Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain in uppper left side of body after eating-12 months post op

I have a Gi dr appointment but just wondered if anyone else has had this. I am 12 months post op. it is uncomfortable after i eat food for 2-3 hours and then it goes away. But i don't want to eat much because of the discomfort/and pain sometimes. It also hurts to breathe really deep once the pain sets in. I haven not had any complications thus far. My surgeon is in Mexico so I don't have one here in Austin,,TX . Just seeing a GI dr for any problems.

Never thought I would have problems 12 months out. Weird

Yes, mine started around 18 months post-op. A lot of discomfort on left side under breast bone / rib area. Hurt after eating as well as when taking deep breaths. Had CT and EGD and surgeon found my stomach had dilated at the top, grew sort of another little pouch which was pushing up under my diaphragm. This was causing food to become trapped in the pouch & also producing more acid...thus acid reflux. Surgeon also found another hiatal hernia. I just had surgery 2 weeks ago, he removed the growth/pouch (neo-fundus) and fixed the hernia.

Sent from my iPad using BariatricPal

I'm so glad I found you. My surgery was canceled due to left side chest pains and pain when yarning or taking deep breaths all this time I thought maybe somethings wrong with my heart. Also after egd was performed after I would swallow my food such pain I would have the whole time I ate. It's has since stopped but the pain with deep breaths continue. Also pvc's every other beat. Thks for sharing this really helps me out.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I've had this same pain for some time, and two separate EGDs about a year apart showed the same kind of pouching from retained fundus at the very top of my sleeve (upper GI didn't show anything). Being resleeved on Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using BariatricPal

Sorry for your pains and developments!

May I ask, if anyone has received an answer as yo why this happened to them after getting sleeved?? Is it something you can help other people avoid? Or is there no known cause?

Thank you!

Yes, mine started around 18 months post-op. A lot of discomfort on left side under breast bone / rib area. Hurt after eating as well as when taking deep breaths. Had CT and EGD and surgeon found my stomach had dilated at the top, grew sort of another little pouch which was pushing up under my diaphragm. This was causing food to become trapped in the pouch & also producing more acid...thus acid reflux. Surgeon also found another hiatal hernia. I just had surgery 2 weeks ago, he removed the growth/pouch (neo-fundus) and fixed the hernia.

How are you doing now?

I have a Gi dr appointment but just wondered if anyone else has had this. I am 12 months post op. it is uncomfortable after i eat food for 2-3 hours and then it goes away. But i don't want to eat much because of the discomfort/and pain sometimes. It also hurts to breathe really deep once the pain sets in. I haven not had any complications thus far. My surgeon is in Mexico so I don't have one here in Austin,,TX . Just seeing a GI dr for any problems.

Never thought I would have problems 12 months out. Weird

Same. 4 years post op. Upper GI scheduled Nov 8th. The pain is bad I'm wanting to move the appointment further up. Pretty sure I'll be a revision story by December..hope you feel.better asap !!!!!!

Sent from my Z981 using the BariatricPal App

Let us know how you're doing !!!!

Sent from my Z981 using the BariatricPal App

I'm so thankful that I found this thread. I am 8 months post op vsg and I am experiencing the same exact symptoms that you all are describing whenever I eat or drink. I've been in and out of the hospital more times that I can count since January, and had every test that you can think of. My Bariatric dr did find a "bulge" (his words) at the very top of my stomach that had developed that he believes is what's causing me the pain, and I'll need to have it corrected. Today I'm actually going in for a Bravo PH study procedure because he wants to check acid levels in my esophagus first before he corrects the "bulge".

For anyone that has had their issue corrected through surgery, did your symptoms improve? How are you feeling now?