Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long are you planning to take off from work?

I am trying to put things together to prepare for the surgery and time for recovery. I'm mostly hearing that patients tend to take anywhere from 1-6 weeks although 6 is recommended (at least from my surgeons office) so that's what I am planning to take.

How long are you planning to take off from work to recover from surgery? Also, Will you be going on state disability?

That's another thing...I have maybe 1 week of sick time saved up and another week or 2 of vacation and personal holiday time. Im hoping to not have to use all of it. Im still trying to recover from having to use %100 of my time when I had a baby 2 years ago. However, I work for a county they require you use %100 of ALL time to receive state disability.....

I plan on taking at least 4 weeks. I work for a private firm but we have Short Term disability and I don't have to use any personal leave for it to take effect. I'm sure I could go back sooner but I'm afraid that I won't be able to perform at a high level while I'm adjusting to the new calorie levels, etc.

I have a desk job that doesn't require much exertion. My surgery will be on a Thursday and I'll be back to work the following Tuesday.

Prior to surgery I had hoped to only take a week or two weeks max. As of yesterday I am currently two weeks post op and I'm so thankful I haven't gone back yet. It is my hopes to go back in a week but I'm not too sure I'll be feel 100%.

Determinedtolive, not to burst your bubble, but I also have a desk job and there is no way I could go back in that short period of time. I had surgery on a Thursday and was in the hospital till Saturday afternoon. And was on pain medicine regularly in that time frame you hope to be back at work. I hope you have a speedy recovery but I just don't want you to be discouraged of the plan doesn't work.

I'm doing the same. My surgery is midweek and I'll be back to work the Monday following. But I have a very sedentary desk job, and they're super flexible about me taking walks and stuff. I'm optimistic! I see lots of people take much more time, but - like you - I don't want to burn through all my vacation time!

Good luck!! Do you have a date yet?

I'm a full time student and I'm getting sleeved on March 17, in Mexico. I will stay overnight at the surgical center, then I will spend the following 2 nights at the Marriott in Tijuana. That Sunday we will return home and I will have a week of spring break to recover. I live on campus with my husband and my kids, and most of my classes are about a mile from our apartment. I have to attend all of my classes the first week of the quarter to maintain my enrollment, and taking a quarter off isn't an option since we live in University housing. I will have to be in good enough shape to either ride my bike (what I do now) or walk to classes, and back home again. This is intimidating, but at least I am able to rest in between classes that first week.

So for me, surgery is on Thursday, March 17, and I return to school (including getting to, and around campus), 11 days later on March 28.

Lol, wish me luck!

I'm so glad someone asked this! I had lapband in 2011 but can't remember how much time I took off. I think I took off two weeks, but I remember thinking I could've gone back sooner. Now I'm getting the sleeve Wednesday March 16 and I told work I'd probably be back the following Wednesday. As it gets closer I'm thinking I should've planned for more time off, though I'm fully unpaid. I'm a teacher, but working as a substitute 3 days per week at a school, in a very active role. I'm worried about going back to soon but worried about being without income while I'm gone:( has anyone in a more active job gone back after one week? Or is this completely unrealistic?

I think everyone is different and it depends on the person, pain level, age and all the other factors as well! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I planned on taking two weeks but we got so busy I went back after 1 week. I am a vet tech and partners in a mobile vet practice. Kind of hard to tell the animals not to get sick so I can take time off to recover. I did fine though. Just tired.

I'm a full time student and I'm getting sleeved on March 17, in Mexico. I will stay overnight at the surgical center, then I will spend the following 2 nights at the Marriott in Tijuana. That Sunday we will return home and I will have a week of spring break to recover. I live on campus with my husband and my kids, and most of my classes are about a mile from our apartment. I have to attend all of my classes the first week of the quarter to maintain my enrollment, and taking a quarter off isn't an option since we live in University housing. I will have to be in good enough shape to either ride my bike (what I do now) or walk to classes, and back home again. This is intimidating, but at least I am able to rest in between classes that first week.

So for me, surgery is on Thursday, March 17, and I return to school (including getting to, and around campus), 11 days later on March 28.

Lol, wish me luck!

I'm so glad you shared that you are a student. I was so worried about missing too much class time and etc after surgery. Because of insurance reasons my surgery will be around late August/early September. I was intending to apply to nursing school and start in the fall. Luckily I talked to the advisor at the school and they also have a winter admissions. So now I plan on applying for the winter cohort.

I'd like to hear more about your progress with school after your surgery. Good luck!

I work a desk job. My surgeon said she likes people to take 7 work days off, so I will do that. If necessary I will take a couple of half days after that, but I'll play that by ear. And if I feel ready to work sooner, I can always come back earlier.

I plan to take 4 weeks. I'm 54 and expect this might be a little tiring. I have extended leave time I can take which is paid time off for more significant health reasons, i.e.- surgery. I expect with the diet I am going to need it.

I have a desk job. I had surgery on a Tuesday and was back at work Monday.

I took just one week.

Unless you have some kind of issue, you don't really need more than a week or 2.