Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Here I go again... need to get it together.

March 1, 2013..... I am three years out, my highest weight 270, lowest 153 now 180.... I need to put myself in check and need to get back on the horse. It is so easy to go back to old habits, a piece of this or that.. the only thing I really managed to stay away from was carb beverages. I need to eat less and move more, I need to listen to myself when I am full and not push to eat that last bite. My new clothes are getting snug, and I am just so mad at myself. I just need to get it together.....

It seems pretty common for people as far out as you to just get kind of complacent and have bad habits creep back in. So you are not alone! At least you are taking stock and trying to turn things around. A 25 pound gain is a lot to overcome, but if you are anything like me, pre-op it would have been a 75 pound gain before I did anything about it! You can do it! You know what you need to do and you can make it happen!

"I feel your pain" as they say! My highest preop was 289, and had gotten to 165 after 18 months, now 190 and I could kick myself. Clothes tight; check. Eating wrong foods; check. Not moving enough; check. Take heart though, I got back on track four weeks ago and am feeling much better and doing better on all three counts. You can do this @hjtj112 and I wish you well with it.

My biggest learning has been that this time it's going to take a lot longer. I don't have that helpful momentum, and am now learning I need more calories within more specific macros. This means I'm really lucky to lose 1.5-2 pounds a week instead of that euphoric 3-4 I could lose before. Still, it is going in the right direction, and I'm slowly shifting into knowing this is what is best for me. (My trainer would be so pleased to hear this!)

Let us know how you're doing--good luck!

do you feel getting a trainer helped?

Instead of thinking of yourself as a mess-up who is regaining weight, think of yourself as a regular person who could stand to lose 25 pounds. Hey, girl......if you can lose 121, you can lose 25. Hang in there!

BP has gone crazy...

BP has gone crazy...

Here is my personal observation - over time it is easy to "slip" but it doesn't mean you are crazy binging or anything. I have friends who were never obese and they struggle with appetite, Portion Control, desire for delish but junky food... it is a lifelong thing...

So, I don't consider a small regain as any kind of failure, but rather as the normal part of life! The key is to get on top of it quickly like you are doing.

As best I can tell, regardless of the procedure you choose, at some point your capacity increases and your hunger is more. I am 4 years + years post sleeve, and I can eat way more and I do get hungry. The difference is, I am fighting to stay in the 150s, not under 300#, my hunger is much less exetreme and while my capacity has grown,, it is not nearly as much as I had presleeve.

What has worked well for me to get back under goal is intermittant fasting (like 5:2), intense exercise and dilgence with food intake.

I weighed 157 this week which is frustrating because I was in the low 150s. My current kidney stone nightmare has me bloated and looking about 12 weeks pregnant. :(

I am 34 months post-op RNY surgery. Here is my experience with the Maintenance phase. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery2.pdf

Yes, @PinkPolkadot619 having a trainer has helped immeasurably. Just be sure you get one who listens to you and whose approach and knowledge you can respect. I'll bet you can tell from the first get-to-know session. Mine knows I'm really wanting to lose weight, and so has finally convinced me that for my history and metabolism I need to be more consistent with my macros as well as getting to the gym 4 times a week if possible, but 3 times a week without fail. It's actually working, albeit slowly.

@@CowgirlJane I'm really sorry you've got a kidney stone - ouch. I know from your posts that you're really active so I imagine this makes it much harder. Hope it's over soon! You are so right about getting on a gain right away - I wish I'd done that when it started to creep up, and done it more reasonably. I tried to go 'drastic' - like back to original post op diet - and that made me more susceptible to going headlong off plan more than I might have.

And like so many have said, @hjtj112, - we ARE getting on it now, and that's what counts, and this time we aren't starting from 268 lbs (289 in my case) either. Give yourself an 'attagirl' for that one!

Edited by katesuccess

You can do this! You are human, and it's OK!

You know that the old adage "eat less, move more" is just that old. It is more about what you are eating not how much. I have just started reading "fat chance" by Dr Robert Lustig. So far the talk is about too much sugar, in any form! You CAN and will get the 25 pounds off! You have done it before, you can do it again. One day at a time, never trade what you want the most for what you want at the moment!!

I lost 110 pounds the first year or so, and have gained half of them back. I have done the reset, South Beach, counting carbs, etc. I do well for a week or two, and then gradually fall back into snacking, sweets, comfort foods. I am so tired of plain Protein. I am wondering where to turn now. Do I try the same thing again and again, or do I try something new? It seems the more restrictive my attempts are, the worse I fall off. I know what I need to do, I just don't know how to do it so that I can stick to it forever. I also know tracking helps, and I get daily exercise, but maybe not enough. I guess my biggest disappointment is that it comes right down to "willpower" again. The first year there was no willpower involved... I was satisfied and full with what I was supposed to eat and the weight fell off. Not so anymore. I know there are no easy answers, and I don't mean to be negative, because I have no regrets. The sleeve was the best thing that has happened to me. If anyone can help me... Not by telling me WHAT to do, because I know that, but HOW to do it, I would be eternally grateful. Just coming back here and reading about others who have struggled and won, has been uplifting. Thank you!

Your story sounds a lot like mine except I'm almost six years out and at 210#. I work full time, go to school part time and have two tweenagers. I am able to stay away from the white carbs most of the time but have no energy. I need to find some motivation and get back to it. You are not alone.

Sent from my XT1254 using the BariatricPal App

My mom, who has always fallen within the normal BMI range also has her days when she feels she lacks motivation to get on the treadmill or get some physical exercise, yet she does it 90% of the time. She very rarely buys junk food that she is tempted to eat, and eats the same type of meals everyday.

My mother-in-law who is obese doesn't exercise. Period. She buys ice-cream, chocolate chips, Cookies, juice, etc. She will bake Cookies with my daughter some weekends, say she is bringing them to church, then ends up eating half of them herself.

I think I fall somewhere between the two of them. Focused and motivated or hanging out in complete and utter denial where guilt is camped out just over the horizon. food is much more addictive to me than it is to my mom, but I am not my mother-in-law, nowhere near her.

When I get really bored with my food choices, I hear my dietician in my head, "Food is not entertainment. Ask any thin person you know and they'll tell you they eat the same thing most everyday". And damn it, she's right. I so hate it when she's right.

So I am back to my usual Protein bar, 80 calorie yogurt, Beans, chickpeas, tofu, daiya cheese, blah, blah, blah. Not entertained, but fighting the good fight, I guess.