Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bariatric Pal Team MX and Dr. Jalil Illan

13 hours ago, pegrae said:

Amy, Dr. Illan is amazing! His team is the best. Join our Facebook group. You will find a group that cares and wonderful families new to you. When you join, tag me Peggy Bourassa. I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Hi!! Can you tell me which Facebook group it is? I’m having trouble finding it.

6 hours ago, Bill Yanez said:

@amyoliviaa

Please feel free contacting me if I can answer any questions you may have.

Thank you so much!! I will definitely be calling you and Dr. Illan!! I’m so nervous.

Does Dr. Illan do the VSG revision duodenal switch surgery?

I have had a very interesting journey and it continues. I had s lap band done in 2008 in Tijuana Mx by Dr Corvala. That experience was better than the ones I’ve had in the states. I am a nurse, so when I say it was very impressive, it was one where I would consider having other procedure in the future. Over 7 years I had fills and un-fills because I could not tolerate a lot of fills and it got to where I had no fill for a couple of years... needless to say, I could no longer tolerate the fills anymore and went through my next surgery in 2014, through my insurance where I had my lap band removed and a VGS done. I only lost 50lbs in 6 months, despite my working out (I found a love for spinning) and eating small meals and drinking my Premier Protein shakes. My weigh got down to 195lbs from my surgery weight of 252 lbs...
today I am 4 years post VSG. I weigh 252lbs gaining my weight back. I went to my insurance and asked to be evaluated for surgery to add the malabsorption to my VSG, I asked to see my surgeon that did my VSG because in my initial consultation we discussed doing a lap band removal and a gastric bypass. He talked me in to the VSG say that if needs to add the malabsorption to my VSG by converting to a Gastric bypass or DS. Long story short, I had a UGI series recently showed her I have not stretched my sleeve and he recommends me going back to square diet wise to loose the weight.
So I have gained weight because, I had to stop working out due to chronic plantar fasciitis and a new diagnosis of fibromyalgia... I still eat mostly Proteins because it makes my stomach feel so much better. I need to go back to drinking more Water, but I feel like a failure despite my efforts. I do 5k walk runs when I can(I have very active friends and I enjoy doing these with them) but now these days, it’s very difficult.. now my planter fascitiis is better, I am having problems with my knees and having to get shots in them...

So I believe if I had that malabsorption component to my surgery, as a tool: it would help me loose weight and keep it off so I can work out..

I am feeling like I do not want to deal with the bureaucratic issues with my insurance , so I’m thinking about going back to Mexico. I am researching currently a surgeon who can do the 2nd stage Duodenal Switch. I see people talking about Dr Illano but I don’t get the impression that he does a lot of these. There is a Dr Ungson in Mexicali who did them more often than most bariatric surgeon, but no longer works for the bariatric center, due to him taking on a job with the government. I heard Dr. Esquerra in Mexicali learned under Dr Ungson does them just as often.
Has anyone had a duodenal switch or VSG revision with any of these physicians I just mentioned?