Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't wait to start enjoying shopping

Today flipping through some clothing sites, honestly I got a little excited that I will be able to buy regular sized, cute clothes. Husband better get a raise.

How did everyone else deal with clothing as they lost weight?

I already have some shirts and pants that are too small, many brand new because they were too small when I bought them but I didn't get them returned in time. I figure until I get to maintaining stage I will just a few pants, shirts and work out gear as I need them. Luckily there are some well stocked used clothing places near me as once I get into non plus sizing.

But once I get to my goal weight, I plan to buy some nice clothes. I never spend money on clothes for me because I hate trying to find stuff in 2x & 3x. Oh how nice it will be to look for cute things in 8's

Anyone wanna brag and post cute clothes you now fit in?

Edited by csawesome

Buying new clothes is SO exciting! I love going in the stores and trying on clothes now. It feels really good to be out of size 18/20 and 2x's -- bye bye Lane Bryant and ALL plus sized clothes and clothing stores! I haven't reached my goal yet, but I've come a long way!

Hold on to the clothes you can't wear right now, and buy clothes at discount stores like Mashall's and TJ Maxx until you reach goal. You will find yourself needing new sizes pretty quickly, and this will save you some money.

Good luck on your journey!

I am quite the opposite .... I still *HATE* shopping!!! :( I think I still have body-image issues in that I really don't see myself in the size I truly am.

That said, how did I deal with the changing sizes?? At first I kept my bigger sizes until people started to tell me I was swimming in them. Then I decided to go the thrift store/Goodwill route. I spent about $50-$60 and got 4-5 outfits that I could mix & match. When I started to outgrow these, I would hit up the thrift store again.

I am now almost 11 months post op and I have lost 127lbs and gone from a size 28/30 to a 12. My first "real" new clothes shopping was about 2 weeks ago. Hubby insisted on going shopping and I ended up getting 3 pairs of pants and 2 new tops. Couldn't manage more, as I am a bit disproportionate right now and had to try on EVERYTHING.

Maybe at some point I will enjoy shopping more, but right now it is more out of necessity (keep my clothes ON me) than out of enjoyment.

Good luck to you ... it sounds like you will have a blast when you get to the point of needing new threads!

I plan to thift store for a while too. I did laugh about keeping your clothes ON, I am still wearing my 24 jeans that I bought just after I started this journey, they fall down all day but I am still a little too big for 22s. I feel like people much laugh when I am hiking my pants up all day.

Do people lose weight evenly? I have a large belly but otherwise I am pretty evenly fat. I am wondering of I will lose evenly? My aunt had the band done last year and she lots 90% of her weight from the top, but hardly any from the bottom. She ended up getting additional surgery to remove fat from her legs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I'm not sure anyone looses evenly. It depends on your body type from the beginning. I know I have lost in my butt and there wasn't anything back there to loose. My stomach is shrinking but not nearly as fast as I would like.

I went from a tight size 24 and 3x to a 14 / 16 now. I'm an XL in tops. I was buying jeans in all sizes on the way down and it got really expensive because I was going through clothes so fast. I'm holding pretty steady right now so I went to the outlet mall and got some spring/summer clothes. I still have 50 pounds to loose, but I don't think it is going to come off nearly as fast as before.

Have fun with your clothes shopping on the way down. It is great to shop at the regular sizes again.

I love shopping, but agree that Goodwill & Savers are the way to go. I've dropped from a 20W to an 8 in 9 months, and it's great that everything fits me, but I couldn't afford to keep buying proper sized clothes if I didn't get them cheap!

Initially my clothes just started fitting as they should have. I should have been in a 26, but owned mostly 24's. I also had 22's and 20's on hand from prior weight loss. I didn't start buying clothes till I was in 20's and definitely 18's. I used thrift stores a lot and bought any size, even if it didn't fit yet. If I bought new, I wouldn't pay more than $20 an item. Each size lasted me about six weeks. I'm currently transitioning into 14's in pants, I'm a large to XL in tops. I'll also need new bras soon., currently 38dd (down from 46dd). I think I'll end up a 36d. (I won't skimp on bras, to important) And also, I'm gradually replacing shoes. Wide widths flop off my feet now, so I need standard, some times I can even go a size smaller than usual.

