Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

to snack, or not to snack?

I have heard several things about snacking.. for sleevers, is it a good or bad thing to snack? I've heard people stick with 3 meals per day but then I also have heard people regularly mention snacking being a vital part of their lives... What's a normal food regimen for everyone?

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

I eat Snacks. I eat 3 meals a day and 1-2 Snacks in between.

My snacks are things like a carbmaster yogurt (60 calories, 4 g carbs, 9 g protein), a string cheese stick and 3 grape tomatoes with a sprinkle of olive oil, a glass of Mootopia milk (or Fairlife if you're not in Texas), or some hummus and carrots, or a half cup of broccoli/cauliflower with a slice of lowfat cheese melted over.

I stick with things that have either high Protein, high Fiber or both, and always try to keep the carbs down so when added to my daily carb totals the snacks don't pop me up over my max. I also count calories (will do so probably for the rest of my life) so I know when I can and can't have a snack.< /p>

If you can't make smart choices on snacks or you don't want to count calories/carbs, then snacks might not be a good idea, but if you are keeping up with all of that, they do well to make sure you are fueling your body with healthy stuff and not going too long between meals so you forget to eat healthy during actual mealtimes.

For me (I repeat, for ME) my snacking is relative to my caloric output...

As I'm currently going to the gym twice a day and doing cardio, I'll have a small snack mid morning and mid afternoon...

Nothing too serious...

A few nuts...

Some gluten free wild brown rice crackers (they're MUCH tastier than they sound!!)..

If I'm doing weights, I'll throw in a Protein shake instead...

If I skip the gym (like I did this afternoon... I know, I know...) then I'll not snack at all...

There are many theories floating around about when to snack, if at all and what to snack on...

They're all correct and they're all wrong...

Try a few out and find the one that works for you and your body...

For me, it's all about common sense and balance...

If you're exercising more, you need more fuel...

Not too much, or you're wasting your time...

Good luck with it...

My surgeon was very clear on this.

He said to stick with my 3 meals each day and to avoid snacking.

He maintains that the hunger is gone and that eating is simply about feeding the body what it needs and that Snacks aren't a part of the plan.

Does this apply to everyone ? Of course not......it was simply his instructions for me. I'm following along for the most part with his plan.

to snack, or not to snack?

--that is the question:

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles
And by opposing end them. To diet, to sleep....

Enough Shakespeare. If you really need a snack and it isn't due to head hunger, stomach acid etc. and a drink doesn't subside it; try to pick a healthier, lower calorie and if possible a higher Protein choice.
Just be careful of mindless eating and grazing.

My team's plan is no snacking in weight loss mode -- except for Protein Shakes. It's acceptable to have Protein shakes between meals if you otherwise would not meet your daily protein goal. Beyond that, their policy is that snacking leads to grazing leads to careless eating leads to eating to satisfy head hunger and cravings and inevitably to slow or stop weight loss.

I eat 6-7 times/day. Sometimes it's tiny plate of Chineese take out. Sometimes it's Greek yogurt, or a piece of pizza, or a couple handfuls of pumpkin seeds. Sometimes it's a Quest bar or a bag of Protein chips. Sometimes it's a 1/2 an apple, or fish and tartar sauce, or deli turkey and cheese, or steamed veggies.

I just eat when I'm hungry, get in all my Protein and fluids and don't get too hung up on the semantics of "is this a meal or is this a snack? " Besides, compared to what I ate before surgery, everything I eat now is "snack size"! ;)

My doctor said no snacking. However, I occasionally snack. I just don't make it an every day thing. I think he was referring to not snacking during the weight loss phase. If someone was at the maintenance stage they may need snacking to maintain a stable weight.

He maintains that the hunger is gone and that eating is simply about feeding the body what it needs and that Snacks aren't a part of the plan.

Does this apply to everyone ? Of course not......it was simply his instructions for me. I'm following along for the most part with his plan.

This always struck me as difficult to get in your required Protein per day, especially early on, without having to have Protein shakes. What is your required protein per day?

My minimum protein goal is 64 grams per day. So 3 oz of chicken has 24 grams. So that leaves me 40 grams and 2 meals. For Breakfast I have 1 egg with tomatoes and spinach and feta. So 6 grams for the egg and 1 gram for the feta. So I have to get 33 more in my final meal of the day. That is for the minimum. I see for many people the protein minimum is frequently as high as 80. This doesn't seem like it allows much room for fruits or vegetables.

I am glad it works for you but I just see it as really tough to get your protein in with only 3 meals and still have a balanced diet with some vegetables. My surgeon wants me to eat only 4-6 oz per meal. Sometimes I can eat more than 3 or 4 oz of chicken at a time but that is rare. I am 14 months out, so not newly sleeved.

This always struck me as difficult to get in your required protein per day, especially early on, without having to have Protein Shakes. What is your required protein per day?

My minimum protein goal is 64 grams per day. So 3 oz of chicken has 24 grams. So that leaves me 40 grams and 2 meals. For Breakfast I have 1 egg with tomatoes and spinach and feta. So 6 grams for the egg and 1 gram for the feta. So I have to get 33 more in my final meal of the day. That is for the minimum. I see for many people the protein minimum is frequently as high as 80. This doesn't seem like it allows much room for fruits or vegetables.

I am glad it works for you but I just see it as really tough to get your protein in with only 3 meals and still have a balanced diet with some vegetables. My surgeon wants me to eat only 4-6 oz per meal. Sometimes I can eat more than 3 or 4 oz of chicken at a time but that is rare. I am 14 months out, so not newly sleeved.

I think we have a negative connotation of the word "snack". For us, timed eating is a new way of life. I have to eat every few hours to make my individually designed system work. I am unable to eat enough in three sittings to get the desired amount of nutrients needed for one day. Thus I eat 5 or six times a day. Now, is beef Jerky a snack? I think of it as an added source of Protein. Is Greek Yogurt a snack? Again, I use it as a valuable source of Protein. So, snacking or timed eating, is the way I have been successful.

I think it depends on how you define a "snack". I eat 6 times a day...but it's about portion size and quality of choices. My NUT wants minimum of 64 oz of Protein, but more is suggested.

Example day:

Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs or 1 scrambled egg with 1T mozz cheese.

snack (2 hours later): 6 oz Greek yogurt

Lunch: tuna packet (2.6 oz)

Snack: Protein Bar

Dinner: Baked chicken 3 oz or so

Snack: cheese stick and pickle

I never eat after 8 pm

I need all these in between "snacks" because otherwise I would never get in all my Protein. Eating this way helps me not to snack poorly in choices. I don't think of it as snacking though, just part of my meals.

If you mean snacking as in "potato chips, cake, etc" Nope...I mostly refrain entirely.

my team said 3 meals and 2 Snacks per day. Protein first.

So far my weight loss is right on track, so it's a pretty good plan. I hope you have a team to help you formulate a plan specific to your needs.

If I don't snack, I can't possibly get enough calories in. A "meal" for me is usually 200-400 calories. If I don't snack, then I end up at only like 1000 calories a day. Plus I get super "hangry" if I don't eat every 3-4 hours. So I have at least two Snacks a day (one in the afternoon and one after dinner). The key to successful snacking is to eat on a schedule. Don't just snack whenever you feel like it. That turns into grazing. Have a scheduled time for snacks and have a limited number of food options for those snacks. ALWAYS make sure they are high Protein. Never eat carbs alone!