Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Many Of You Exceeded Your Estimated Weight Loss?

I did one of those calculators that determined the amount of weight you could expect to lose from the sleeve. I was estimated to lose 119 lbs. To date, and less than a year after surgery, I have lost 165 lbs, exceeding it by 46 lbs. So my questions is how many of you have also exceeded your estimated weight loss from the sleeve? Also, what factors do you believe helped you to lose more weight?

Myself, I believe my extra weight loss is due to the fact that I normally do not eat Breakfast or lunch. Instead, I drink a Protein Shake and then eat a normal meal for supper.

Do you have a link to that calculator? I am curious to see what I am expected to lose. Thanks!

I think the "calculators" are actually based on averages of people who have had surgery in the past and not any kind of scientific study. We have the tools and knowledge to meet any goal we set, its just up to us to and how hard we want to work, imho.

My very humble opinion is that those calculators are for s**t.

They're produce nothing more than the average number of pounds lost by some people whose weight losses were entered into the application when it was built.

It's garbage in, garbage out.

I understand the reason we all want an answer as to "what to expect" but those calculators really miss the mark. Same as bmi charts don't fit everyone.

The empowering thing to know is how much influence each of us have over our own results

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using the BariatricPal App

I did one of those calculators that determined the amount of weight you could expect to lose from the sleeve. I was estimated to lose 119 lbs. To date, and less than a year after surgery, I have lost 165 lbs, exceeding it by 46 lbs. So my questions is how many of you have also exceeded your estimated weight loss from the sleeve? Also, what factors do you believe helped you to lose more weight?

Myself, I believe my extra weight loss is due to the fact that I normally do not eat Breakfast or lunch. Instead, I drink a Protein shake and then eat a normal meal for supper.

I agree. I think those calculators are just marketing tools. From what I can tell all you do is input your weight and it calculates the average weight lost based on the few studies that have been published. It is just a ballpark figure.

What would worry me is that you credit your success to not eating breakfast. That is not a habit I would encourage for anyone who wants to lose weight and be healthy.

It is great that you supplement with Protein shakes, but learning how to eat healthy will benefit you more in the long run.

My question is whether or not you are reaching your Protein and Fluid target every day? That would have more influence over both your long and short-term success than skipping meals.

Yeah, I overshot (briefly). My original goal was 154, which is one pound into my "normal" BMI range. Then I ran a calculator that said my "ideal weight" is 148. Okay, I thought, that sounds pretty good, so I targeted that weight. Besides, if I work to stay below 150, maybe I can keep from ever getting back over 154. Because after working so hard to get slim, I'm darned if I want to be "overweight" again. And then a doctor gave me a calculation that put my "ideal weight" at 142. Sheesh! Now, THAT sounded a little low, so I decided to make my goal weight 145, which is halfway between those two "ideal" weights. But I overshot 145, and got down to 142. And I was right, it IS too low. (Just ask my wife!) So I worked it back up to 145 and stayed there for a long time. But a little over a year out from surgery, my weight crept up to around 148, so I muscled it back down to 145, which lasted for a month or two. And then, at 18 months out -- also known as, "The end of the honeymoon period!", it crept up again; this time touching the 150 mark. ACK! So now I'm trying to get it back down to 145. I hope to eventually convince my body that that's where its set point should be. 147 this morning, but I don't know if that will hold. It's a daily challenge. And it definitely gets harder to fight the hunger. Um... Did that answer your question?

I've exceeded my surgeon's average estimated weight loss (60-70% of total excess weight) by about 50 pounds. In fact, I had exceeded it by my 3-month follow-up appointment... what can I say, I've always been an overachiever. :rolleyes:

I'm 5'2", and I had initially set my personal goal at 145, which would have still put me in the "overweight" category, but it was the lowest I could mentally wrap my mind around weighing. I revised down to 135 (right at the top of the "normal" range) once I realized that I'd easily get down to 145. Then I revised again to 125. I'm down to 116.5 at the moment, and my goal for maintenance is to stay somewhere in the range between 115 and 125.

Edited by lauraellen80

I lost 100% of my excess weight - over half my total body weight. I'm maintaining and doing great. :)

Myself, I believe my extra weight loss is due to the fact that I normally do not eat Breakfast or lunch. Instead, I drink a Protein shake and then eat a normal meal for supper.

I agree. I think those calculators are just marketing tools. From what I can tell all you do is input your weight and it calculates the average weight lost based on the few studies that have been published. It is just a ballpark figure.

What would worry me is that you credit your success to not eating breakfast. That is not a habit I would encourage for anyone who wants to lose weight and be healthy.

It is great that you supplement with Protein shakes, but learning how to eat healthy will benefit you more in the long run.

My question is whether or not you are reaching your protein and Fluid target every day? That would have more influence over both your long and short-term success than skipping meals.

I don't skip breakfast. I drink a Protein Shake for breakfast and lunch. The Protein Shakes has about 300 calories and 30 grams of protein. So I get a minimum of 60 grams of protein a day (actually more since I eat meat with my dinner meal). Fluid level is normal.

Do you have a link to that calculator? I am curious to see what I am expected to lose. Thanks!

http://www.obesitycoverage.com/weight-loss-surgeries/gastric-sleeve/gastric-sleeves-how-much-weight-will-i-lose

I didn't know a calculator like that existed! lol. I just did it and it said I could expect to be 177 pounds, losing 101. I lost 130 so far, and am 148 pounds, so I guess I exceeded it. :-) My surgeon originally said I could expect to lose about 60% of my excess weight. If I go by that I've definitely exceeded it because I've lost over 100% of excess weight.

The calculator predicted 74 lbs for me. Guess I overshot it by 46 lbs. or 62%. I'm okay with that. B)