Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Veteran Sleevers,

For those that had sleep apnea prior to surgery, how long did it take before you were free from the cpap from the weight loss?

I am not free of the CPAP, but within a few weeks after surgery the pressure was too high so my sleep doctor switched me to an automatic machine that automatically adjusts the pressure.

How did you know the pressure was too high?

It took me a few weeks, i would wake up in the middle of the night with a dry mouth, and not just a hey I'm thirsty dry mouth, I mean like my tongue would be stuck to the roof of my mouth dry. It was awful. I took my machine in to my sleep dr, it was already an automatic machine which adjusts pressures automatically. They Gave me a chin strap to wear. I tried that for a week, finally I gave up. Quit using it and my ribs didn't hurt so I guess I don't have sleep apnea any more. (ribs hurting from my wife punching me in the side when i snored). Haven't been back to the sleep dr yet for another sleep study, but I Seem to be doing fine, not tired ehen i get up, not snoring, etc.

Just know that you may not graduate from apnea. I'm only 4 weeks out and will be at the sleep clinic for the 2nd time today. First I started sleeping with my mouth open. Tried a chin strap. And now a full face mask. That I can't seem to keep on without the seal leaking. But the sleep dr said my airway is narrow and I will likely still have sleep apnea even if I lose all the weight.

Just know that you may not graduate from apnea. I'm only 4 weeks out and will be at the sleep clinic for the 2nd time today. First I started sleeping with my mouth open. Tried a chin strap. And now a full face mask. That I can't seem to keep on without the seal leaking. But the sleep dr said my airway is narrow and I will likely still have sleep apnea even if I lose all the weight.

My thoughts exactly and my sleep Dr. said the same to me!! I'm having the hardest time sleeping because every time I readjust to my pillow.... I break the seal. I just want to sleep through the night [emoji99][emoji42][emoji99][emoji42][emoji99][emoji42]

I have sleep apnea. I am going towards 4 months out and I know that it has gotten better.

@@Ryan TN so the cotton mouth is a sign of it being too high? I have noticed that a lot lately. Its obnoxious! I already wear a full mask so I suppose I should look into checking with the sleep dr. I will be so excited to get off my machine!

pam

It can be a sign of too much pressure. I used the nasal pillows for about 3 years and never had that problem until i had WLS, my theory was that it forced my mouth open while i was asleep. Maybe it wasnt the wisest thing to just quit, but my sleep apnea was only mild.

So I just had an appt at the cpap supply company. They didn't change the pressure setting, but did change a lot of other settings on my machine.

They also said that if it doesn't solve the problem to call the clinic. The dr might authorize minor setting adjustments between now and 3 months post op, when insurance will pay for an updated sleep study.

I'm hoping for better sleep tonight.

I went from the highest setting to the lowest by about 8 months post op. My pulmonary doc put in a request for a new sleep study multiple times but my medical group loves to deny me for everything so I just stopped using it. Haven't had any problems with it and I sleep great!

I was given a second sleep study 2 months and 40 lbs after surgery, it showed zero incidents and I was able to stop using the cpap.

I stopped using it after my surgery. First, because my surgeon didn't want me to wear it...some research about effects it may have on the healing pouch? Second, I only had "mild" sleep apnea to start with (level 6). I'm not going back to have another sleep study (ugh) because i really don't think i need the mask anymore. i've lost almost 60 pounds since diagnosed 18 months ago. I sleep well; I'm not tired during the day.

Only for future readers-your pressure setting is not a strong correlation to the severity of your sleep apnea. My pressure setting is also 6, and my apnea is moderate-i stop breathing 20 times an hour.

After some adjustments to both machine and mask I slept great last night. With my cpap. 30 pounds down so far. But I definitely still need it.