Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band removal/sleeve in 2 separate procedures

I am also an emotional eater but I have to mentally agree to not eat junk foods. After going on a very restrictive diet for 6 months I either choose to be strict or not at the end so now it take real mental effort to get into that mindset again. I am going to reduce carbs starting on Monday the 18th my surgery is scheduled on May 17th. It was emotionally hard to wake up from the surgery to remove the lap band and convert to the sleeve and not have the sleeve done. I have some many activities I wanted to be small for coming up and I feel like I would have been so much smaller if I had the surgery in Feburary. Better safe than sorry and with a ton of complications so I am happy with my surgeons decision to wait it's just very hard waiting!

My feelings exactly that is why i set a goal to lose 13 lbs before by my surgery date because that is the 10lbs i had estimated for Aprils loss. So if i do that i will be on track hopefully. so im setting up my new mini goals on paper again.

But like you said better safe than sorry just the wait is hard but exciting. another thing i am keeping myself busy with other than this forum(lol) is things i want to do around the house like do flooring in my living room get rid of the carpet (i hate carpet) empty out all my closets and organize. get my cleaning ladies to come in the week before i have surgery. purchase new patio furniture ect. ect. press checkout on my shopping websites.(i shop everyday on line i add things i take things out but never checkout because i wasnt sure my surgery was going to happen)change the closets from winter to spring summer outfits ect ect. i think it will definately keep me occupied.

That's so awesome and with your encouragement I just scheduled my therapy session for the last week in May. I scheduled it for after the surgery because I went to this therapist for a psych evaluation for my ins approval and I don't want any issues when I reveal my true concerns with weight. I am actually keeping very busy which made the 2 months since my lap band removal fly by. I am in the process of putting my home on the market which is not exactly stress free but it has kept my quite busy. I am so excited for my actual sleeve surgery and to realize my weight loss goals. I want to be back at 140 again which I know is attainable and that keeps me pushing forward. I am going to start my reduction in carbs on Monday which gives me a month to try to make some progress. I feel like I need some help like a weight loss supplement or appetite suppressant.

OK, well after reading this thread, I'm not feeling real good about my own chances of: 1. being approved for band to sleeve revision and 2. waking up sleeved as I hope. My surgeon said that he usually does it in 2 surgeries as it is safer. I was pretty upset when I heard this. He said in my case, he would assess the situation when he goes in and if the 'rind' isn't too terrible, he will remove the band and continue with the sleeve. I still have some hurdles to jump. First, insurance authorization and then waking up sleeved.....waaaaaah. Now I'm depressed, lol.

Don't be just do everything u have to. I went through 3 appeal Denied. And I took it to external appeal Approved. Yeahhhh. Went in for surgery for revision April 5th band had slipped doctor wanted it to heal. Woke up unsleeved rescheduled for sleeve may 24th. I know you feel very discouraged worn ed out overwhelmed anxious fustrated ect but don't give up it will happen. I was literally on the plain to mexico because I gave up i had to cancel my flight and wait 72 hours to get the external appeal outcome. When are u submitting to ins..

I agree just get through the process. You ultimately want what's best and healthy for your situation. My doctor could have very well sleeved me after my lap band removal in the same surgery but he chose to be safe and reduce any chances of a negative outcome. Your health is just that serious and if it takes a few months of healing the time flys fast. I am now 4 weeks away to my sleeve procedure and I am grateful I am in a much better condition now to receive it.

I agree just get through the process. You ultimately want what's best and healthy for your situation. My doctor could have very well sleeved me after my lap band removal in the same surgery but he chose to be safe and reduce any chances of a negative outcome. Your health is just that serious and if it takes a few months of healing the time flys fast. I am now 4 weeks away to my sleeve procedure and I am grateful I am in a much better condition now to receive it.

