Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate to jinx myself, but I'm almost 6 mos out and haven't lost any hair. I guess it can still happen, but I'm hoping not. I do get all my Protein and Water in and my Multi-Vitamin has Biotin in it. Hopefully I'm one of the lucky ones and you will be too.

I'm wondering if age is a factor. Are you younger?

Dawnie_doo

I started losing hair at month 4, 5 and 6. Lost 50%. At month 7 it stopped falling out and it's growing back. Seems like month 4 is when the Hair loss starts for a lot of us. Doc said it's not Protein, it's hormones. I just accepted it and got through it. It was scary. But it's growing back great now.

Just curious, what did the doctor say about hormones? I know that surgery has it's impact. But is it also related to age? Did he recommend anything, or is it just part for the course?

Dawnie_doo

Basically that Hair loss happens to some sleevers and not to others. It is par for the course. I am 44. My periods are still not consistent. Even if you feel great, lots of things are going on inside your body. I lost 60lbs in 6 months. I take the herb maca for my hormones. It helps. I think whatever helps. Some swear by Biotin, more Protein, vitamins....I started with lots of curly, thick hair and it got thin. Lost about 6 inches. Everyone that's posted about hair loss seems to be like me...lost it for 3 mos then it tapered off. Washing it less often helped. Clumps literally fell out. It's so nice that it's stopped. Hope I helped.

Edited by TJBintheOC

I am a hairstylist and really think it is hormonal. I would see it in the salon all the time. Especially during pregnancy and afterwards. We would start doing Protein and conditioning treatments before and after delivery. Clients would eat a balanced diet and take all the precautionary steps. But some clients would lose a ton of their hair and some none at all. All hormonal. I started taking Biotin etc and take good care of my hair and hoping it doesnt shed. But I had a hysterectomy a few yrs ago (age 31) and I lost a lot of hair. My hormones were really out of wack. I also have been taking bcp as a hormone replacement. I am hoping since I haven't had a fluctuation of hormones since surgery that my hair won't shed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

I am a hairstylist and really think it is hormonal. I would see it in the salon all the time. Especially during pregnancy and afterwards. We would start doing Protein and conditioning treatments before and after delivery. Clients would eat a balanced diet and take all the precautionary steps. But some clients would lose a ton of their hair and some none at all. All hormonal. I started taking Biotin etc and take good care of my hair and hoping it doesnt shed. But I had a hysterectomy a few yrs ago (age 31) and I lost a lot of hair. My hormones were really out of wack. I also have been taking bcp as a hormone replacement. I am hoping since I haven't had a fluctuation of hormones since surgery that my hair won't shed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

Thanks for the info! It's very helpful! I'm curious, what's bcp?

Dawnie_doo

Edited by trinity33

I just went to my hair dresser and it turns out she got WLS done too! She recommended that I keep my hair short for at least 6 months after surgery so that there's less weight on the hair and if and when it does fall out it will be easier on the follicles when my hormones regulate and it grows back. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I chopped a foot off of my hair a little over a month ago to prepare for the Hair loss. It is falling out, not in clumps but I'm having a lot of shedding. So far it hasn't made a huge difference because I have REALLY thick hair.. It's the fact that I'm picking hair off of my shirts that bothers me. I've started taking every Vitamin that Google told me would help with hair loss, I'm hoping that'll at least slow it down!

I'm just over 4 months post op.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App