Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So with all this time on my hands... I've been thinking... Rut ro! ha!

So... the 'no drinking 30 minutes before' is so your stomach will be empty enough to handle the all -important Protein you will be feeding it... and 'no drinking during/ after 30 minutes of a meal' is so you don't wash down what you just put in there so you'll stay full longer and give your body a chance to adsorb all the nutrients, right?

Well, what about pre-op? I mean, obviously drinking prior to a meal isn't as big of a deal since our stomachs are already at full size... but what about not drinking for 30 minutes afterwards? Do you think it helps with keeping us full longer? Do you think there is any benefit - pre surgery - to not drinking with your meal, or afterwards for 30 minutes (Other than to get used to it as you approach your surgery date)?

I've been chewing, chewing, chewing... and I've all but eliminated drinking during my meal, in preparation... but I was wondering if there's a real benefit to it, say for someone just looking to lose weight in general...

Obviously I need the insurance company to hurry up and approve me, because I think I'm going crazy over here OVER THINKING things! ha!

OMG, lol....your stating everything that I have been thinking but haven't actually stated out load. I haven't been practicing not drinking before, during or after meals but I probably should since I know that is going to be the most difficult for me. I just thought it best to keep hydrated. I am also still waiting for a surgery date.

I do know that I have always understood it best to keep hydrated to help you lose weight but I don't know how it would affect staying full longer by waiting after eating prior to this type of surgery.

I've tried practicing and just cannot do it. I always need about 5 sips during my meal. My surgery is May 10th. I posted on here about and a lot of people said it will be easier after surgery.

I very VERY VERY strongly recommend practicing this habit pre-op. The separation of Water and food has by far been my biggest struggle, leading me to not eat as much food as I should be because I really don't want to give up drinking each time for as long as we need to. Nearly my entire soft food stage was spent consuming little more than Fairlife milk so I could get calories and Protein without having to give up drinking. It's compromising my weight loss! Lol. Seriously though, I foolishly disregarded incorporating this habit pre-op because I believed it would be a snap after surgery, since my stomach should be too small to be able to hold both anyway. It was NOT a snap. Start getting used to this as early as possible.

CHMD and daniotra, thank you for the great advice! [emoji846] I will take that to heart and start separating my food and drink because I understand how important it is. My bariatric program hasn't suggested practicing the part of the program other than stating I can't have fluids 30 min. prior to, during and 1 hour following all meals.

Edited by FindingCharlie

Thanks ya'll... I totally get why we need to do it after surgery...

I guess I was more contemplating if there were benefits for all people, whether they were about to have, or had already had, surgery... just your run of the mill person. If they were to incorporate this into their lives, would there be a health benefit of staying fuller longer...

Again, just me being obsessed because my Doctor's office won't call me back to tell me if they're sending the required paperwork to my insurance company! Beyond frustrated with them right now :(

They used to always say for "normal" people that you should drink 8 ounces of Water 30 minutes before a meal so you feel full faster. That worked, I suppose, if you actually had the feeling of being full. It never seemed to make much difference to me.

The 30/30 rule was important to practice before surgery. I frequently found myself unconsciously drinking Water when out at a restaurant. I didn't realize how ingrained that was. The more conscious I was of doing it, the more I could fight it. Keep trying. Its worth the effort.

Coincidentally, my NUT, psych, and surgeon all told me that not following the 30/30 rule was the #1 reason that people gained their weight back after surgery. I don't have any hard stats on that, but they all said it.

pam

My nutritionist said to me to be sure to not drink for the thirty minutes after a meal because it could stretch my new stomach....a horrible idea for sure - she just mentioned drinking after a meal was the biggest problem of the two rules. Very glad she mentioned it ;)

I think it definitely is a good thing to start grinding it into your brain so it is a habit before surgery and not something you need to learn to do after. There are already so many changes after surgery.

This is the good habit I am going to struggle with the most. This actually scares me to think about. I have made a couple attempts already (surgery not til Sept) and barely made it through 4 well chewed bites before I felt like I was choking to death. I drink Water almost constantly throughout my day. HELP!!

Sent from my LG-E980 using the BariatricPal App

I'm pre-surgery. As part of my prep, I've paid more attention to this. I slow down my eating a lot when I don't have Water to wash down my bites. I take smaller bites, chew thoroughly, and swallow. If I'm not paying attention, I eat very quickly using the Water to help wash down bites.

I also feel bloated and "sloshy" when I drink too much water with a meal.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using the BariatricPal App

@@ridgerunner Try much smaller bites. Dime-sized if you have to. See how that works :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using the BariatricPal App

Ruth 1 less,

That is a really good suggestion. However, I am already a very very slow eater. I worry that if I slow down more it could be 2 - 2 1/2 hrs between liquids instead of the already excrutiating 1 1/2 -1 hr 45 min.

Herein lies another problem. I like to eat food intended to be hot while its still at least warm. It will be ice cold if I take an hour to eat it.

Sent from my LG-E980 using the BariatricPal App