I know. Everything you both are saying is sensible. I am just an impatient person once the wheels are turning. My husband is being sleeved May 2, or maybe sooner if the surgery can be moved up sooner. I am supposed to follow 3-4 weeks after him, or so that is the plan, lol. Here's the major reason for my impatience and I think any lady and/or mom can relate. My youngest daughter is getting married on August 26 out of state. I need to have surgery ASAP, lose weight ASAP so that I can find a decent dress that will fit me as last minute as possible plus shoes, purse, etc etc. I don't even have decent casual wear and just wear muu-muu type housedresses around the house all day. I don't have one single item of clothing that is decent that I can take along and trying to find clothes that fit me now is horrible. I'm so fat and ugly. And my daughter wants me to walk her down the aisle. Please pray for a fast approval and best conditions so that I can awaken sleeved! Thank you :) I. am. so. nervous.

Don't be just do everything u have to. I went through 3 appeal Denied. And I took it to external appeal Approved. Yeahhhh. Went in for surgery for revision April 5th band had slipped doctor wanted it to heal. Woke up unsleeved rescheduled for sleeve may 24th. I know you feel very discouraged worn ed out overwhelmed anxious fustrated ect but don't give up it will happen. I was literally on the plain to Mexico because I gave up i had to cancel my flight and wait 72 hours to get the external appeal outcome. When are u submitting to ins..

My doctor is planning on doing mine in one procedure also but I am also nervous that when I wake up he could not do both. That would be so disappointing.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I had the same concerns. I was banded in 07 at 389 lbs. Lost weight all the way to 210. I met my wife and lets just say I put on happy weight :) I got back to 306.7 on my revision day this past monday 4/18. I was lucky and had it done in one surgery. I am 5 days out and down 9 lbs already !

Lap band 2011 and had it removed and got the sleeve on 3/30/16. So much scar tissue it took 90 minutes to remove it all and then she proceeded with sleeve and endoscopy. I'm ok just tired and sore. I'm glad she did it all in one day. She told me recovery would be from 2-4 weeks and I'm ok with that

You are so fortunate to have a surgeon that was willing to do both procedures in one surgery. My surgeon has almost flat out told me he wouldn't but at my insistence, he said he would play it by ear once he gets in there. He says he won't do it if it isn't 'safe', but I think he is just overly cautious. It is frustrating because it is $500 in copays for each hospital stay between the hospital, dr and his co-surgeon. Ugh. I am not a rich woman!

Wow after reading these I'm SO happy i woke up with a sleeve!!! I had no idea until the actual day of the surgery that there was a possibility of it being done in 2 steps. I'm GLAD i didn't know because I would have been so upset and worried that i would wake up with no sleeve!!!! My doctor is extremely cautious and I had a ton of scar tissue from the band but he made it work and i love him for not making me go through 2 procedures. Yes.... This hurts way more than the band (and I have a super high pain tolerance) but it's quite a procedure. The healing time, etc. is much more involved. Plan to take it super easy on yourself, Rest, have a great support team and you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi everyone. I just had part 2 of my lap band to sleeve revision surgery on May 17th. I am actually very happy that my surgeon decided to do the surgery in two procedures. Both surgeries had sources of pain for me. With the lapband remove and hernia repair I was extremely sore and bloated. My tummy poked out. It took me about 2-3 weeks to feel closer to normal. With my sleeve procedure I experienced pain from the stomach spasms but very little bloating or incision pain. I could imagine experiencing the pain of both procedures at once. I will admit after the sleeve I thought why did I do this to myself because at times the pain was quite intense however I'm feeling much better day by day and loving how I feel inside. I have already lost 6 pounds and it's been 4 days out!!

My surgeon also wanted to do this in 2 step process. Tomorrow is step two - the sleeve. I had my band removed in December and now finally getting sleeve. I had to do 6 months of supervised diet etc. and now tomorrow is the date. I've got concerns but mostly looking forward to starting this wl journey again.

I was banded back in 2012, initially lost 60lbs, then had a slip and gained 40 back. Just started the process of getting my band removed/revised into the sleeve. My surgeon said the following senerios could happen, 1. I have my band removed and my stomach is in good enough condition he can do the sleeve in the same surgery.....but because I've already had 2 gastric surgeries I could be faced with the following: too much scar tissue resulting in having to choose between 2 surgeries one for the band removal then waiting a month and getting the sleeve OR he can do one surgery and getting the bypass instead, I guess the bypass is easier and safer to do with a lot of scar tissue. And I have to choose before the surgery so he knows what to do. Any thoughts??

Sent from my SM-G925T using the BariatricPal App