Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band to gastric bypass revision info

Hello! I am new to this forum and I am looking for some help/insight. I was banded in 2010 and lost over 90 pounds my first 15 months. Felt great and then I started having the same issues and problems that many people have, terrible reflux, vomiting, difficulty with solid food. Reflux so bad I can't lay down or eat. I am also having pain in my port site. Slider foods are the only thing I can eat and not get sick or get stuck. I get stuck on eggs!!! I am so over this lap band and deeply regret my choice. Several fills/Unfills/adjustments and I am still not where I need to be. My weight is creeping up close to surgery date weight and I am miserable most days. Anyone have the same issues? I have an appointment with a new surgeon next week (the surgeon that did my surgery is no longer in state) and I don't know what he will say. I am hoping and praying I can get a revision because I am miserable and uncomfortable daily. Any tips? Insurance issues? I am so appreciative of any support and insight.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi there! Your story is, almost, identical to mine! I was banded in 08, list about the same amount of weight, had the same issues, etc. My surgeon said the band is, basically, garbage and needed to come our. He also said that without something, I was sure to gain all of my weight back. I am scheduled for a revision to bypass on the 29th. I have UHC and no issues at all! Once submitted, it was approved in a little over one week. I am THRILLED!!! I hope yours goes just as smoothly.

I already feel better!!!! I am happy to know that I am not alone with the band. Did you have any pain in your stomach? When I lay down sometimes I get a dull persistent pain. I am hopeful my outcome is like yours. I have high mark bcbs insurance. Thank you again!!

I am happy to answer anything I can for you! With me, it got yo where I ended up in the er because I wasn't even able to keep liquids down. I got completely unfilled for a couple months and, with my first small refill, was right back where I was when I visited the ER. They sent me for an upper GI. One doc said it had slipped, the other (my current surgeon) said he didn't see a slip but if was definitely messed up and needed removal. I had a constant dull burn even when I took my Prilosec.

This is almost identical to my story. I was banded in 08, and lost 90 lbs. started having bad reflux and inhaling stomach acid in my sleep, which resulted in a few hospital stays with aspiration pneumonia. Had to have band un filled and gained all the weight back plus and extra ten. Currently working towards a revision to gastric bypass.

My story as well! Except I am a little further along. I had my band for nearly 12 years. Banded in 04. Lost 90 lbs. Trouble began. I converted to bypass on 9/15/15 and have been at my goal weight of 165 for 6 months. Life is good! This surgery is night and day from the band. My dr. still places bands and I scold him about it all the time. Success rate is much too low. Good luck!

My story as well! Except I am a little further along. I had my band for nearly 12 years. Banded in 04. Lost 90 lbs. Trouble began. I converted to bypass on 9/15/15 and have been at my goal weight of 165 for 6 months. Life is good! This surgery is night and day from the band. My dr. still places bands and I scold him about it all the time. Success rate is much too low. Good luck!

How much have you lost with the bypass if you don't mind me asking? And how long did it take?

I am on process of fulfilling insurance requirements in order to get revision to RNY and I am nervous I won't lose will even with bypass. I have extremely slow metabolism, I hit a plateau 2nd week after lap band surgery, hearing that the weight loss is slower after revision makes me very nervous. I have about 120 lbs I want to lose to be at goal.

Guess I need some emotional pick me up here :)

How much have you lost with the bypass if you don't mind me asking? And how long did it take?

I am on process of fulfilling insurance requirements in order to get revision to RNY and I am nervous I won't lose will even with bypass. I have extremely slow metabolism, I hit a plateau 2nd week after lap band surgery, hearing that the weight loss is slower after revision makes me very nervous. I have about 120 lbs I want to lose to be at goal.

Guess I need some emotional pick me up here :)

I have lost 107 lbs with the bypass. I had gained back the 90 I lost with the band. It took me a year. That was quick enough for me. You'll be fine. This surgery works!

Thank you all so much for the info!!! How was the insurance process for the revision? Also was your band removed at the same time as the bypass? How was the recovery?

My insurance process was very easy. I received same day approval! My band was removed at the same time. I was on pain killers longer than some people are, but I was back to work 1/2 days after 1 1/2 week and full days at 2 weeks.

I too am in the process of band to Sleeve revision. I was banded in 2014 and about 6 months in started having issues. I actually lost more weight prior to being banded. I moved from Indiana to ohio and after a trip to the ER and lots of discomfort I am starting the process over! Upper GI says band slipped. And EGD says the the band removal and revision can be done in 1 surgery. Meeting with the Nutritionist on Thursday. Hoping for a June surgery date!!! As far as the insurance goes, it's new insurance for me but the doctors office says it shouldn't take long. She says the doctor knows how to write the office notes for easy approval. So I guess we'll see. Good luck to you on your journey!!!

Sent from my SM-T350 using the BariatricPal App

Thank you for the good wishes!!! I hope everything works out for you too. Hopefully we will both get passed this band and be off to better things. Best of luck to you!!

I'm having a revision on 3/28. I to had lost 90 lbs and, then I started having problems vomiting when eating. I went back to the surgeon and I had a UGI which showed a dilated esophagus. He took all the saline out. It was like that for 3 months, and still unable to have a fill. Then it was recommended for me to have a revision. My insurance denied me at first. I typed up a 3 page letter stating all of the problems that I am having with the band. I also called the insurance company to find out what type of physician reviewed my case. It was an internal medicine dr. In my letter I requested that a bariatric surgeon review my case, and I was approved right away. I can't wait for the band to come out. I chew so many tums! Lol.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

Wow!!!! We are very similar! I am having the same issue vomiting when I eat. There are times when I am places with friends, co-workers that I don't want to eat because I know what will happen. I have been taking such high doses of protonix for reflux that my insurance won't cover my additional doses anymore . Do you mind me asking what kind of insurance you have? I live in Pa and have highmark bcbs. What great advice about asking what kind of doctor reviewed the case, I would never have thought of it. Thank you!!!