Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Hate my Lap Band

I really hate my lap band. I wish I had never had it. I hate not being able to eat solid Proteins without mayonnaise.. I am so sick of Mayonnaise. I am sick of vomiting because I ate too fast, or it was the wrong food, or I ate too much, or the food is too dry... see mayonnaise. I am sick of not being able to eat healthy food. And it freaking HURTS with any of the above. This is NOT worth the 40lbs I have lost in a year and a half and all of that was right at the beginning. I am struggling more than I ever have.

I have asked to have it removed.. but my insurance won't cover it so I am stuck with this horrible thing. What medical reasons can I have it removed for?

I do not feel the same as you, I love my band. I love the fact I have lost around 75lbs, it was well worth it for me. But I do feel for you. I have had my band since May of 2012, and I too miss eating some foods.

But as for you...you could go to your doctor and have him/her unfill your band completely. Maybe that would solve a lot of the not being able to eat solid Protein or vomiting when you eat too fast. I know when I had complications and had to have my band unfilled, I was able to eat anything (I hated that...I have no self control). If you have not given this a try maybe this would work.

I know a fellow LapBander who once a year for 1 one month will have her band unfilled so she can have a taste of bread, solid Protein and other things she is not able to eat with her band filled. Then after the month will have it filled again. I did consider doing this at one time, but decided against it. Maybe try this option. This is not the ideal thing to do, but realistically it may work for you...it does for my friend.

Good luck.

Edited by candtwalker

I actually can relate. I had my band emptied and I still can't eat most foods like salad or Proteins that are not drenched in some sauce or dressing. Right now as I type this I have Hard boiled egg stuck I my band...it's always been an issue since I had it placed in 2007.

I am currently in process of going through revision to RNY due to insufficient weight loss and heartburn. I still have to go through all of the insurance requirements same as first time around. We will be submitting to insurance in about 2 weeks so will see if I get approval. Insurance does need to see you have been compliant with the post op requirements etc. I would start looking into it more.

Edited by UsernameTaken

Your band is teaching you what you can and cannot eat, right? Eat too fast, get stuck. Eat the wrong kind of meat, get stuck. Eat the RIGHT kind of food, no worries. Chew everything until a paste and slow down, no worries.

See my post "Why I am in Love with My Band". It might offer some respectful and sage advice.

I hate mine too! I'm advising to the sleeve as soon as I possibly can.

Is your issue that you can't eat what you want? Or that you can't eat it the way you want? You should be able to eat solid Protein if you chew enough and take time between bites.

I'm a binge eater, and want to eat fast, in big volumes. The band doesn't let me do that, and it's incredibly frustrating.

Is that what you're experiencing?

On high-emotion days where I want to stuff my face, I get mad at the band. But I'd feel the same way with any bariatric surgery that won't let me eat...

My band can be frustrating also. I have come to peace with it.', even if it bothers me some days. I just baby it for a day or two and I seem to get decent results.

It is not always my choice what to have....it may have to be a Protein drink.... Or a protein bar....

For me, it IS better than being 250 lbs on a good day.

I get that others have a really rough time and it does not work for them.

I will support anyone's personal decision to have or not have WLS.

Just know that many of us find it difficult also.

I totally agree with you! I hate my band to and I had it since 2011 it's caused so much problems. Now I am revising it to sleeve next week however I am so afraid that I will have the same issue and its permanent procedure.

Well you have all really given me food for thought, no pun intended. I took a hard look at the way I eat and what I eat and I am prepared to try again to get it right. When I had just had surgery I think I was afraid of this band, I didn't want to do anything to make it slip or anything to go wrong. I ate exactly as I should and lost weight just as I should. The trouble started when I had an adjustment and the band was just too tight for me. Finally I went back and had it loosened a bit but by then bad habits had sunk in. I have spent the morning writing affirmations and I packed food today accordingly. I went out to eat last night and ate ridiculously too much and this morning I find myself scared I did something to my band. No symptoms just showing a change in my attitude to it I think. Thanks to everyone who replied and made me feel better. I will keep you posted.

Edited by shantra

That's exactly what happened to me at the beginning one year I was so afraid I ate by the book and yes I was still miserable and hungry at times even with all the adjustments I had but I was afraid to ruin my band so I would eat according so I wouldn't throw up. I almost never threw up. But once my doctor removed my liquid from my band I started to eat more and more everyday. Now I can't get back on track and my attitude changed towards the band I gave up on it. Oh the reason why my doctor removed the liquid is because I was having horrible dry mouth don't know if it's from reflex or what. I wanted to remove it all together and try on my own because I'm miserable and not happy all the time. I went thru so much and never lost a whole lot of weight just 30 ponds now I'm back to square one. My doctor insisted that I will gain more weight once I remove the band and that kind of scared me too. He wanted to do the sleeve but I am so tired to go thru the whole operation and liquids Vitamins etc. and not see results plus I read that some people have problems and some don't at all. It's a surprise so I wouldn't know what I will feel later good or bad. The thing that worries me is that it's irreversible. Also I was going to let you know be careful of over eating with the band because you can get dilation of the esophagus. Don't know if that's my case now. They haven't checked mine it's that awful metallic dry mouth I have that bothers me so much I can't taste anything and this all happened after the band. If you have any questions you can feel free to ask me.

I felt the same as you, I've had the band for 3+ years. Up until I had a slip last Sept. My surgeon emptied it completely, and yes, I blamed the band and wanted it out. I read all the horror stories and bought into them. Then doing my research and being with no restriction until about a month ago, I realized the band want at fault. The slip wasn't the band fault. It was mine. I hurt whenever I ate, I threw up whenever I ate. I was the one eating too fast, I was the one knowing I was eating too much, but would have just one more bite. It was me making myself miserable. I'm just now this month at proper restriction and I'm going too finally after 3 years, make the most of this. Sit down, take a good hard look at every situation that you were miserable with the band and maybe find out what was really going on. I'm not judging, and maybe your situation isn't like mine, but before you get discouraged and feel desperate to get it out maybe you can give it a go with the band.

Sent from my VS985 4G using the BariatricPal App

I have has a lapband since 2012, and yes, I've had my challenges. Being the last person at the table to finish a meal, not chewing carefully when I am out to dinner because I am talking and eating at the same time. But I now weigh in at 138 down from 290, so for me, it has been worthwhile.

Once in a while, I go back to my post surgery roots and spend 2 weeks on Protein drinks and Soups. This gives my body a rest, provides me with sufficient Protein, and sort of re-sets my resolve.

I hope you have better luck this time around. Just remember, slow and steady.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I have has a lapband since 2012, and yes, I've had my challenges. Being the last person at the table to finish a meal, not chewing carefully when I am out to dinner because I am talking and eating at the same time. But I now weigh in at 138 down from 290, so for me, it has been worthwhile.

Once in a while, I go back to my post surgery roots and spend 2 weeks on Protein drinks and Soups. This gives my body a rest, provides me with sufficient Protein, and sort of re-sets my resolve.

I hope you have better luck this time around. Just remember, slow and steady.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

This is inspiring

Sent from my VS985 4G using the BariatricPal App