Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I just went through gastric bypass on March 8th, the first week post op was just fine. However, after my 1 west post op, I have been noticing some breathing problems. I can't seem to catch my breath. I can't take a shower without having to sit down afterwards to breath or walk up a flight of stairs without my chest tightening and I have to sit down. This is not normal for me. I have no pain or fevers and I had some vitals checked and all my vitals look good and my oxygen was 98%. Has anyone else experienced this? Do you know what it is?

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

Probably not a lot of help, and you should call your doc office and see what they think too, especially if it continues...

But, are you getting your Protein and Water in daily?

You sound weak to me, and maybe something to do with blood sugar levels?

I hope it improves, and hopefully someone with more experience will have a better idea. Hang in there :)

I had the same thing... after my shower I had to sit down, same after the dishes or feeding the cat, I just had to stop and rest. It was weakness and fatigue from not eating enough and drinking enough. It did pass though when I finally went on the pureed phase of my program.

I had the sleeve recently and experienced this and had no issues prior. I was 199 lbs on surgery day so wasn't my weight causing it. I actually went to ER because I was struggling. Long story short it was my pain meds. I was taking liquid narcotics and I read the bottle.

Sure enough on the bottle it stated may cause difficulty breathing.

I threw it right out. Just dealt with a little discomfort. I didn't care. After about a week after stopping it my breathing got back to normal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

Had my by pass 3/21, I felt great yesterday, was able to do some cleaning, today not so good,my lungs hurt, but I do know this can happen from lying down to long,even those I have been using the air life breathing thingy, and my menstrual cycle started, at least my swelling is going down,

I had my surgery on monday and have the same issues. They (the doctors) blame it on the fact that your stomach muscles and insides are really bruised. So I suppose it is kind of normal to experience this. I can't walk the stairs without being shattered, like being an 80year old trying to do the harlem shake.

Do call your doctor if you are really worried but I have been told that unless your are vomitting or having fevers most of these problems are part of the recovery!

Sent from my SM-G920F using the BariatricPal App

Edited by kdvr