Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freaking Out...... Maybe I just won't get sleeved

So I was reading someone's status and came across this...... She said she had two ladies in her group have complications one is fighting for her life now and the other young lady us two kids and was a young mom!!!! Sometimes I don't know if being in the group is helping me or making my anxiety worse! My biggest fear is not waking from anesthesia and then I read that status and the fear comes back all over again!!! True enough I don't know the reason why the young lady passed after she came home and had been there for two days however it's still the thought that you kl just don't know!!!!!!

This is what her post stated:::: I have so many emotions going through my head right now, Kiaser hospital called me today and told me my surgery is Monday at 10:20am and I am so excited and yet so scared. I just can't stop thinking about the two ladies in support group that recently went through surgery, one is in ICU now fighting for her life one day after surgery for an infection and the other just passed away yesterday two days after surgery, I have shed many tears.

I just want to also add that my deepest sympathy and condolences to the young lady that past as well it's hard to hear she lost her life and trying to change it for the better!!!????

Ever go to a baby shower where sooner or later, it ALWAYS happens. All of the soon to be mom's friends take turns describing in infinite detail just how her labor and deliver was by far the worst, the bloodiest, the longest, the most excruciatingly painful experience in the history of womanhood. Why so called friends would do that to a young woman facing her first labor and delivery experience has always been a bizarre and dreadful thing to do.

Yes, EVERY surgery has its fatalities. My cousin died having her tonsils out many years ago. A friend of mine bled out while delivering her son. No one can give you certainties about your WLS. The odds are by far in your favor, but they are still, "the odds".

You have to do the research yourself--for yourself. Talk to your therapist, your clergy, your God and mostly talk with yourself--up front and honestly.

If you are truly paralyzed with the idea of having surgery, maybe the time is NOT right for you to have WLS. You will need all of your head, heart and determination to be successful after WLS. You don't need to go into surgery with any doubts. Be sure. Be very sure.

We all can give you our thoughts on what worked and/or didn't work for us, but the final decision is YOURS.

Prayers going up for you.

SMH

It's scary, I think everyone will tell you they had these feelings etc. I'm so sorry for those who have lost love ones. These decisions are never easy.

We can die commuting to/from work...or driving to the grocery store or the mall.

Each one of us had one or more comorbidities when we first met with our surgeon-of-choice...or else we wouldn't have qualified.

Anyone literally terrified of going into an elective surgery should likely do some serious reconsideration.

i have to say i dont buy it. an infection less than a full day after surgery and one that causes you to be in ICU, sorry thats really hard to believe. it sounds like you may have been visited by a troll, or someone with some other mental issues. Now certainly someone being in an icu after surgery? yep happens, especially considering the unhealthy status we go in with. But to have an infection gestate that fast and with that virulent a result so quickly? Not very likely, in fact almost impossible for me to believe. And i was a paramedic for 11 years. ask any of the nurses here, and we have quite a few. Sepsis takes more time than that.

You never know why someone else had complications. The facts remain that the risk for this surgery is very low when you do what you're supposed to do. As others have stated, you're more in danger driving to and from work every day. That being said, it is a risk. Only you can decide if it's worth it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm part of that group too. Her kidneys shut down. It's an active, "real-life" group as well, so I highly doubt trolling.

AprilNicole, it's scary when a rare complication happens to someone you "know". ((Hugs))

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Review the stats for your surgeon and if you never asked, ask. Wls has similar risks to gall bladder removal, in general. I think the fear comes from this being elective. I have had two surgeries already and one procedure that required intunated anesthesia as well....so I no longer fear the anesthesia. I say something very positive to myself while going under and the next thing you know ur awake. Do the best you can foe your body pre op and if a doc clears you for surgery, you are as ready as you can be.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

Intubated*

If I may ask, where was your forum friend sleeved? Us, mx, aus?

You have >1% of serious complications from surgery or the very high percentage of obesity related complications (high bp, diabetes, heart disease, poor joints, sleep apnea, increased risks for cancer... I know you know them).

While I can see being nervous if my particular surgeon had two terrible outcomes so close together, look at the over all odds for that surgeon, that hospital, the surgery in general.

I personally used the excuse of knowing several people who had complications for WLS to prevent my doctors from even talking to me about it when I was still only a 40BMI. But I had one A1c that came back at 6.1, I was on the edge of weighing 300lbs. I finally said surgery could kill me, but staying this heavy WILL kill me.

I get nervous from time to time, I wish I would have listened this sooner, I wish that regular diet and exercise worked for me. But then I remember all the work I have done to get here. Lost 37 pounds, went to a bazillion doctor visits, paid a bazillion co-pays, learned to how chew slowly, eat with out drinking... You did all this work, don't freak yourself out now. You got this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Edited by csawesome

I have to say, as a Kaiser Bariatrics patient, I felt more confident because I trusted Kaiser. I was still terrified though. Especially the day of surgery. I knew the risks going in, but for me the risk of remaining overweight was greater.

5 years out now. No complications other than I became lactose intolerant. For most people who have that issue post-op, it clears up in a few months. Mine is better but not gone. I can count on "issues" if I eat ice cream or drink milk.

Lynda

I think it really depends on your general health as well. I handle workers comp claims and I can tell you people who have issues like diabetes, high blood pressure or are smokers tend to have a higher chance of having complications with surgery. I think you should talk with your surgeon/primary care doctor about YOUR risks since everyone is different. Not trying to scare you but if you are that worried, you should become well informed by your physicians.