Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tired of "embracing the stall !"

I did the reset because that is what my surgeon's office advised. I am a type-1 diabetic on an insulin pump which means two things: I will forever be diabetic, unlike type-2 diabetics who can have their diabetes reversed with bypass or VSG, and two, my treatment is going to be on a different path than most because of the pump. After a little over three weeks with no loss, the NUT and surgeon looked over my food diary and made that decision based on the fact that A:I should be losing at this point so early on and B:my body reacts differently because of the insulin being pumped in the way it does. I was just letting the person posting know that it IS frustrating to be stuck, although I agree that 4 days is too short to be considered a "stall". My surgeon suggested only being weighed at office visits to avoid the whole "I'm failing", "why aren't I losing enough?" situations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

I totally understand I am a 5 day stall and feeling so discouraged too.

Guess by their remarks we might get used to it HUH , lol - yup sucks LOL

I am only 27 days out of surgery and thought it would be a bit faster also BUT we can do this Lenora!!! Give up weighing so much is so very very hard for me though.

So many remarks saying 4 or 5 days of a stall is silly .... we are getting used to all this I guess.

May we both lose even a pound here very soon AND Thanks for expressing this !!!

Bonnie

@@Nurse_Lenora I just came off a 5 1/2 WEEK stall ... trust me I hear ya! I finally stopped looking at the scale at all until 3 weeks out. Still stuck at the same weight. Put the scale in the closet so I literally couldn't even SEE it for the next 2 weeks. Pulled it out at 5 weeks and the damned thing still hadn't moved. Not even an ounce. Went to the doc's mid week for my depo shot and their scale had me weighing less than at home. The next morning (I always weigh just after I shower) I tried it again and IT MOVED!!!

Try not to get too frustrated. I had little stalls at the beginning ... 3-4 weeks post-op, again at 2 1/2 months, again at 6 months. These all lasted only a few days to a week at the most. As your body adjusts to your new sleeve and eating habits the weight loss will fluctuate. After month 2 I started to weigh only 2x a week ... Mondays & Thursdays. This helped keep me from focusing on the #s every day and I was more in tune with what I was doing day to day with my liquids & Proteins and exercise.

Chin up ... it will get better! And worse .... And better ....

@@Nurse_Lenora,

You’ve lost 40 lbs in 3 weeks and you’re disappointed? What were you expecting? If you kept losing at the rate of over 10lbs a week, you’d hit goal weight in about 12 weeks! I’ve never heard of any weight loss surgery patient doing that!

I know stalls are hard, especially when you’ve been losing so fast. It seems like something MUST be going wrong if you were losing every day and now you’re not. But it’s just your body catching up. If you’re doing everything you’re supposed to be doing with Protein and calories and Water, you’ll lose weight when your body is ready.

I know four days seems like forever, but FOREVER is the rest of your life: years and years and years. It’s good to learn patience now, because unfortunately there will be a lot of stalls and other bumps along the way! Good luck, and congratulations on your surgery and weight loss.

@@Nurse_Lenora,

You’ve lost 40 lbs in 3 weeks and you’re disappointed? What were you expecting? If you kept losing at the rate of over 10lbs a week, you’d hit goal weight in about 12 weeks! I’ve never heard of any weight loss surgery patient doing that!

I know stalls are hard, especially when you’ve been losing so fast. It seems like something MUST be going wrong if you were losing every day and now you’re not. But it’s just your body catching up. If you’re doing everything you’re supposed to be doing with Protein and calories and Water, you’ll lose weight when your body is ready.

I know four days seems like forever, but FOREVER is the rest of your life: years and years and years. It’s good to learn patience now, because unfortunately there will be a lot of stalls and other bumps along the way! Good luck, and congratulations on your surgery and weight loss.

I wish it was that fast! I actually did my liquid diet for about 6 weeks prior to surgery so that 40lbs has been since January 1, 2016, surgery was February 10, 2016.

But I did start with purrees and the weight loss has started once again so I am no longer discouraged.

Edited by Nurse_Lenora

@@Nurse_Lenora,

I wish it was that fast! I actually did my liquid diet for about 6 weeks prior to surgery so that 50lbs has been since January 1, 2016, surgery was February 10, 2016.

But I did start with purrees and the weight loss has started once again so I am no longer discouraged.

@@Nurse_Lenora

Hi there! Things will get moving again. The most important thing to realize is that 4 days with no loss is absolutely NOT a stall!

Now 3 to 4 weeks with no loss, yup that is a stall. Take it from me (queen of the stalls) it will come off if you follow the plan.

I have been weighing daily since my surgery. I learned very early on that my weight fluctuates from day to day. To weigh daily you have to have patience and a realistic expectation or this process will make you lose your mind and ultimately you will struggle.

I literally talk to myself before getting on the scale. There are days where I weigh a pound more than I did the day before and I know that really isn't possible given what I have eaten.

The good thing about weighing daily is you learn how your body reacts to certain foods. For example, if I had a heavy salt day, I won't lose and may even gain a little.

If I had a day where I exceeded Water, hit my Protein and stayed below my stats I might see a drop. If I do that 3 days in a row, chances are I will lose a couple pounds.

However, when you have a real stall there really is nothing you need to do but follow the plan.

I just want to tell you this is the most helpful response I have read to this kind of topic. Bless you.

Stall, lose, stall, lose, repeat - the story my journey so far. I have only been able to find some peace by taking a step back and realizing that I've dropped a lot of weight since this began and the trend is definitely still going down. I have stopped judging my success by the scale and am now going by how I feel. I have not had a long stall, but I stay at a weight and sometimes go up for for 7-10 days at a time, then drop a few days, then repeat the process. I am now co-morbidity free and can move without pain. I have energy I haven't had in decades and am wearing sizes i thought I had long ago abandoned. I decided not to let my weight loss total rule me,and it has made a huge difference in my perspective. Since I stopped obsessing about the exact number of pounds lost, I feel much healthier. I focus on getting in my Protein and Water and exercise (in other words what I can control) and accept the rest.

There's no way to convince people who are in the weight-losing phases that they worry too much about stalls.

If they do what their programs instruct and are patient, they will lose all their excess weight.