Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regrets that got better

Hello Everyone, I have been debating weather or not to have the sleeve surgery. I had the band removed 1.5 years ago due to complications. From what I've been hearing from others here, is that after being sleeved many people had regrets. I would like to know what were the regrets and did things get better? I am going through the process of starting everything over again and will be scheduled for surgery in June. I am mostly doing this again due to my comorbidities, but also for appearance as well. I have 60lbs to lose per my Dr. and myself and have tried doing it on my own but just simply can't. I wanted to hear from others if the regrets are worth it. Thanks!

I think the majority of us go through a period of "buyer's remorse" in the early days post-op. It's pretty miserable. You are in pain or uncomfortable, every TV commercial is torture, you can't eat or drink enough, you are exhausted, and you are very emotional. It's incredibly common to question what in the world you have done to yourself and cry multiple times a day.

However, within a few short weeks you heal up, you can get your fluids in, you can start eating more solid foods and getting calories in, and you start to feel like a real live human being again. From that point forward, I didn't experience any regrets at all! I have been sooooooo happy with my progress and my new life. Definitely one of the best decisions I ever made for myself!

I think the majority of us go through a period of "buyer's remorse" in the early days post-op. It's pretty miserable. You are in pain or uncomfortable, every TV commercial is torture, you can't eat or drink enough, you are exhausted, and you are very emotional. It's incredibly common to question what in the world you have done to yourself and cry multiple times a day.

However, within a few short weeks you heal up, you can get your fluids in, you can start eating more solid foods and getting calories in, and you start to feel like a real live human being again. From that point forward, I didn't experience any regrets at all! I have been sooooooo happy with my progress and my new life. Definitely one of the best decisions I ever made for myself!

Thanks for your honesty. you've explained that pretty much in a way that I can totally understand the ups and downs

Regrets over my sleeve surgery?

Yes. Just one.......

Wish I'd done it sooner !!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, mine were the same as JamieLogical's. At the beginning I was going through food withdrawals (more mentally than anything), was pretty tired, and I felt like I lost my best friend, food. The first couple weeks were rough mentally, but then the weight started melting off, slowly started adding more foods, and my anxiety vanished! I only had 40-50 lbs to lose and now being within only a few lbs from my goal weight only 3 months later, this was the best decision ever! Working out is so much easier, and my confidence is so much better. Good luck with your decision!

No regrets here ever, not even in the first couple days and then weeks after surgery. The best thing I ever did and I haven't had any problems.

eta: keep in mind as you read these forums that people tend to come here and post about their problems, when they need sympathy or information or solutions. They don't post so much just to say, hey things are great, I love my life, I have no regrets.

I had a couple of days right after the surgery where i had buyers remorse. I kind of expected to really. I hurt, i was grouchy as hell and doped to the gills and didnt want to be, i couldnt get any sleep because of the constant nurse and caretaker attention, it was super easy to make myself puke with a little Water....

Then i started leaving the pain button alone, and they gave me a band so it was easier to walk around and get up. The catheter and drain got removed.

Then i got to go home and freaking slept a night through. I limped and mewled up the road a little at a time. I felt a little better every day.

Now just over a month out the only thing I miss are raw veggies and being able to load a plate up. Im back to work, and time to walk is scarce.

The payoff though is sweet sweet wonderful progress in getting healthy. Knowing that i didn't just take a step on that path. I jumped in a car and am hauling ass toward it as hard as I can. I'll hit some speed bumps, but I'm not clawing and scraping up a muddy hill now.

Not one day of regret here. I felt the "WTF have I done" after lapband surgery... but never experienced it after the sleeve. I am losing at a turtle pace, but I am losing! I have no doubt that I will make goal weight this year.

For me, this is so much better having the lapband that I just don't have any regrets at all. I should add that I lost this slowly with the band also, and still made it to goal... just in a puking, unhappy, and miserable way. I now feel like I am healthy, and can eat healthy foods. I wish I had done this surgery in the first place.

Nine days sleeved and I know I did right. No regrets

SSO much energy

It's like dam where did this person come from..very happy

Sent from my XT1031 using the BariatricPal App

Thank you guys so much! I feel much better just hearing the positives. If I feel down, depressed and wonder if I've made a mistake after being sleeved, I want to look back on the feedback that I've received from you all. If I do that, then I know that I'll make it. I may even need to call upon you guys again for support or just to say thanks.

@@Bufflehead, that's funny because I just came on here a few days ago with ZERO regrets (sleeved 2/23) and was thinking "man, a lot of people are having a hard time at this stage. Maybe something is "wrong" with me? It's been too easy."

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank you guys so much! I feel much better just hearing the positives. If I feel down, depressed and wonder if I've made a mistake after being sleeved, I want to look back on the feedback that I've received from you all. If I do that, then I know that I'll make it. I may even need to call upon you guys again for support or just to say thanks.

Definitely feel free to post back here if/when you are feeling down post-op. It's one of the things these forums are best for. Commiseration and tough love! We'll tell you we've all been there and know how much it sucks. Then we'll tell you to suck it up and deal, because it's only temporary! :P

I soooo await that phase of my journey.!!!!..I'm only one week out and I'm so tired n can't drink but maybe 20 ounces a day, I eat 2 popsicles and maybe Jello, but this Is draining

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using the BariatricPal App

7 months post op here. Only regret, not doing it sooner. Other regrets...not.a.single.one.

No regrets.

Although like others have said, I wish I would have done it sooner, realistically I did it when I was ready and it happened when it was supposed to happen.