Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just had my labs drawn for the first time since my surgery. Everything was in normal range, except my B-12 was too high. It was 1261pg/mL. And the highest standard limit is 1000 pg/mL. I'm kinda freaking out since my level is too high. Has anyone else had high b-12 levels? I'm 6 months out. Of course I got my levels back on a Friday, so I cant discuss this with my Dr. Until Monday.

PLEASE HELP! Thanks!

No need to panic. They will just adjust your dosage it even tell you to stop taking it for a while likely. Call Monday if you don't have an appointment set up. Meanwhile, rest easy. After all it obviously means you have done a great job at taking your vitamins! ????

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

mine is 1405. They never said anything about it. I suppose if they're worried it's too high, they'll have you cut back your dosage. Someone on another forum I'm on said she doesn't feel well if hers drops below 1000. Interesting. But I'm sure they'll tell you to cut back if they felt it was too high.

Mine is high and it was just adjusted. No worries

Mine is high too! You will probably be asked to take your B-12 every other day instead of every day!

I was curious about this, so I googled it. The only thing I read about a B12 level that's too high is that it's uncommon. But oddly, obese people are among those that are susceptible to it. They didn't list anything about the dangers of a high B12 (although there are a ton of dangers associated with *low* B12!), but again, I'm sure they'll just have you cut back a bit if they're worried about it.

I was worried about my liver with the high B12. But honestly, at 230 pounds (my surgery weight), my liver was unhealthy anyways; I had/have fatty liver. Rapid weight loss also causes fatty liver, oddly enough. I lost 82 pounds in 6 months. I have to keep reminding myself my body is in a state of flux and will even out in due time. So, when blood work comes back out of the norm, I worry. And adjustment seems warranted, although, seeing as the B12 thing isn't uncommon, I'm no longer super worried.

I've been getting B12 shots at each follow up, so when they did my blood work, it was high, too. My NP just shrugged and said it was because of the shots and I was going to be getting another one whether I liked it or not. Lol. It's no biggie.

Vitamin B12 is usually well tolerated, even in doses well above the recommended allowances. Because B12 is Water soluble it's difficult overdoes or build up toxicity since the excess is excreted through the urine.

In rare cases people may experience tingling or numbness in the arms, hands, or face.