Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Your Healthy Lunch

What does your lunch do for you? Does it keep you full, energized, and losing weight? Or does it leave you feeling sluggish, heavy, and hungry before your next meal or snack?

If you’re not careful, lunch can pack hundreds or over 1000 calories, without giving you much nutrition. Some calorie disasters are obvious, like the pizza and soda, sandwich and chips, and Pasta Alfredo. Others, like many Chinese chicken, Caesar, and Chef’s salads, are a little sneakier.

The easiest way to beat those sneaky lunches is to make your own. You can control every ingredient to make sure you’re getting the Protein you need, without getting too many calories or too much fat or sugar. You might save a few dollars, too!

So get out those containers and get ready to make a grocery list. It’s time to pack a healthy lunch.

Protein Power

You already know Protein is the foundation of every meal and snack you have. When you have protein at lunch, you keep your metabolism up, you feed your muscles, you reduce hunger for hours during the afternoon, and you’re less likely to nod off during an afternoon meeting. Good stuff!

Here are some easy protein options for lunchtime.

• nonfat Greek or regular yogurt: plain or no sugar added.
  • string cheese (cheese sticks) or other hard cheese, preferably low-fat.
  • cooked chicken breast.
  • hard-boiled eggs.
  • canned tuna, salmon, or sardines.

Filling up on Fiber

Dietary Fiber slows digestion. That means it’s a filling nutrient because it helps keep you full for hours – just like protein. Fiber also helps stabilize blood sugar: so your levels don’t spike as much after a meal, and they don’t drop and leave you starving too soon.

Fiber isn’t just filling. It helps lower cholesterol. Plus, it’s a nutrient that comes in healthy foods, so choosing high-fiber foods helps you choose nutritious foods, too. Think of these sources of fiber, and think of the other nutrients they have.

• Vegetables and fruit have potassium, Vitamins A and C, B Vitamins, and tons of antioxidants.
  • Legumes (beans, split peas, and lentils) have protein, B vitamins, and potassium.
  • Whole Grains have Vitamin E, magnesium, and antioxidants.
  • Peanuts, nuts, and seeds have heart-healthy fats, Vitamin E, and cholesterol-lowering phytosterols.

So what’s easy for lunch? You could take a green salad with chopped vegetables, Beans, and nuts; pinto Beans with some cheese and shredded lettuce; stir-fry with any cooked vegetable and tofu, chicken, or fish; fruit salad or whole fruit (optional: with nuts or seeds); or fresh cut raw vegetables such as grape tomatoes and bell pepper strips.

Putting It Together

If you’re stuck for ideas for balanced, healthy, and portable lunches, these might help you out a little.

• Any kind of greens-based salad. Pack spinach, spring greens, or romaine or other lettuce leaves in a big container. In a smaller container, pack some healthy additions. Try cooked chicken, low-fat cheese, beans, or hard-boiled egg slices for protein, chopped vegetables or fruit such as grapes for extra fiber and nutrients, and sliced avocado or nuts for healthy fat. You can pack a couple tablespoons of light dressing on the side.
  • One or more homemade “deli” or prepared salads, such as three-bean salad; Caprese salad with tomatoes and mozzarella cheese; marinated artichoke hearts with feta cheese; tuna, chicken, or egg salad with Greek yogurt instead of Mayonnaise.< br>
  • Last night’s healthy leftovers such as chicken vegetable stir fry, chili, or veggie burger in a lettuce leaf.
  • Roll-ups with all-natural ham or turkey spread with cottage cheese or non-fat cream cheese, plus carrot sticks.
  • Whole or mashed sweet potato with Greek yogurt.

Pack Some Snacks

Your healthy lunch should include any Snacks you’re planning to have in the morning or afternoon. Snacks keep your energy up and your metabolism going strong. They also reduce hunger so you’re not tempted to dive for whatever sugary, starchy, or fatty snacks you find in the vending machine or break room.

Just like your lunch, your snacks should have some protein and fiber. They should also be calorie-controlled depending on your needs. For most weight loss surgery patients, snacks should have about 100 to 200 calories.

These are some easy snack ideas.

• celery with fat-free cream cheese.
  • almonds.
  • dried garbanzo beans or edamame (green soybeans).
  • carrots or apple slices with Peanut Butter.
  • whole grain Cereal or oats plus Greek yogurt.

Use Helpful Helpers

Packing your own lunch doesn’t need to be time-consuming or difficult. Feel free to use any helpful items you can find in the supermarket. Examples include salad mixes, pre-cut vegetables to eat or cook, low-sodium canned Soups and beans, pre-cooked Proteins such as ready-to-eat chicken breast strips, and single-serve packets of peanut and almond butter.

You can use these helpful products, but beware of the diet saboteurs. Some may come in the form of way-too-big serving sizes, such as many pre-made deli salads. Others may be higher in calories or sugars than you expect, such as dried fruit. Some, such as canned and frozen products, can have hidden sugars and salt that you didn’t bargain for. Always read the label and ingredients!

With these lunch ideas, you can easily make your own lunch and set yourself up for a healthy day. It doesn’t take much time to pack a lunch, especially once you get into the habit. By adding a few nutrients and saving a few calories each day, you can expect to see the results on the scale.

today's lunch: half of an avocado stuffed with chicken salad.

My surgery isn't until June but my lunch today is 1 cup of spinach with a serving (2 oz) of sliced turkey breast, 1/2 an avocado and a serving of pumpkin seeds, no dressing.

today I had an egg baked inside a portobello mushroom cap.

OMG! That sounds delish! Please share the recipe.

http://healthyrecipesblogs.com/2013/11/04/eggs-baked-in-portobello-mushrooms/

I used garlic pepper seasoning and black pepper along with light sharp cheddar instead of parmesan. It was so good.

I used garlic pepper seasoning and black pepper along with light sharp cheddar instead of parmesan. It was so good.

I want to try this. Thanks!

Note to self: try this recipe!

I am only on liquids right now but dang. That egg portobello looks so good!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm a dude! Going to need more details. How high? How long? Step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated!! :rolleyes:

I'm a dude! Going to need more details. How high? How long? Step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated!! :rolleyes:

The website link lists all the directions.

I just made some "nachos." So good.

I took a Joseph's low carb tortilla (7gm protein) and cut it into wedges and cooked in a skillet c cooking spray on both sides until crispy, then I put them in a baking dish and covered with one ounce shredded cabot light sharp cheese and diced chilis. Broiled until bubbly and then topped with a little salsa and plain fat free greek yogurt. Super good!

The website link lists all the directions.

Totally missed the website, thanks!