For me I was in a 24/26 for most everything and now am in 16/18s so being able to find things that fit is amazing because I can find something wherever I go now. I even have been getting things from the jrs section at a few places which just amazes me. I have been going to places like burks and Ross stores and pay at the most 10-13$ per item. I am trying to not get too much at once because I know I will not need it for too long as I still have about 75lbs to lose. I have even found a few cute things at Walmart to get me thru for now. As for my too big clothes I have found a plus size consignment store that is selling them for me to give me the money to get new things as I shrink. [emoji6]

Personally, I'm not much for thrift stores. For some reason, it has become very important to me during this process of losing weight to indulge myself, when it comes to clothes. Every time I go down one or two sizes, I buy myself pretty things. I didn't care before, because finding clothes and a size 28/30 that actually reflected Who I am was very nearly impossible. Even though it costs more money, it allows me to Celebrate myself often. And since great adorable closer so hard to find in big sizes I know I can always sell off my old wardrobes, and get some seed money for the next round. I love clothes.

When the weight loss was rapid, I did a fair amount of consignment shopping for work clothes. You can find some nice, upscale consignment shops if you look. I couldn't justify paying full retail when I knew I would only wear it a couple of months at most. I also did more skirts than pants because you can get away with skirts being a little big. When pants get big, your butt gets saggy. :-)

In any case, I LOVE shopping now. I had a blast refilling my closet once I hit my goal weight. I basically got to rebuild my whole wardrobe. I ADORE shopping for bikinis (which I never had before). I have more than I would like to admit now. Lingerie is another thing I love shopping for that I never really did before. But normal things like boots that I can easily fit into now, skinny jeans, curve-hugging clothes. It's so much fun!

And also, I'm gradually replacing shoes. Wide widths flop off my feet now, so I need standard, some times I can even go a size smaller than usual.

OOOOOooooo!! I forgot about shoes!!! I have dropped from wide width (unless it is in boots ... still need wide calf) *and* I lost an entire size too! Had to start slowly buying new shoes, especially running sneakers. UGH! Never realized how quickly my feet size would change after WLS!!!

Edited by WorkinOnMe

So far it looks like I am the only guy that has commented in here so far. I was also going to suggest shopping at second hand stores such as Savers, and other thrift stores for clothing. I have a local retailer in my town that buys old stock from normal department stores like Marshalls, Sears, JC Penny, ect and resells them at 20 -75% off retail prices. That place is called 1/2 off 1/2 and I love it. I have saved so much money by shopping there. So I have been going there as well as Savers, and Walmart. Yes my ass has been going to Walmart and buying clothes out of there. To go from a 5XLT to now wearing an XLT and a 58/60 waist to now a 38 waist, finding myself buying clothes in a non big and tall section of a store, or just B&T store altogether is very exciting. Never was a huge clothes shopper cause whenever I would go before I would only find out how I've gained weight. So to see it doing the reverse of that trend and seeing how I'm getting into smaller and smaller clothing is like some sort of emotional high. Anyway I'm not that far off from the weight goal that I'm shooting to be at, so I don't see me shrinking too much anymore either. I see me finally stopping at like a 34/36 waist and maybe a Large or LT large/Tall in shirts. But honestly I'm very happy where I'm at right now in a 38 waist and an XLT shirt. Just need to firm up my mid section (belly/ass/the giblets)

Edited by BigTink2LilTink

I've become a huge online sale shopper for work clothes especially. I've gone from a 50 to a 36 in pants, a 54 to a 44 in jackets and from 3XL to L in shirts. I am buying a new size every six or eight weeks and I buy the minimum possible that I could get away with at work. Its been a bit expensive but every time I hit a new size I feel like I won the lottery. It's so different buying clothes and having a problem because the size you chose is too BIG!!!!!!!