Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 2 Years Post-Op

Hi all!

I have been AWOL for a long time. I had my surgery in July 2014, and in the first year lost 80 pounds. Since then, I've lost ~10, and have completely stopped (I have gained and lost the same 5 pounds for the last 6 months).

SW: 302

Pre-Surg Weight: 292

Current Weight: 205

My surgeon and I meet next week for a follow-up. At my last appt (Sept), I was 206, and he was of the opinion I would be 190# by the 18 month post-op mark.

I'm bummed I am just stuck. I have been walking every weekday (60 minutes, over 3 miles), and eat roughly 1200 calories a day. I'm lucky in that I can eat anything now, but I'm still very restricted in how MUCH I can eat - so I know I'm not overeating.

Has this happened to anyone else? Am I crazy to be worried what my surgeon will say that I'm not losing any more? Do you guys have any ideas/suggestions on how to jump start some loss again? I just wanna meet MY personal goal of being in Onederland. 199#. I never thought I would sit 5 pounds from goal for more than half a year!!

HELP!!!

Thanks!

Carmen

I had my surgery in July of 2014 also ! I consume approx. 1200 cal. a day average also, I also walk an hour and a half six days a week. Pre-surgery weight of 378# today I'm 166#. Not sure what the problem is that you are having, I guess we are all different. I lost my 200# in about ten months and only a few more # after that. I lost more than I thought I could.

I have noticed the tendency to snack at night and must constantly reign in the desire, I hope this isn't your problem too. GOOD LUCK !!

I had my surgery in July of 2014 also ! I consume approx. 1200 cal. a day average also, I also walk an hour and a half six days a week. Pre-surgery weight of 378# today I'm 166#. Not sure what the problem is that you are having, I guess we are all different. I lost my 200# in about ten months and only a few more # after that. I lost more than I thought I could.

I have noticed the tendency to snack at night and must constantly reign in the desire, I hope this isn't your problem too. GOOD LUCK !!

I think men lose faster, and it helps if your metabolism was normal before the surgery. Mine was not due to PCOS. I've lost 70 in 8 months. The total I needed to lose was 125.

Hi Carmen,

I am approaching 3 years post RNY – my surgery was 6/25/13. I am a 5’2” woman who began the journey at 331 pounds at age 48. This morning I weighed 130 pounds (which is high for me) – my low was 120. I would like to maintain at about 125. I have also found that I can eat anything that I want – only in much smaller amounts.

From what I have learned there are a couple of things at play. Beginning around 18 months post op most people begin to notice that their bodies will actually begin to absorb more of the calories (and hopefully nutrients) we are consuming. The human body continues to adjust and finds ways to metabolize the food we are consuming – so this only gets ‘worse’ as time goes on. The benefit of eating food and having it not be absorbed lessens dramatically over time. If our diet and exercise remain the same, we will begin to see the scale climb back up. By the way – this DOES NOT MEAN that we should stop taking our supplements. In order to make sure that we are receiving ALL nutrients that we need supplements will ALWAYS remain vital.

So, what can you do? If you are not tracking what you eat (I use MyFitnessPal.com), find a tracking system that works for you and start tracking everything you eat. Make sure that 1200 calories that you think you are eating are not more like 1400. It isn’t a lot, but it can have a devastating effect on the scale! It might be necessary for you to trim back your caloric intact to closer to 1000 per day.

Secondly, begin to mix up and/or increase your workouts. If you are walking 60 minutes every day, try to go 90 minutes or walk farther (therefore faster) in that 60 minutes. Add in weight training! I cannot tell you how important this is! Part of my problem is that a month ago I slipped on some ice and hurt my elbow and have not been able to lift weights. I am just beginning to be able to return to my BodyPump classes and I think that will help the scale move (hoping anyway!) Add in a new workout – try biking, a new elliptical, jogging, swimming, a dance class – something that your body is not used to. Just like with the food we eat, our bodies get use to a certain level of exercise and in order to continue to see benefits we sometimes have to “shock” it with something new.

Above all, remember that this is a life long journey. Even when you reach “Onederland” – and I know you can do it – you will still need to work hard if you want to stay there. I am still learning and I struggle every day to make the right decisions to keep me at my goal. My life is SO much better now that it was at 331 pounds – I know that I NEVER want to go back there.

YOU CAN DO THIS!

Carol

Wow Carol, you are soooo right on target. Its refreshing to hear an honest evaluation of our situations, no B.S. or ...."but they are healthy sugars because they are natural stuff". Its carbs, exercise ( varied ) and WATCHING THE scale.

THANK YOU !

Hi Carmen,

I am approaching 3 years post RNY – my surgery was 6/25/13. I am a 5’2” woman who began the journey at 331 pounds at age 48. This morning I weighed 130 pounds (which is high for me) – my low was 120. I would like to maintain at about 125. I have also found that I can eat anything that I want – only in much smaller amounts.

From what I have learned there are a couple of things at play. Beginning around 18 months post op most people begin to notice that their bodies will actually begin to absorb more of the calories (and hopefully nutrients) we are consuming. The human body continues to adjust and finds ways to metabolize the food we are consuming – so this only gets ‘worse’ as time goes on. The benefit of eating food and having it not be absorbed lessens dramatically over time. If our diet and exercise remain the same, we will begin to see the scale climb back up. By the way – this DOES NOT MEAN that we should stop taking our supplements. In order to make sure that we are receiving ALL nutrients that we need supplements will ALWAYS remain vital.

So, what can you do? If you are not tracking what you eat (I use MyFitnessPal.com), find a tracking system that works for you and start tracking everything you eat. Make sure that 1200 calories that you think you are eating are not more like 1400. It isn’t a lot, but it can have a devastating effect on the scale! It might be necessary for you to trim back your caloric intact to closer to 1000 per day.

Secondly, begin to mix up and/or increase your workouts. If you are walking 60 minutes every day, try to go 90 minutes or walk farther (therefore faster) in that 60 minutes. Add in weight training! I cannot tell you how important this is! Part of my problem is that a month ago I slipped on some ice and hurt my elbow and have not been able to lift weights. I am just beginning to be able to return to my BodyPump classes and I think that will help the scale move (hoping anyway!) Add in a new workout – try biking, a new elliptical, jogging, swimming, a dance class – something that your body is not used to. Just like with the food we eat, our bodies get use to a certain level of exercise and in order to continue to see benefits we sometimes have to “shock” it with something new.

Above all, remember that this is a life long journey. Even when you reach “Onederland” – and I know you can do it – you will still need to work hard if you want to stay there. I am still learning and I struggle every day to make the right decisions to keep me at my goal. My life is SO much better now that it was at 331 pounds – I know that I NEVER want to go back there.

YOU CAN DO THIS!

Carol

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

I've been feeling bummed because I really thought I'd see 199 waaaaaaay before now.

I guess I have to go back to tracking, which I hate. I have spent so long being able to eat so little, it was obvious I was under 1000 cal. But I guess it's clear that things are a-changin'!

I'll update in a month or so on any progress I make after getting into this new (old! LOL) routine (again).