Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

change of policy Angeles Hospital in Mexico?

So I was just informed by my contact at Dr. Ramos Kelly's office that the Hospital Angeles requires a cash payment or they change a 16% tax and charge a different exchange rate(17 instead of 18.5 per US $). Does this sound shady to anyone else?

Isn't there a limit to how much money one can take out of the US? I imagine the ATM/cash withdrawal fees across the border might be cost- prohibitive (I've only ever traveled in Europe though, not Mexico, so I can't say).

I wouldn't go to Kelly!!! I've heard too many bad stories!!!

@sherry24184- what have you heard? I've looked all over the boards and haven't been able to find anything bad about him. I'd love any info you have.

So I was just informed by my contact at Dr. Ramos Kelly's office that the Hospital Angeles requires a cash payment or they change a 16% tax and charge a different exchange rate(17 instead of 18.5 per US $). Does this sound shady to anyone else?

YES! If you pay with cash you have ZERO recourse if anything doesn't go well. I highly suggest that you don't go that route.

I've talked to a nurse that has worked with him. I've also seen post on here in the past that have said he didn't actually remove the stomach. I did talk to nurse in person but this is hear say so I won't repeat but I personally would not use him.

There was a gal who posted the other day - she does YouTube videos - who had to cancel because of all that mess and only finding out about it right before her trip. Sounds sketchy to me.

There was a gal who posted the other day - she does YouTube videos - who had to cancel because of all that mess and only finding out about it right before her trip. Sounds sketchy to me.

YouTube- salinagetssleeved

I've talked to a nurse that has worked with him. I've also seen post on here in the past that have said he didn't actually remove the stomach. I did talk to nurse in person but this is hear say so I won't repeat but I personally would not use him.

Who would you recommend in Mexico? This situation brings up some questions in my mind and depending on the answers I get I might have to change surgeons.

@sherry24184- what have you heard? I've looked all over the boards and haven't been able to find anything bad about him. I'd love any info you have.

What kind of recourse would you need? If your putting your life in their hands you should trust them with payment...

I went with Dr. Illan & love my results. This wasn't intended to sway you towards my Dr (even though I love him) but to sway you away from Dr Kelly. You can look at my profile if you'd like.

I went with Dr. Illan & love my results. This wasn't intended to sway you towards my Dr (even though I love him) but to sway you away from Dr Kelly. You can look at my profile if you'd like.

I understand and if this situation cannot be resolved I will be looking for a new doctor and personal reference is my favorite way to start. Im kind of a mess emotionally right now, even before this whole fiasco with the payment started. surgery is my least favorite thing next to dying and I'm totally freaked out and I still have 3 1/2 weeks to go.

I understand and if this situation cannot be resolved I will be looking for a new doctor and personal reference is my favorite way to start. Im kind of a mess emotionally right now, even before this whole fiasco with the payment started. surgery is my least favorite thing next to dying and I'm totally freaked out and I still have 3 1/2 weeks to go.

I might be a little biased but I'd highly suggest you check out http://TeamMX.BariatricPal.com .

@@lost-in-motion I just booked a revision from sleeve to bypass with Dr. Kelly and i was also told about the cash for the hospital. I don't like going to Mexico with that much cash. Dr. Kelly did my sleeve in 2011 and now it's stretched and I have acid reflux. I don't blame him I think he did a great job the first time so I'm comfortable going back to him but the whole hospital thing is not good. Not to mention I was told one price and now it's $1400 more.