Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need input on the Hair loss after surgery and how it has been for all of you. I'm nervous about it. Please share your experiences, both positive and negative.

Dawnie_doo

By the way, I'm pre op!

Dawnie_doo

I'll be honest ... I lost a sh*t ton of hair after month 2-3 and it lasted through month 6. HOWEVER, it was not very noticeable on me because I had very thick hair. I could see a difference and it came out in handfuls everyday in the shower, but other people didn't see it. After month 6 post-op the loss started to slow significantly and it started to grow back. I am now 10 months post-op and although it is not thick like it used to be, I have almost no additional loss.

That said, I did not take any kind of supplements or additional Vitamins to try to combat it. But a family member had her WLS 2 months before me and she began taking something with Biotin, niacin (B3), and Vitamin C in it prior to the Hair loss starting. She saw only a little difference and she felt her hair actually grew more while taking it. I have heard mixed results with the Biotin supplements, but might be something to try if you are worried.

Good Luck!!

I'll be honest ... I lost a sh*t ton of hair after month 2-3 and it lasted through month 6. HOWEVER, it was not very noticeable on me because I had very thick hair. I could see a difference and it came out in handfuls everyday in the shower, but other people didn't see it. After month 6 post-op the loss started to slow significantly and it started to grow back. I am now 10 months post-op and although it is not thick like it used to be, I have almost no additional loss.

That said, I did not take any kind of supplements or additional Vitamins to try to combat it. But a family member had her WLS 2 months before me and she began taking something with Biotin, niacin (B3), and Vitamin C in it prior to the Hair loss starting. She saw only a little difference and she felt her hair actually grew more while taking it. I have heard mixed results with the Biotin supplements, but might be something to try if you are worried.

Good Luck!!

Thank you! I've actually been on biotin for years and it helped get stronger strands. Hopefully it works with the surgery.

Dawnie_doo

I had planned to shave my head and wear hats, but turns out I never lost a single strand of hair. In fact, my hair is longer and thicker than it's ever been. I did not take Biotin or use special shampoos. other people pile on the supplements and still lose. Basically If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen and there's nothing you can do about it. It's your body's reaction to the stress of surgery and basically starvation diet.

The only things I did that may or may not have contributed to no Hair loss were 1) I always met or exceeded my Protein goal 2) I take whole food based Vitamins with cofactors, enzymes and Probiotics for better absorption 3) I increased my calories as quickly as my restriction allowed so i wasnt starving my body and 4) I never stressed over the WLS procedure including the preop diet, surgery itself, stalls, hairloss, etc. .....mental stress is just as bad as physical stress.

I've lost about 1/3 of my hair. Started in earnest when I hit month 4. I was religious about taking Biotin, Vitamins, Protein before and after surgery. Levels are all great. This is just the result of the stress of surgery on my body. It SUCKS. I won't lie, but I wouldn't change getting this surgery for anything. The only + for me on the hair front is that it's fallen out uniformly so I have no balding Patches. I honestly don't think there's any pill I could take, anything different I could've eaten that would've changed this outcome. Just have to ride it out. I agree with pp the mental stress of this - have to forget it or I would only harm myself more. Just have to think wow my face is thin now and a ponytail looks OK. :-) I've cut back on stressful styling too.

3 1/2 months post op and just starting noticing more hair coming out when I shower. Can't tell thou and my hairdresser hasn't noticed either. I take Biotin 10000mg only cuz my NUT suggested it. Can't tell you if it really works by heck it can't hurt !

I lost a lot and it is just starting to come back in. My hair was already thinning before this on top so I was getting fairly self-conscious. I opted for doing some "alternative" hair and it (while more expensive) has resulted in no one noticing the loss. In fact my hair looks fantastic now. I posted some pictures on another thread but for the life of me I don't know how to find it now.

I ate lots of Protein, drank over 100 ounces of Fluid daily, and took a Biotin supplement. I never lost my hair. Maybe I'm just blessed that way, but maybe it was all that Protein and fluids that helped. Either way, they sure helped with my weight loss!

I'm almost 6 months post op and my hair has been falling out like crazy but thankfully I had a lot to begin with. My surgeon and nutritionist both told me that Hair loss post op has nothing to do with low levels or Vitamins or Protein or whatever. The anesthesia causes hair to go from the growing phase to the resting phase, which then eventually falls out around the three month park.This can happen with any type of surgery where anesthesia is used or any other stress to the body (such as pregnancy). The hair will eventually return to the growing phase. Some people don't lose any hair and others do. If you're going to then you're going to. Excess Protein or Vitamins won't help, as those aren't absorbed by the body anyway. Try not to worry too much because it will eventually grow back.

Here is a more informative article:

http://johnowentoday.blogspot.com/2012/07/hair-loss-after-illness-or-surgery.html

I need input on the hair loss after surgery and how it has been for all of you. I'm nervous about it. Please share your experiences, both positive and negative.

Dawnie_doo

By the way, I'm pre op!

Dawnie_doo

Am 3 weeks post op, my hair is falling out but just a bit, I take b supplements, because that is the one that gets absorbed faster by your stomach. It helps! But honestly so far my hair looks great.. only time will tell and not all bodies are the same, so just keep an eye on yours

Sent from my SM-G928T using the BariatricPal App

I'm almost 6 months post op and my hair has been falling out like crazy but thankfully I had a lot to begin with. My surgeon and nutritionist both told me that Hair loss post op has nothing to do with low levels or Vitamins or Protein or whatever. The anesthesia causes hair to go from the growing phase to the resting phase, which then eventually falls out around the three month park.This can happen with any type of surgery where anesthesia is used or any other stress to the body (such as pregnancy). The hair will eventually return to the growing phase. Some people don't lose any hair and others do. If you're going to then you're going to. Excess Protein or Vitamins won't help, as those aren't absorbed by the body anyway. Try not to worry too much because it will eventually grow back.

Here is a more informative article:

http://johnowentoday.blogspot.com/2012/07/hair-loss-after-illness-or-surgery.html

I actually read that article before. Good info. I guess I still wanted personal experiences. Thank you for sharing yours.

Dawnie_doo

My hair didn't fall out until month 5. It's just handfuls in the shower. Not its growing back so I have little strands everywhere. It's just part of the package - it's better than being heavy. I also get all my Protein and take Biotin.

I started losing hair at month 4, 5 and 6. Lost 50%. At month 7 it stopped falling out and it's growing back. Seems like month 4 is when the Hair loss starts for a lot of us. Doc said it's not Protein, it's hormones. I just accepted it and got through it. It was scary. But it's growing back great now.

I hate to jinx myself, but I'm almost 6 mos out and haven't lost any hair. I guess it can still happen, but I'm hoping not. I do get all my Protein and Water in and my Multi-Vitamin has Biotin in it. Hopefully I'm one of the lucky ones and you will be too.

I started losing hair at month 4, 5 and 6. Lost 50%. At month 7 it stopped falling out and it's growing back. Seems like month 4 is when the Hair loss starts for a lot of us. Doc said it's not Protein, it's hormones. I just accepted it and got through it. It was scary. But it's growing back great now.

Just curious, what did the doctor say about hormones? I know that surgery has it's impact. But is it also related to age? Did he recommend anything, or is it just part for the course?

Dawnie_doo