Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Juicing

I know there are a few chats about it. I like to do an updated one :)

I been juicing and doing smoothies for the past 3 years. I do not like a whole lot of fruit and veggies so I do liquids to supplement. It has helped me a great deal, especially helping my intolerances because the body was being more healthy and not as toxic.

The sleeve has helped me shed 33 lbs so far in 2.5 months. And now I want to super boost my weight loss and super boost my nutrition because I am not getting enough; i can't eat enough and i need some serious healing.

So now I am going to try juicing fruits and veggies for Breakfast and lunch supper time I will have the typical sleeve meal plan. Along with having Snacks through out the day.

I'll post the recipes I do and if anyone is visual, I can always post pics or you can post recipes or pics as well :)

And when you ask about what about the Protein, fibre; I am adding that to my juices :) And the sugar intake; thats what fibre is for, it slows down sugar absorption, (the fibre can be added as well by blending some of the fruit in with the juice) and I believe protein helps as well. Also you can Water down your fruit juices.

If anyone is interested, please feel free to chat on this post. And if you heard of juice fasts and juice feasting; i done a week long one before and it was awesome :)

I love juicing! I got into it not long after watching Fat Sick and Nearly Dead. Have you seen it? I'm still pre op, but am interested in your progress and will be following.

I know you're going to go ahead and do this.

But it's about as opposite to WLS post-op nutritional programs as you can get: drinking your calories, not eating animal Protein, delaying learning how to live by eating "real food," etc.

But you go ahead and do what you want to do.

I have been using my vitamix for smoothies- gives you the whole veg/fruit - and that was before my sleeve. I did loose weight that way. But now, I am concerned about how you will get enough complete Proteins. I do think having veg and some fruit is good for you - but I think you need more than just the juice.

one of my favorites was a small raw beet, frozen cherries, some red cabbage and ginger. so pretty and tasty. I do not know when, if ever I will be ready for raw beets again, even blended up!

please be kind and careful with your new tummy. let us know how you are doing.

I would worry about the "don't like a lot of whole fruits and vegetables". Have you actually tried any lately?

Once you get clean off of sugar and starches, you may find you actually like fresh, whole foods.

I too was a huge raw juice fan before surgery. I have a juicer and used it almost everyday. I always saved my pulp and either added it back to Soups or whole grain muffins so I still got a lot of the Fiber.< /p>

Post op I find that the raw juice takes up a lot of space in my tummy when I could be filling up on Protein.< /p>

Also, even though I mostly juice veggies when I juice I found that for me it made me hungrier.

I occasionally will juice if I have some leftover veggies or fruits, but it isn't part of my regular diet. I stay fuller longer with real food and as I am in the maintenance phase I get hungry now so real food does better for me.

Everyone is different, just try and maximize your weight loss during the early months when it's easy.

My program does not allow for calories in beverages with the exception of milk or Protein shakes.

I have so little room to get my Protein and have a hard time wasting my calories on juice. If I want fruit and veggies which I always do, I eat the whole fruit and take advantage of the fiber which is critical after this surgery.

Are fruit and veggie juices on your plan?

I never went to dietitions, nutritionists or did anything before I had the sleeve. I just decided to and went for it.

I never was a fruit or veggie eater. And I am still going to have food. Im just juicing the fruits and veggies, and adding Protein to it. Plus getting Protein from Snacks and an evening meal.

I been doing this for the past 3 years, and I believe its the best thing for me. Doesnt hurt to give it a try :) if it dont work then you just stop.

I am definitly not advocating you need to juice. I totally believe in a proper diet. Im not just juicing, just supplimenting for fruits and veggies.

And yes I have tried stuff but its not working for me. And since I still can"t eat as much Im not getting proper nutrition.

And yes I seen Fat Sick... Both of them. In fact each one over 5 times. Plus I watched many health documentries.

I know you're going to go ahead and do this.

But it's about as opposite to WLS post-op nutritional programs as you can get: drinking your calories, not eating animal Protein, delaying learning how to live by eating "real food," etc.

But you go ahead and do what you want to do.

why would animal Protein be something we need to do for post op?

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

I want to spend a week juicing too. I just think there are many good health benefits. The benefits don't change bc you had surgery.

I look at it like this: You can still get your Protein and Vitamins in, so no big deal. And it's not like you're baking yourself a cheesecake. It's just juice. Enjoy!

Edited by cookarue

Yes, if you really dive into research you will find there is plenty of Protein. Plus you can always add powders to the juices.

I say look at elephants, gorillas... Anything that eats plants and fruits and veggies. They are extremly strong and healthy, with out animal Protein.< br />
Check out juicerecipes.com. Put in different ingredients and it will tell you the protein content.

Cookarue, well said :)

Everyones situation is unique. I am 60 lbs overweight, I never struggled with over eating, I never went to a doctor and spoke about my weight. I just went and did it. I knew my health was bad I been suffering from it for many years, and I been on so much meds it contributed me getting bigger, plus I had hypothyroid. Ever since I got this done and its only been almost 3 months, this is the best time I felt in years. Getting fruits and veggies by juicing is the only way for me to have it. I tried many times eating stuff I don't like and I can't do it.

I don't need a NUT or doc telling me what to do, I do what is right for me. They didn't have the surgery. I did. And once my weight is normal, I will be getting tests to see how my nutrition is.

Edited by skp

Try a week :) just juice to your hearts content. A few tips

juice mainly veggies and add a sweet fruit or 2. When you juice just fruit add Protein powders or add greens. And add fibre as well it slows down the sugar absorption. Also if you Water down the juice the sugar content is lower.

Apples is the most highest so far in sugar content along with high carb which is mostly the sugar. Its awesome in green juices. And lemon helps get rid of the green taste.

My fav green juice so far is

Celery cucumber apple, lemon ginger and a cup of greens. The lemon nutralizes the greens so it taste like a lemonade to me. And you can use any greens. Spring mix and spinach is my fav, can use kale. If you are starting off use spinach, but make sure you rotate after a while.

If anyone needs any advice or help, ill try my best :)

And ill post more of my fav recipes as well...

Carrot beet orange lemon ir ginger is my fav juice with carrots and beets. Its miore sweeter becuase of the root veggies, and higher in carb.

I also like carrot apple ginger. And sweet potato blueberry mint.

I like pineapple and mango, orange. All citrus can be interchangabally mixed. Same with the greens. You can use just celery or just cucumber. My hint also use a veggie thats high Water content with ones that make less juice. More bang for your buck. I dont like celery by its self mixes well with cucumber, since its neutral tasting and it tones down the celery.

http://www.juicingscience.com

Great website for explaining the science of Juicing ::)