early January because I was still on BP meds and with my exercise and weight loss my BP was really low. 80 / 40. I face planted into my bathroom floor and ended up breaking my nose. They say travertine is a soft tile, but believe me it is not that soft.

I do know how you feel when you only require the small BP cuff now at the Docs office. I also like how I fit on the massage table now without having to tuck my hands under my body to keep my arms on the table.

Sometimes it is the little things that keep us motivated.

I do believe it because you have an honest face.

That is quite an inside-out NSV, but I get it. Isn't it amazing that some past experiences resonate today so that we weave them into current events?

I'm glad you're fine today, but think you should have your own doctor give you a look-over. We're not supposed to faint for no apparent reason.

Glad you are feeling better and I can completely see how you would consider it an NSV. I had a similar experience when I was in a car accident in December. Wasn't self-conscious about my weight when bystanders and EMTs tended to me.

This is weirdly a great NSV! I was in a car accident before my sleeve surgery and had two broken ankles and refused to go in the ambulance. I was horrified thinking about getting on the stretcher and the EMTs lifting me up. 130 lbs less I wouldn't worry about it now.

Damn, woman.......many ways to feel normal other than face planting.

Don't do that shyt anymore, hear me !

I get you, though. Enjoying the feels of normalicy..

Hope all is well and nothing is amiss.

This is weirdly a great NSV! I was in a car accident before my sleeve surgery and had two broken ankles and refused to go in the ambulance. I was horrified thinking about getting on the stretcher and the EMTs lifting me up. 130 lbs less I wouldn't worry about it now.

Yes. Exactly. Even if something bad is happening, we can see how being normal sized makes it better.

Boy do I know what you mean! I live in San Francisco Bay Area and while I was still morbidly obese, went to Angel Island on Labor Day weekend. The only way to get there is by boat and it's an extremely popular tourist destination, Broke my ankle and had to be hauled off in the sheriff's boat and loaded into the ambulance at the dock. Two guys had to fireman carry me because no way I could walk. And when we got to the dock, an entire three-story steamship watched me get carried off the boat because they couldn't get off their boat till I was loaded on the ambulance. Ugh!!! I would have given anything to be normal sized.

I hope the face-plant was just a fluke.

Lynda

Glad you are ok!! Totally get the NSV aspect of the situation. It is a good feeling to be "normal size" and not have to worry about the small things. Take care your yourself!!

If you don't already, carry some trail mix or string cheese and a bottle of Water everywhere you go. I used to faint when I was normal sized (ah, to be thin again... soon!) because I was hypoglycemic. Blood sugar would crash, and down I'd go. It happened with some regularity until I brought Snacks with me. If you feel faint, eat a few bites and it should pass.

This is if I'm correctly understanding the issue. I'm glad you had a positive experience with the EMTs and lack of embarrassment - I definitely understand! But fainting can be dangerous depending on where you are. I've heard of folks suffering from fairly serious head injuries from fainting in the bathroom and hitting the sink or tub, for example. You can't control how you fall. It's like one second you're standing up, then your vision clouds and hearing goes into a vacuum, and boom, you're awake on the floor surrounded by panicked faces.

Congrats, though, on the NSV!

Glad you are ok and yes I totally get your NSV!

It is wonderful to not worry about the EMTs hurting themselves while trying to care for us!

I have a history of fainting, maybe half a dozen times in my life?... never been out for too long of a time, but what is interesting is that I know exactly how it feels and can usually (not always) stave it off by getting horizontal as quickly as possible. I would be curious what your doc finds because I have never had anything tangible show up... except it is often associated with something frightening or gross.

I fainted right before plastic surgery, for example..haha. No, I didn't get a discount on the anesthesia.

So for the first time in my life (57 years old) I passed out. Fainted, face planted...whatever you want to call it. I was with my sister on line waiting to purchase tickets to a show we want to see. Was doing fine...my sister, who is obese, was sweating and had to take off her coat. This is what happens to her when we're just walking quickly, which we were. Doesn't happen to me anymore. I stood on line with her with my jacket closed and not a drop of perspiration (thank you lapband!!) Suddenly I got light-headed and dizzy. Sounded like everything was under Water and told sis I needed to sit down. That was the last thing I remember till I woke up with sis in my face calling my name.

The theater manager called 911 even though I asked them not to. The EMTs come running in, take off my coat, put a BP cuff on and ask me questions. I know they're checking my cognitive function. They knew I was OK when they asked me to get in the ambulance so they could do a quick ECG and I said OK as long as my sister stayed on line for the tickets.

So..here's the NSV. First one...no embarrassment over this. No feeling like ugh..the fat woman is sick. She must have done something to herself. No one staring at me..only concern on their faces. Second NSV..Being able to climb into the ambulance. Never had to do that before and I know that when I was heavy, it would have been impossible. Third...no worry that the BP cuff would fit. Fourth..no worry when they asked me to sit on the 'bed' which was really just a shelf with a plastic cushion. Fifth...and truly the best NSV...the relief that my weight would not be an issue or even be mentioned. I'm normal sized now and that's what everyone sees.

So I'm fine today and will wait to see if my doctor wants me to come in. I did tell the nurse what happened and she said she'd let me know if I need to come in. But that's not really the point. The point is that I felt like a normal person and was treated like a normal person in a rather unusual situation. Those of you who are/were morbidly obese as I used to be will understand where I'm coming from.

I was trekked out of the bush last year via a 4x4 stretcher by 4 EMTS/firemen. I was more humiliated feeling like the fat whale on the stretcher than the bike crash itself.

If that was to happen now - my weight wouldn't be an issue at all. It would be all about the crash and whatever is hurt that I'd need that stretcher and it would be about the ride in the ambulance to the hospital. Seriously, being this whale being pulled out of the bush by 4 grown men was the most embarrassing part of that experience!

I know EXACTLY what you're saying!

I'm glad you're ok. Get checked.