Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

IUD - What should I expect?

All right, lay it on me...for those of you that have had an IUD inserted, how bad is it? I'm having a Mirena put in on Friday (age 35, no kids) because I suck at birth control. I've looked up the actual procedure, so I know what will happen in what order, but I'm more interested in the discomfort level, especially given that NSAIDs are a no go. Will I be okay to go out that evening? How long until I feel 'normal'?

When I needed an endometrial biopsy a year and a half ago I thought I was being smart by not looking into it, figuring I'd just get myself all scared and tense and make it worse. That was not the way to go, because it hurt like a <insert choice expletives here> and I wasn't the least bit prepared. Not making that mistake again.

I can't help you with your question, as I've just been on birth control pills all of my adult life. However, I'm curious about how you are managing your Vitamins if you "suck at birth control"? For me, taking all my vitamins post-op was easy, in large part due to the fact that I was already so used to taking my birth control every day.

CHMD, There is no pain the whole thing takes about 10 including getting dressed. lol i have had the merena for about 13 years now (changing every 5 years) it was one of the best things i ever did as i was not good with birth control pills ( they blew me up) the discomfort that you get is just that i little discomfort that will go away within in hour. i just take a motrin right before going in (lol)

I can't help you with your question, as I've just been on birth control pills all of my adult life. However, I'm curious about how you are managing your Vitamins if you "suck at birth control"? For me, taking all my Vitamins post-op was easy, in large part due to the fact that I was already so used to taking my birth control every day.

I'm not going to lie...I suck at taking my vitamins too. Just like I sucked at taking my blood pressure meds before that. I keep moving my vitamins all over the house thinking "Maybe if I put them here I'll remember."

Its something I'm working on. Lol

CHMD, There is no pain the whole thing takes about 10 including getting dressed. lol i have had the merena for about 13 years now (changing every 5 years) it was one of the best things i ever did as i was not good with birth control pills ( they blew me up) the discomfort that you get is just that i little discomfort that will go away within in hour. i just take a motrin right before going in (lol)

Fingers crossed that I share this experience. :D

When I had the mirena I had 1 child previously, and there was some cramping when it was inserted then a little bleeding, not bad for the 5 yrs of birth control and not having to take a pill everyday!! [emoji6]

Mirena is a great product once it is in but as someone else who has bit had children, I hate to tell u this but it hurts. They have to pry your cervix open which is worse since u haven't had children. It was definitely worse than the endometrial biopsies I had. It is brief pain (seriously less than a minute if that long) but during that time, it is intense. I took 800mg Advil before but you can't do that now. I would at least take 2 Tylenol before and maybe that will take the edge off a little. My sister was offered a muscle relaxer to take before the procedure for her 2ND one but had to have someone drive her. You might call drs office and see if they offer something like that (as long as u have someone to take u). During the procedure, try focus on a spot on the ceiling and concentrate on your breathing. It will be over quickly.

I don't remember if it hurt a lot afterwards. I don't recall that it did other than just cramping. A heating pad will help. No way to know if u can go out that night but I wouldn't make any definite plans or make sure it is something you can cancel.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

It wasn't the insertion that hurt so much (although it did a bit) as it was the "sounding," where they put a rod into your uterus to measure the length beforehand. That was the most intense cramping I've ever felt or could imagine. Way worse than my endometrial biopsy by far.

The good thing is that it is brief. You yell/curse/whatever, and then it's over. I did have cramping afterwards and had to go home and stay on the couch with a heating pad. Next day all was well.

Everyone will be different on this. I've had it twice and didn't experience the cramping and pain others have. There was a pinch when they dilated my cervix (I'm assuming that's what caused the pinch), mild discomfort that I couldn't even describe as cramping and then it was done.

Insertion was mildly uncomfortable. Similar to period cramps. If you have heavy cramping during periods, it may be similar for a couple days after insertion. Totally worth it, IMO.

Okay so 2 people say its worse than an endometrial biopsy. That procedure had me bedridden for 3 days, cramping badly for 2 weeks, and traumatized to the point that my uterus would spasm literally every time I laid down for 3 weeks. Its funny, I have one of the highest pain tolerances of most people I know, yet somehow I just can't handle the internal gynecological stuff. My gyn jokes that he'd hate to see how I'd handle a pregnancy.

I think I'm going to rescedule so I don't have to give up my weekend. I don't get out much, and I'm really looking forward to it. Lol. I can't say I'm not scared now, but I'd still rather know what to expect. Thank you all for your input. :D

@ There are some good apps available that will remind you about taking you Vitamins and any other meds. Maybe try that?

I had an iud paraguard put in. The procedure was uncomfortable but not horrible. Afterwards, however, I bled for about 20 days out of the month. I thought it would pass, but it didn't. I kept it in for about 4-5 months before finally getting it removed. I think I'd rather go with any other form of bc after that. Lol. My situation was unique I think, but it's my experience. No permanent harm was done thankfully.

I had an IUD inserted after having 2 kids, the youngest at the time was 8. The insertion was uncomfortable but not painful. I didn't take any medication. However, after 7 months of having it in and continuing to have a period every month, I started experiencing severe abdominal pain. Went to the E.R twice to have a call back 2 days after the second time to tell me I was pregnant and should go see my gyno. Went to the gyno she did an ultrasound and BAM! 5 months pregnant

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@ There are some good apps available that will remind you about taking you Vitamins and any other meds. Maybe try that?

I think what I need to do is put a container of assorted Vitamins everywhere I might possibly be: bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, livingroom, car, purse, in-law's, etc. That way wherever I am when I think of it they'll be right there. Having to go to another room to get them increases the chance that I'll get distracted given that I have the attention span of a squirrel. Lol

I had an iud paraguard put in. The procedure was uncomfortable but not horrible. Afterwards, however, I bled for about 20 days out of the month. I thought it would pass, but it didn't. I kept it in for about 4-5 months before finally getting it removed. I think I'd rather go with any other form of bc after that. Lol. My situation was unique I think, but it's my experience. No permanent harm was done thankfully.

I've read up on both of them and the deciding factor for me was the effect on the menstrual cycle. Paragard tends to make periods heavier and more frequent, while Mirena tends to make them lighter and less frequent. I'm accustomed to maybe one period a year, and I'd like to return to that. The monthly periods while on the NuvaRing were just annoying, though I've read that the periods may be stronger with either IUD in the first couple months while the body is adjusting to it. As long as it levels out, I'll be happy. :)

I had an IUD inserted after having 2 kids, the youngest at the time was 8. The insertion was uncomfortable but not painful. I didn't take any medication. However, after 7 months of having it in and continuing to have a period every month, I started experiencing severe abdominal pain. Went to the E.R twice to have a call back 2 days after the second time to tell me I was pregnant and should go see my gyno. Went to the gyno she did an ultrasound and BAM! 5 months pregnant

Well there's a wild experience. Lol. You are now the second person I've heard of who has fallen pregnant while using an IUD. I hope everything turned out safely for you. Here's hoping I stay in the 99.8% and don't join you though!

I opted for the Depo Provera shots. No daily pills, no Nuvaring (my daughter saw the commercial about the bad side effects of it and I stopped using it). Just once every three months, and that's it. I don't even have periods anymore. I'm loving that!!! And I haven't gained weight with it. It even says that average weight gain is five pounds. The weight I have gained is due to PCOS and not being able to exercise like I'd like to. Just thought I'd share an alternative to pills.