Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BariatricPal Site and App Update

Hey everyone,

I have exciting news about BariatricPal. It’s getting a facelift…and more! We’re planning a major overhaul of the BariatricPal website and apps.

You’ll notice them looking a little nicer with a new makeover, and you may find them easier to use - across all types of devices. We’re also working on some fun new features.

As we plan the new site and app, I want to get input from the experts – YOU! As a user and member, you’re in the best position to make suggestions for the upgrades. Do you have any ideas about what you’d like us to change, fix, add, or update? What should we keep in mind as we design the new version?

Just add your suggestions as a reply to this thread. Feel free to say what you already love about the current site and app if you want to make you keep seeing it in the new versions.

Thanks for your help!

Newbies won't appreciate this as much, but we used to be able to tell a little bit about a person when reading posts. I find it helpful to know if I am reading words from preop or a seasoned veteran or something in between. The signatures are a bit much (tickers and the lengthy signatures take so much space on a mobile app!) But is there someway for basic info to be visible on the mobile app? I know everyone has gone to apps but the browser version is just better and I really like seeing signatures and basic info. (I know you can't display most of it on the app.)

Navigation is a challenge at times. I was trying to find a specific forum to post in on my phone. I scrolled through about 500 forums...lol...and really wondered if they are being used. Would removing forums that havent been posted to in...I dunno, a year? reduce the volume of data you are trying to display? I think volume of content is contributing to the navigation cumbersome ness since it wasn't a problem before the merging of the sites.

On the new app, the "subscribed" tab doesn't tell me when a fourum is updated. Since that doesn't work, it's the same as the participated tab.

The pop up ad I get for the Bariatric Pal Store is disruptive. How about a nice banner ad on the main screen? I am admittedly anti popup.

I already love the new app! The only change I would like, would be able to see the weight tickers for everyone on the app and to update our own profiles from the app. Otherwise, It's already very user friendly. Are you changing this again?

I refuse to put the app on my phone. I spend plenty of time on my laptop so I don't need to use my phone for much besides a phone.

I'd love to see the chat window somewhere visible on the app or any version so people know there is a chat room. It would also be nice if we were able to live chat privately like we used to be able to do.

I resisted for a long time too, but most newer members use the phone apps and what they see is different. It changes the experience. For example, I started out as a lurker. It wasn't until I found a few success stories with similar start weights as myself that I started to believe I might make this work. I found them via their tickers and siggies and you don't see that on the app. My first interactions were messages to a few of those people...followed by discussions on the band to sleeve forum. It made a big difference to me to find role models, success stories that I could relate to.

I refuse to put the ap on my phone . I spend plenty of time on my lap top so I don't need to use my phone for much besides a phone.

I'd love to see the chat window somewhere visible on the ap or any version so people know there is a chat room. It would also be nice if we were able to live chat privately like we used to be able to do.

I agree about more profile info on the app I almost always use the app.

I would also like to be able to update weight and post and read status updates on the app.

Is there also a way we could have one place with information for newbies (read this first), with info about etiquette, how to post, guidelines, and faqs?

I generally read by going to my timeline and scrolling down.

The search function is hit or miss. Sometimes I can find what I am looking for. I noticed that you can tag posts on the web version but not on the app version.

I've had to turn off my notifications because they don't clear after reading the new post/message so now I have 49 notifications. But with keeping it turned off I don't know when I get a message. Please find a fix for this.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have the app on my iPad but I prefer to use the regular website.

Thanks for the update, Alex! In the future I'm willing to be a beta-tester (I'm a software tester by trade)

I've had to turn off my notifications because they don't clear after reading the new post/message so now I have 49 notifications. But with keeping it turned off I don't know when I get a message. Please find a fix for this.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Update to the latest version... my notifications started clearing after the latest update.

On the phone app...

• an option to clear notifications in the list would be great.
  • I'd love to see unread counts on the participated and subscribed links in the banner.
  • I also dislike how likes work on the phone. I'd prefer a button. It took me a long time to figure out that the way I like or edit a post was by tapping on it.
  • When you quote a post, it's not formatted, it would be good to see the formatting.
  • Would also be cool to go to the chat room.
  • Navigation is kind of hard. I'll think about some suggestions... I just don't have any good ones right now :)

On the website... it would be good to see who's liked a post, like you can on the phone.

I'd like to be able to log my weight easily. I'd like to see a person's gender.

Yes. I agree with more stats available from mobile devices. Just a basic gender, age, years post op would be helpful

Hi Alex--

One more thing I just thought of on the website... could "Go to First Unread Post" be a little easier to find? I've been here regularly now for a while and I always have trouble finding it.