Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why the low carb?

I'm really struggling (pre-op) to comply with the prescribed low carb high Protein diet I've been given and am concerned about how I will do this long term. I have cut out all desserts, rice, Pasta, but still am struggling. I do not eat a lot of Proteins so am used to having a lot of Beans. I have a history of kidney infections and stones so am worried about having so much protein. My oncologist's office told me to keep animal protein's to 14 oz per week to prevent cancer. I have always heard high fat diets cause heart disease and that vegetables, fruits and Fiber are healthy. So all this seems counterintuitive. I know if I go with the gastric bypass proteins and fats are not absorbed as well so can understand having more of them and eating protein first but just can't get my head around why it is necessary or desirable to limit healthy carbs. Is it the calories or fear they set up cravings? I haven't been able to get a clear explanation from my center's nut.

Consuming Protein doesn't have to be high fat and for the most part isn't. Lean meats, Beans and rice are usually part of most bariatric diets.

Pre-op diets are usually very low carb so that your liver shrinks. The liver overlaps the stomach and the surgical tech has to lift it so that the surgeon has better access to your stomach. A heavy liver can tear and needless to say, it's not desirable.

Post op diets usually are different and include most foods. Desserts and Pasta would not fit into the healthy foods category though. Both are highly processed foods. Both convert to sugar quickly which can raise your insulin levels and cause more hunger when those levels fall quickly. There's not a lot of room in your new stomach to fit food into and loss of muscle mass can happen when you don't get enough Protein.

Moderation of highly processed foods should be a part of anyone's diet but not necessarily a total elimination of.

There are many alternatives for animal Proteins but natural animal Proteins offer more satiety than a Protein shake or powder. You might consider a consult with the bariatric nutritionist. And make sure it's one who understands the nutritional needs of bariatric patients. Most of us don't eliminate all carbs. It's just that filling up on Pasta offers very little nutritional value.

tmf

Hopefully, I have the math correct on this thought.

A large egg provides around 7 grams of Protein.

If I ate 14 ounces of Protein per day, and there are 7 grams of protein per ounce, then that equals 97 grams of protein, which is beyond the limit you mentioned anyway.

Many of us are given a goal of a minimum of 60 grams of protein per day.

Something else that helps us from maxing out our kidneys with protein is that we drink Water all day long. I started out at 64 ounces (8 cups) of Water per day. At two + years out I average around 124 ounces (1 gallon) of water per day. Water keeps your kidneys flushed out.

It's not that most of us really eat more Protein than before........it's simply that we do away with the other stuff and leave the protein.

It's not that most of us really eat more Protein than before........it's simply that we do away with the other stuff and leave the Protein.< /p>

Isn't that the truth? Good way to put it. I eat less protein now than before by at least 50%. It's the other stuff, like a plate of Pasta or a large baked potatoes with the usual accoutrements or 3 biscuits and butter that I really don't miss anymore.

Hopefully, I have the math correct on this thought.

A large egg provides around 7 grams of Protein.

If I ate 14 ounces of Protein per day, and there are 7 grams of protein per ounce, then that equals 97 grams of protein, which is beyond the limit you mentioned anyway.

Many of us are given a goal of a minimum of 60 grams of protein per day.

I believe it was 14oz a week.

Yes, I was told 14 oz per week of animal Protein (this was not by my Bariatric Center. They told me 120g protein and 50-80 g carbs

per day. (Sorry, I haven't figured out how to edit yet.)

Re: Oncology? Did you have cancer in the past or now?

per day. (Sorry, I haven't figured out how to edit yet.)

That makes more sense.

As to the cancer, neither, I have such a strong family history that I am seen at the cancer center for preventative care. I really appreciate the feedback on this - As I tried to say, I am not expecting to be able to eat Desserts or Pasta but when I add milk to my Protein Powder, have a meal with Beans like chili and maybe one slice whole wheat bread and vegetables and fruit I am often over the daily limit.

Low carb and high Protein is to help with weight loss. Im sure you've heard of the Atkins diet, alot of surgery centers and nutritionists have you on a low carb diet before surgery to help with weightloss. It causes your body to go into ketosis, where your body burns fat for energy, which is a good thing.

Edited by Ryan TN

I have stage 3 chronic kidney disease and have had RNY 17 months ago. I have to be very careful not to overload Protein yet meet the minimum daily requirement which is 1 gram of Protein for every 1 inch in height. For me that is 70 grams of protein. I rarely go over that.

I eat meat but my pouch is pretty restricted so I get a lot of my protein from small amounts of meats, cheese, Peanut Butter, Protein shakes and milk.

I have a Protein shake for Breakfast, protein with good carbs for lunch and dinner and I have to have 2 Snacks to meal my protein goals. My Snacks are generally chai tea made with milk, Apple with Peanut Butter, cheese, lunch meat, shrimp or maybe a very small amount of nuts.

From the moment I was allowed puréed foods my nut has had me following a balanced diet. I have good carbs with every meal. I don't eat protein first but follow a 2 bites of protein for every 1 bite of good carbs.

This has worked very well for me both from a health standpoint and weight loss standpoint. I am 1lb away from goal having lost 142lbs. My stage 3 kidney disease along with all my other comorbitities have been in remission since the first 3 months post op.

This can be managed quite well and you are asking great questions!

Good luck to you! Feel free to message me with questions.

@@j16

I must have missed the post where you said your Bariatric center told you 120grams of Protein per day. That is ridiculously high and not necessary. Especially if you have a history of kidney problems.

I would challenge them.

My Bariatric center has the same goal for everyone: 1 gram for every inch you are tall minimum. Now you can have more but it is not required. Honestly i would never be able to eat enough to hit that goal.

Thanks -I'm going to take your advice and make another appointment with the NUT and ask about it again. It sounds like many of you don't limit vegetables and other healthy carbs. I have lost about 40 lbs pre-surgery already without meeting their goals and am down to a 41 bmi. I want to make sure I can eat in a way to sustain good health after surgery and protect my kidneys.