Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Extreme reflux

It has been a catastrophe over the last month. Firstly, I poisoned my stomach with some chicken. The doctor prescribed me some pills to reduce my gastric acidity. Everything seemed fine until a few days later when I experienced reflux. Gradually it became more severe and the last two weeks have been a no-sleep zone for me. I have stuffed just about every pillow under my head and back, but this did not help. I also try to refrain from drinking before I go to bed.

I have been coughing so much that I have the feeling my throat is ripped apart. I can barely talk. I went to see my family doctor and she gave me antibiotics and an anti-cough Syrup. Every morning I wake up with a high temperature.

And I haven't eaten anything solid(not even stew) for a month. I have been living on smaller amounts of juice, milk and cocoa enhanced with Vitamins. I also lost 10 kilos during this period and I am now much closer to my goal weight. I have been banded for 13 months now.

And what does my band doctor say? Well, he told me the same thing I read here, but he refuses to relax my band because he is, I guess, an incarnation of Satan, lol.

So, help!!! Anybody out there having such extreme problems?

Okay, PLEASE somebody help me, I just went to sleep in an armchair. I was sleeping with my back on at least 45 degree slope and I still coughed and almost choked. How the hell am I supposed to get any sleep?

I have been suffering with terrible reflux and went to the dr this week and he said that during my pregnancy (my son is now 5 weeks old), that my band had moved around my stomach and was now blocked. So I have to have it removed. Good thing is, acid will be gone and insurance will pay for a new band.

Dear Croatia,

Don't eat or drink anything 2-3 hours before bedtime. Keep your head elevated. Try a couple of teaspoons of vinegar, for some bizarre reason this seems to help people with bands who experience reflux problems. Best of luck to you!

I'm sorry you're having such problems; it sounds like your band doctor is being reckless with your health. A banded person is meant to eat solid food. If he knows that you are unable to eat solids and are experiencing such severe reflux and has not ordered tests, he is risking your health. If you look in any books or literature about WLS, they all say that a properly filled bandster will not have reflux.

If you look at posts on the "Life after band removal" section, you'll see that many people w/slipped bands/erosion often were diagnosed after experiencing reflux.

I don't mean to scare you, but I've seen too many people go through these problems. Have you had a barium swallow and an endoscopy done by someone who is familiar with lapbands? Is there another band doctor you can consult with?

I hope you get resolution of this problem soon.

Yeah, I did the tests and the band is fine. Its just that I am so tight I can barely drink some Water. And I told him - ''I am thirsty all the time and I cannot drink, please remove some silicon'' and he said that I will start gaining weight and he cannot do that. The problem is - he is the ONLY doctor in Croatia that does lapbanding.

The only good thing about is that I am losing about a 1kg in two days. Fast weightloss, but not very healthy.

You need an unfill. I can't believe your doctor won't give you one!

Oh Vedrana I feel for you, I suffered from reflux a lot and it's horrible! Your doctor is a lunatic, doesn't he know that it can cause other serious health problems if you get gastric juices into your lungs etc. I would go to him and insist that he should take some Fluid out straight away, he can't refuse it's your body:der::boxing:. Let us know how it all went

By the way, originally I am from Vojvodina, so "zdravo komsija":Banane59:

This guy is nuts! You are in danger of dehydration... Is there a medical board you can report him to?

You must get an unfill. When you are lying down and the acids wake you up, choking you, it can lead to a form of pneumonia if left untreated. Trust me, I have been there but thankfully was treated before I got pneumonia. This can be very dangerous and I don't want to scare you but this is NOT the way it is supposed to be.

I'd be reporting him to a medical board somehow and going to the hospital immediately.

try drinking 1/2 cup warm Water with 2 tablespoons of baking soda. that is what my doctor told me to do and it helped. i still had to take out some fill, but it was better than anything else i tried. i also tried the vinegar, big mistake. i burned my throat so bad i could hardly talk for days. if i was you id really try to find someone to remove some fill. how about a local hospital that can do it under catscan? a good radiologist can do it for you. i did that once when my doctor in mexico was on vacation . it was fine. the radiologist said my band looked good. that was comforting. sorry you feel so bad. i can relate.

Well, I stopped drinking 4 hours before I go to sleep and I must say - this has significantly improved the situation! No more reflux. Now there is just that feeling of tightness. I am going to see my doc tomorrow, so we will see what happens. Thanks for the support people, you are the greatest.

Almost EVERY single night I wake up choking with acid. I have not had a fill since March, 07. I am taking Protonix for the acid but still wake up each night choking from the acid. Then I spend the next 1-2 hours coughing and trying to get back to sleep. Any suggestions? I have a hard time believing that I am "too full" in the band. I have had this fill for over 5 months. I have started sleeping in the recliner after an acid choking episode so I don't keep my wife up. There has to be something I can do. I did end up with pneumonia and was in the hospital 4 days. I believe now it may have been from choking on the acid.

I am reluctant to go back to the surgeon because my insurance does not cover visits after one year (Surgery 4-06). Each time the surgeon sees me I get a bill for $130.00 Does anybody out there have this problem? Please respond.

Thank you.

I am reluctant to go back to the surgeon because my insurance does not cover visits after one year (Surgery 4-06). Each time the surgeon sees me I get a bill for $130.00 Does anybody out there have this problem? .

If the surgeon gives a DIFFERENT DIAGNOSIS CODE, other than "followup"--your insurance will probably pay.

i have suddenly developed reflux--the last 3 nights. i just woke up choking on acid---disgusting.

not sure what's wrong--but haven't had a fill in several months--and the band is pretty tight and i've been losing weight...not sure what to do--except, i guess--go back to the dr....

anybody have a thought?

thanks,

girlinnyc