Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self pay and could cry over the amount, couple of questions

Self-pay in Florida was 18K with a very reputable surgeon. They fixed my hiatal hernia as part of the process-I wasn't charged extra for it. I would consider consulting another surgeon.

On that note though, insurance not paying for their part of that surgery is not a surprise. When I had plastics, I thought I would be clever and have insurance pay for the removal of a fibroadenoma at the same time as my boobs were being done, which would then have deducted a lot from the cost of anesthesiology. Haha, nope. They will literally put the doctor on a clock for the time it takes to do the hiatal hernia repair and then turn that clock off afterward and you pay the difference. Paying out of pocket for just the sleeve is expensive, but the hiatal hernia is usually done just as part of the procedure and not priced differently. Insurance companies also probably know this and that is why they tend to turn down paying for part of a procedure that is completed as part of a procedure they don't cover. Also, having to pay the full price up-front is standard because if you don't pay them later, they can't exactly give you back your stomach and recoup their loss.

I wouldn't rule out Mexico! I had my surgery there, paid $4600 all inclusive except travel. For those who have a hiatal hernia, doctor will repair it for an additional $350 or so. I'm am so happy I chose Mexico!

Wow--after reading this, I feel truly blessed. We've got United HealthCare through my husband;s employer--and my portion was $600 ... Six hundred dollars. Period.

It must have to do with your specific plan. He works for a huge company, (so the out-of-pocket cost to subscribers is less).. and we have the PPO option plan.--Not sure if the PPO part would make any difference, though.

In the end, though...when anyone reaches the point where weight-loss surgery is even on the table...the benefits SO outweigh any costs associated with it. If you need the procedure done, there is always a way to wiggle funds around and make it happen.

I am about 3.5 months post-op and don't regret my decision one bit. Never a drop of "buyer's remorse"...

I can't put a price tag on health and happiness. <3

Wow--after reading this, I feel truly blessed. We've got United HealthCare through my husband;s employer--and my portion was $600 ... Six hundred dollars. Period.

It must have to do with your specific plan. He works for a huge company, (so the out-of-pocket cost to subscribers is less).. and we have the PPO option plan.--Not sure if the PPO part would make any difference, though.

In the end, though...when anyone reaches the point where weight-loss surgery is even on the table...the benefits SO outweigh any costs associated with it. If you need the procedure done, there is always a way to wiggle funds around and make it happen.

I am about 3.5 months post-op and don't regret my decision one bit. Never a drop of "buyer's remorse"...

I can't put a price tag on health and happiness. <3

Yes, you are very lucky. My husband also works for a big Fortune 500 corporation, they just exclude wls out of the plan unfortunately. Congrats on your new journey.

Edited by mmorris4

Have you thought about checking with the doctors to see which insurance they talk for these weight loss , and pay for that insurance and use that instead and cancel your job insurance til you get you surgery then if you don't like your new insurance for want ever reason go back to your job insurance or find one you like

Sent from my SM-N900T using the BariatricPal App

Seriously look at Mexico. I paid $4500 and that included travel. The amount you are quoting is ridiculous. Treatment in Mexico (assuming you do your research) is wonderful and the surgeons are highly skilled.

Yes, 100% had to be paid in full. In fact, the surgeon wouldn't even schedule it until I paid her fee. Then I had to pay all hospital fees a few days before surgery at my pre-op appointment.

The surgeon's office offered financing but I personally thought the interest rates and fees were ridiculous. I decided to pay half up front and apply for an 36 month interest free credit card for the balance. So I have 3 years to pay off that Visa card without having to pay interest.

Which credit card did you find for 36 interest free?

It was a Citi Bank Card. Because I have a really good credit score I had several options. But I just started out by googling zero percent credit cards.

Yes, 100% had to be paid in full. In fact, the surgeon wouldn't even schedule it until I paid her fee. Then I had to pay all hospital fees a few days before surgery at my pre-op appointment.

The surgeon's office offered financing but I personally thought the interest rates and fees were ridiculous. I decided to pay half up front and apply for an 36 month interest free credit card for the balance. So I have 3 years to pay off that Visa card without having to pay interest.

Which credit card did you find for 36 interest free?

It was a Citi Bank Card. Because I have a really good credit score I had several options. But I just started out by googling zero percent credit cards.

@@JapGirl : I am looking into the same at Nicholson. My friend had it done last July. I am worried in the event of complications, what do you do if no one in your town will touch you? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Just another Mexico sleever here! I was sleeved in TJ for $4500 (minus airfare). Overall, I paid no more than 5K and was able to book when I wanted which really worked out well. Lots of people discredit surgeries done out of country but they were really great and they took great care of me.

There is also the option to bring someone with you but I chose to go alone, and met a great group of people there.

@@JapGirl : I am looking into the same at Nicholson. My friend had it done last July. I am worried in the event of complications, what do you do if no one in your town will touch you? Thanks

I could get referred to a doc here. But honestly if there is a complication I plan to visit the ER. They can't deny you. But after 2-3 weeks the chances of complications are very small. :) you can message me if you'd like some more info :) I'd be happy to share

Thanks and the clinic has been very helpful answering all my questions timely and with satisfaction. Can't

Wait. I'm ready for surgery !

which card did you get that was 36 month interest free?

My insurance didn't cover WLS at all. I paid $6500 at Obesity Control Center in TJ. Dr. Ariel Ortiz is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a Bariatric Surgeon of Excellence. His facility is an International Center of Excellence. He's proctored dozens of US and Canadian surgeons in laparoscopic technique, performed over 16,000 bariatric surgeries and has a complication rate 1/10 that of the US average. I had an easy, pain free recovery and was back to work in 7 days. Excellent postop communication and even at 2 years out they continue to monitor my progress. My PCP is so impressed he is recommending OCC to his patients that dont have WLS insurance.

If you can't get things straightened out with your local doctor and insurance, you should look at the great surgical options offered elsewhere.

Where is this located

Sent from my 0PAJ5 using the BariatricPal App

My insurance didn't cover WLS at all. I paid $6500 at Obesity Control Center in TJ. Dr. Ariel Ortiz is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a Bariatric Surgeon of Excellence. His facility is an International Center of Excellence. He's proctored dozens of US and Canadian surgeons in laparoscopic technique, performed over 16,000 bariatric surgeries and has a complication rate 1/10 that of the US average. I had an easy, pain free recovery and was back to work in 7 days. Excellent postop communication and even at 2 years out they continue to monitor my progress. My PCP is so impressed he is recommending OCC to his patients that dont have WLS insurance.

If you can't get things straightened out with your local doctor and insurance, you should look at the great surgical options offered elsewhere.

Where is this located

Sent from my 0PAJ5 using the BariatricPal App

Tijuana.