Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

By request - BigViffer Workout Routine

...until I know I'm doing it correctly I think I'm going to get a trainer.

I'm not big on trainers. All of my sport injuries came from doing exercises I learned from trainers. I would recommend a physical therapist over a trainer any day of the week. A sports medicine therapist is the best.

Ummm, never thought of that. Thanks

One thing to keep in mind about trainers (if they work at a gym and not a YMCA or rec center) they almost always will tell you how to lose weight fast or get big fast. But they don't teach lifestyle or maintenance style exercise. And they are many times paid commission on how many training sessions they do. So they will badger you to come see them to learn something, then come back again to learn something new. They want repeat customers.

A physical therapist however, never wants to have you as a customer again and will teach you how to avoid injuries. They will also tell you there are no shortcuts to gaining muscle mass nor weightloss. We now all understand that eating what you need and not what you want is the "secret" to weightloss because of our surgeon or NUT, but the exercise portion can be a free-for-all in regards to guidance.

I just had my surgery done on Tuesday and I can't wait to go back to the gym and work out! I have a few questions about your calorie intake. Since you are working out 4 to 5 days a week and it looks like you're doing high intensity workouts... What do you eat before and after your workouts? And how many calories do you eat per day? Also, do you feel any restrictions when you eat? I used to work out 5 days a week (weight training) and after a workout I would feel very hungry. I can't imagine eating the way I used to after a workout with this surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@carolina07 - you are perfectly welcome to post in this thread. There is no sensitive material here, I only posted this in the men's area only bolster content and I believed it to be a male centric POV workout.

To answer your question, I eat 1700-ish calories a day. Protein bar for Breakfast or oatmeal with Protein powder added. I'll have a snack of something like cheese or yogurt or pork rind with hummus around 11. I go to the gym around 12, hour and a half of exercise. Something meat post workout like ham, turkey or lunch meat. chicken breast is always good. I can eat about 5oz of dense meat. If I have salad, hell I can eat almost 2 cups!

As a note, I never eat lettuce salad anymore unless I am seriously constipated. Lettuce goes right through me and many others. Plus, it has no nutritional value. Kale and spinach with cabbage are my main-stays now.

I still feel restrictive, but it's not a bad thing. Get the good stuff in first and you should be good. I find that the most important habit I've formed is logging my food. If you don't currently use it, I recommend MyFitnessPal.

If you have any other questions, feel free to continue posting in this thread!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hey guys - I wanted to post an update to this thread. Another NSV for me. The deadlift is a damned hard exercise for several reasons. First off, you are lifting dead weight off the floor. Secondly form is so incredibly important in order to avoid injury. That is paramount to me since my entire weight issue started with an injury.

Well I am happy to say that today I set a personal best deadlift record; 185lbs! Back feels good as do my knees. Sure my legs are tired, but there is no pain. I am roughly 25lbs from my deadlift goal of my body weight. I should totally be able to accomplish that by my year two anniversary. Hopefully my pull-up will fall into line soon too!

...until I know I'm doing it correctly I think I'm going to get a trainer.

I'm not big on trainers. All of my sport injuries came from doing exercises I learned from trainers. I would recommend a physical therapist over a trainer any day of the week. A sports medicine therapist is the best.

I found a physical therapist who is also a trainer. Best of both worlds. My joints have taken a beating over the last 9 years from Rheumatoid Arthritis. Having someone who understands my medical condition and works WITH it is, quite simply, priceless. He meets me at my gym twice a week and I go to the PT clinic at my hospital -where he is on staff - once a week to build additional strength in my joints. Learning proper technique is key to prolonged success and health. I see people on machines not using them correctly and cringe.

Thank you for your post. I'm saving it.

@@BigViffer, I can only imagine how long it took you to write the main post on this thread. I believe 100% in weight lifting and the benefits that come from the discipline. It is awesome that you shared your knowledge with everyone on this forum. Keep it up. You look awesome.

Thanks @@NewSetOfCurves, mighty high praise coming from you and I truly appreciate it.

I don't mind typing up a hefty post if I believe the information is valuable and usable.

And I just saw where I was supposed to folwo up on this thread. Deadlift max weight is now 2lbs higher than my bodyweight of 198! So know the squat is my focus. Body weight there as well is the goal.

@@BigTink2LilTink - big news today man! 2, count them, 2 honest to goodness wide grip chin ups with palm facing away!

It's a brave new world people.

@@BigTink2LilTink - big news today man! 2, count them, 2 honest to goodness wide grip chin ups with palm facing away!

It's a brave new world people.

Kick Ass man. I tried to do my first pullup yesterday at the gym. It wasn't a success by any means, but the fact that I'm comfortable enough in my own body to try them now after 27 years is telling in itself.

@@BigViffer - glad I found this. I needed to get re-motivated about the gym. So many things going on in my personal life that I feel I have really taken my eye off the ball at the gym. Basically all I have done is anti-atrophy stuff. On your pull ups, are you using a band to help? I used it when I was starting because I was doing a mountain climb and seriously needed those muscles.

But I've seen sites that suggest that is not the best idea: http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/successful-pull-ups-for-beginners-say-no-to-bands

But here are some other ideas: http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/coach-i-cant-do-pull-ups-7-tips-to-get-you-there

@@OKCPirate - I never used the bands, but I have seen people do it. I also tried the assisted pull-up machine, but it was just was too easy or no help at all - no perfect medium. So I just resorted to negatives and choosing back exercises to strengthen the supportive muscles.

For those not familiar with negatives, basically you drag a bench up to the pull-up/chin-up bar; stand up on the bench and grab the bar in your preferred method. Jump up so that your chin is above the bar and just hold on as long as you can. Don't let go though as you weaken, let yourself start coming down as slow as you can stand it. Rest however long you need and repeat.