Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Water/Protein is a full time job

I'm 3 days post op, and on my second day of full liquids. Yesterday it took me about 10 hours to drink a single Premier Protein shake. I was only able to get in 30g of Protein yesterday, although I did get in over 60oz total of Fluid.

I'm dreading this task again today. I have to really focus on constantly sipping this stuff. And every sip makes me feel really, really full and a bit uncomfortable. I'm sure it gets easier, and I know it's only been one day if this, but it's daunting to think about.

How long did it take you guys until you could fairly easily get down 60g of protein and 64oz of fluids?

All in all things are going well. Pain/discomfort is fairly small and easily controlled with pain meds. Getting up and down and moving around is no problem. I know I'm probably fortunate, but still feeling a little sorry for myself this morning as I face down this Protein Shake. Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Yes, it is a full-time job but it will get easier.

I was able to get all of my Protein (100 grams) in the second day after surgery. It took a little longer to get in at least 64 oz of Fluid. Fortunately, if you can get in 3 premier Proteins that is 90 grams Protein and almost half of your fluids.

Just keep sipping!

Hang in there. For me, getting the Water in during the first week was hard which is why I was in the hospital 3 days opposed to two. I promise, it will get easier with time. Just keep the glasses by your chair and keep sipping. My husband would make a tick mark on a piece of paper every time I finished a 4 oz glass of water. It helped us keep track and gave me a visual goal. I didn't do so good with the Protein for a couple of weeks.

Good luck my dear.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I managed to get all required 60g of Protein in today! Took me about 11 hours. I'm also at about 45oz of Fluid, so I should be able to make my required 64oz today as well. A lot of work, but a little bit easier everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I just recently discovered Syntrax nector Protein. It is fruit flavored that you mix with Water. I have a much easier time getting that down than I do drinking the Premier Protein. I get it on Amazon and with prime I get it in a couple of days.

Every day will get easier for you to take in all the required fluids. Congrats on getting it all in today! Syntax nectar is a good choice as it tastes good mixed only with Water. You won't feel as full. Yes, sipping is your new job during recovery. You sip all day long. I'm 6 weeks post op and I still record my intake as it does vary daily for me. My doc has me on 80 grams Protein and less than 80 of Carbs, and minimum 48oz water daily. I have just been advanced to soft foods so this is my new challenge, to get all this into my body. I'm learning it's one day at a time. Just remember to stay hydrated. Get that water in. It will keep you from feeling tired and your skin from drying out.

I was just going to post to ask for help on this very topic. I am postop for 11 days and I just started getting 60 GM Protein in since yesterday. It takes me all day because I am so full trying to sip on Water. I had been trying to do 2 Premiere Protein drinks, but I think it's too heavy.

I bought a Protein Powder made by the company that does Muscle Milk Protein Drinks. It's not bad. I also decided to use less Water , Like Nuala13 and that was the only thing that helped me get in my Protein. I must say I like my chocolate Premiere Protein heated up. It reminds me of hot chocolate and I tolerate that pretty well.

I am still not able to get in much water. The most I've gotten was today and that was 20 ounces. I have not gotten anywhere close to 64 oz of fluids (even including the protein drinks). I love water, but I feel full after about 2 ounces. I will try the Syntrax. Thanks for the tips and I hope to get better every day.

My cousin suggested getting some kind of app that would beep or vibrate every 15 minutes to remind me to drink. Anybody use anything like that?

Unjury is another great option. It has all the amino acid Proteins you need. Not all Protein is created equal. whey protein is the best. UNJURY makes a good chocolate flavor. My doc has us use 1 % lactose free milk, like Lactaid. I found that after awhile it was filling me up too much. An alternative is UNSWEETENED Almond Milk, Blue Diamond brand. It won't have the protein in it that milk has but it will give you less bulk, making you feel less full or bloated. And don't drink thru a straw. Straws cause more air in your new pouch and you will feel full.

What I do is at the top of the hour, example 9am, I will take 20-30 minutes to drink my 6 oz of Protein Drink. Then, the rest of the hour I sip Water. Then, at 11am I have another 6oz of Protein over 20-30 minutes. And the rest of the time it's water. I continue to space out the protein over the 12-14 hour day. Every 6oz drink of nectar or Unjury has 21-23gr protein. So I need only get 4 shakes in during the day to get the 80gr required. That was when I was 1-3 weeks post op. Now, for me, it's a different challenge but taking the 20-30 minutes to drink protein has trained me to take 20-30 minutes to eat the soft food that I'm learning to eat.

Thank you MiteyMom,

I will try that, even thought it takes me much longer than 30 minutes to drink my Protein drink. I like the tip on how to get the Water sips in.

I was just going to post to ask for help on this very topic. I am postop for 11 days and I just started getting 60 GM Protein in since yesterday. It takes me all day because I am so full trying to sip on Water. I had been trying to do 2 Premiere Protein drinks, but I think it's too heavy.

I bought a Protein powder made by the company that does Muscle Milk Protein drinks. It's not bad. I also decided to use less Water , Like Nuala13 and that was the only thing that helped me get in my protein. I must say I like my chocolate Premiere Protein heated up. It reminds me of hot chocolate and I tolerate that pretty well.

I am still not able to get in much water. The most I've gotten was today and that was 20 ounces. I have not gotten anywhere close to 64 oz of fluids (even including the protein drinks). I love water, but I feel full after about 2 ounces. I will try the Syntrax. Thanks for the tips and I hope to get better every day.

My cousin suggested getting some kind of app that would beep or vibrate every 15 minutes to remind me to drink. Anybody use anything like that?

I have heard of apps like this but didn't use one.

You could just set the timer on your phone to go off every 15 (or however many) minutes.

Who would have thought it would be so hard to sip Water? ?? I keep bottles ALL over: on each bathroom counter, on my nitestand, on the coffee table...just as constant reminders, but it's a real effort to take even just one sip. 6 days post-op and exhausted, so KNOW I have to keep at it!

Hi yall, I'm having the issue with not getting my Protein. I am 5 days post op. I loved the Premier Protein before my sleeve, but now they make me feel sick. I went and bought Isopure today, the unflavored and it's smell alone will make you want to puke. I have no problem with drinking Water, eating sugar free Popsicles, and Jello. Im so ready for soft foods, then I wouldn't have issues with not getting my Protein. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App