Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Ladies,

If you haven't seen me on the sleeve forums, I'm expecting to have my sleeve surgery in the next few weeks with no date set yet.

I deal with PCOS as a lot of overweight gals do.

Recently, I've taken myself off of my hormonal birth control pills in anticipation of surgery and because of unwanted side effects (they've always made me a little bit nauseous and they make it difficult to achieve orgasm...who knew!). I'm going to be getting a non-hormonal IUD for birth control this Friday, but there isn't anything now keeping the hirsutism in check. My chin is a mess now and I'm plucking dark hairs almost daily!

For the veterans who had PCOS, once you've lost the weight and the PCOS clears up, did your periods return back to normal? Did the hirsutism/extra Hair growth (tummy trail, chin, face) go away without additional hormone therapy?

Thanks ahead of time for sharing your experience!

-Ruth

I wish i could help here, I too have (had) PCOS. I was disagnosed at an early age of 13. Due to many reasons i had a complete hysterectomy at the age of 28 (2 years ago). I started a HRT (hormone replacement therapy) then but due to BP (blood pressure issues) and such i had to quit them about 4 months ago.. Since i had a complete i dont have periods but i am going thru menopause at the ripe age of 30 lol and i do have a hair on my chin that wotn go away lol.. and hot flashes INSANE !

I too have PCOS.. Your story mirrors mine almost to a t. I have had the Mirena IUD for about 2 years. I love the fact that I don't have to worry about taking yet another pill.. I'm on 5 medicines as it is and I was on metformin prior to surgery but was taken off of that about a month before.

I have every PCOS symptom, except the cyst. (go figure) my most bothersome is the hair growth. I can't tweeze because i get a ridiculous amount of ingrown hairs. I shave, sometimes twice a day. I was sleeved 2 months ago, dropped 41lbs and sadly I have not seen a difference in Hair growth. I am seriously thinking about trying laser hair removal. Its so expensive but at this point I'm ready to shell out the dough.

Edited to add... with the IUD.. I bled for about 5 months after the implant, not a lot but it was always there. I am regular now. My periods are more like spotting most of the time with an occasional "normal" 7 day cycle.

Even after having the 5 month long period I still say it was the best choice for us.

Edited by cindyw41

I am only 1.5 months out from surgery (down 40 lbs), but I have not seen a difference in hair growth. I can't speak to periods because I had a hysterectomy. I can't recall if this was posted on here or I found it elsewhere on the internet, but someone posted a chin pic from before and 1 year after surgery, and there was a huge reduction in the Hair growth. So that is promising!

Also, I used to pluck and bleach my chin hairs, but I finally resorted to shaving and it has made my life so much better. Not only are they easier to hide, it's just overall easier to deal with! Just throwing that out there ;)

I do have PCOS and a lot of chin hair. I shave once a day. It is the easiest and cheapest removal. I know to others it's a joke, but I do worry about just how much it would grow, if I weren't able to shave for say a week or more. YIKES!!! I would be the bearded lady. I too am hoping this weight loss will help diminish the Hair growth. At least that's what my doctor has always told me. I guess it's time to test that advice. Judging by these responses, I don't have much hope.

Maybe my body will be so smoking hot that no one will notice my chin and lip hair.

I have PCOS and plenty of chin hair. I shave it every day. I'm down 85 pounds and 5 months out. I would say the Hair growth is actually worse now. I think it is because of the Biotin in the Vitamins and also because there is less chin but the same amount of hair. I was told that once the hair starts growing the only way to get rid of it is by laser.

I don't exactly have pcos (formally) but I had lots of hair on my chin. I opted for laser removal (on my legs too) and it was the best $$ I've ever spent!! I used to shave/pluck but felt like everyone could still see it. With laser you can't tell the hair was ever there!!

I use hair removal pads you can get 80 for about 2 bucks on ebay plus shipping and 1 lasts 2-3 days. I use them every morning and find it way better then shaving although I am planning laser hair removal as soon as I loose my weight I am a lady with PCOS as well

I have PCOS and have dropped 94 lbs (RNY 10/6/15). I have not seen a difference in Hair growth at all...I still have to shave my chin and upper lip daily. My periods are not normal, but I got the Mirena as my spouse and I do not want any more children (we adopted our son) and I heard my fertility could skyrocket after the weight loss. I randomly get some light spotting now, but other then that I don't really have periods (not that I had them much before).

Edited by otillie03103

A good Tummy Tuck will do just that! And laser hair removal is totally worth every dime for face, chin, underarms.

My only hope for post surgery Hair loss is that if I get a tummy tuck they will snipping off my out of control happy trail. This thread is relevant to my interests tho.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Well, got my IUD. Went with Mirena on my doctor's suggestion, so I will have progestin still. Not sure if this will help with the hursitism, but I'm hoping so, at least until I get my surgery and am able to drop significant weight!

I use hair removal pads you can get 80 for about 2 bucks on ebay plus shipping and 1 lasts 2-3 days. I use them every morning and find it way better then shaving although I am planning laser hair removal as soon as I loose my weight I am a lady with PCOS as well

What hair removal pads do you use?

These are the ones I just search hair removal pads and go down until I see the cheapest ones. You can get them in the store for like 11 bucks by all the depilatory stuff but u only get 6.

post-286959-14585156768267_thumb.jpg

@@mizzzzzzT thank you!!