Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had surgery Feb 29th. I think I am allergic to something. I Have two red stripes going down my stomach (one on the right and one on the left). Getting small red bumps around them as well. Very itchy. Anyone else have this happen? Post op is Thursday, unless it gets worse I am just waiting to see Dr then. Any insight is welcome. Just using cortisone cream to control itching for now.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Did they use medical tape there I wonder during surgery and your having a reaction to the adhesive?

I know I am allergic to something in steri-strips (not adhesive in general), but I wonder what they put on me that is causing this. I've never had a reaction to plain old medical tape, so it will be interesting to find out what it was and add it to my list of weird allergies. I am also allergic to something in topical antibiotic cream. So weird. I just hope it isn't anything to worry about and goes away quickly. So itchy!

I am allergic to the glue and strips they use, I have to put on cream every night and by the 5 day I always put a warm wash cloth on the strips and take them off so I don't break out so bad. I am also allergic to latex which is found in tape and other items so I have to get rid of all the dressing they put on ASAP. I hope that benedryl works for you. After surgery I have to take it for about a week or two to help with my reaction to everything. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!!

I was thinking about taking some benedryl. Maybe the childrens liquid, but was unsure...i will see what they say tomorrow at my 10 day post-op. Glad to know I am not the only one allergic to weird stuff . Thank you!

NP said I was allergic to something...and I am using cortisone cream and taking kids dissolvable benedryl for now.

My doctors and nurses were doing so well until the redressed my bandages and used latex, I told them over and over I'm allergic to latex. Now the itching it worse than the pain.

You might want to look into allergy testing. I use to be a surgical scrub tech till one day after working almost 13yrs in the OR my skin started breaking out
Ended up being tested and found out that I have an all to Thiurams, mercaptobenzothiazole, thioureas, and carbamates which are rubber accelerators known to cause sensitization. So it’s like a latex allergy in plain terms but not the rubber itself but the compounds. Issue is these can also be found in lots of beauty products lotions hair products so I have to read everything I buy very closely
Just something to think about

I have the same thing you described. Did you ever find out what it was? Or what you did to make it better?

6 days after surgery I broke out in the rash from hell on my sides. Never did figure it out. My surgeon’s office called in something to help with the itching and calamine lotion was the only thing that really helped. Rash was a million times worse than anything I felt from surgery; it actually made me cry. It got worse for 2 days and then by Saturday (it started Wednesday evening) it started improving.

3D192B4E-7A82-4E65-A78A-7B38712703AF.jpeg

I got WLS on 2/10 and I quickly started quitting big itching red areas around the incisions and I’m not on day 9 or 10 post op and it got worse I’m allergic to the glue I took it off like the doctor told me and put cold compress but I’m afraid of the mark it could leave. The one thing I loved about WLS is the small incisions now I have big red spots of allergic reaction on all of them.