Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Expected Weight Loss

I will be six months out next week and I started at 244. I have lost 42 pounds. So far this chart runs true for me. It says I can expect to lose 35 to 45 pounds. Sometimes I feel disappointed in myself until I look at this chart again to remind myself that I am doing normal.

That's great!!! I feel the same way. I am 6 weeks out and only down 15lbs. I thought I would drop 20 like nothing. I started at 215lbs, so I figured I may lose slower. Hoping by the 2 month mark I can be down 20lbs. If I can average 10lbs a month I will feel secure in my weight loss!

You won't average 10 pounds a month with a starting weight of 215. You are setting yourself up for disappointment if expect to lose that much that consistently. You may average 10 pounds for the first 2-3 months, but it will slow way down as you get closer to your goal. I was down to losing about 2 pounds a month towards the end there.

I will be six months out next week and I started at 244. I have lost 42 pounds. So far this chart runs true for me. It says I can expect to lose 35 to 45 pounds. Sometimes I feel disappointed in myself until I look at this chart again to remind myself that I am doing normal.

That's great!!! I feel the same way. I am 6 weeks out and only down 15lbs. I thought I would drop 20 like nothing. I started at 215lbs, so I figured I may lose slower. Hoping by the 2 month mark I can be down 20lbs. If I can average 10lbs a month I will feel secure in my weight loss!

You won't average 10 pounds a month with a starting weight of 215. You are setting yourself up for disappointment if expect to lose that much that consistently. You may average 10 pounds for the first 2-3 months, but it will slow way down as you get closer to your goal. I was down to losing about 2 pounds a month towards the end there.

I totally understand that. That is what I meant... since I am smaller in weight I would not lose as fast... within 5-6 months, 40 lbs is amazing.. I know eventually (and even now) it will be very minimal and slow. Like I said I am only down 15lbs since January 25th. 10 of those were lost in the first 3 weeks and the other 5 have been lost in the 4th and 5th week. Nothing at all for this 6th week!

I totally understand that. That is what I meant... since I am smaller in weight I would not lose as fast... within 5-6 months, 40 lbs is amazing.. I know eventually (and even now) it will be very minimal and slow. Like I said I am only down 15lbs since January 25th. 10 of those were lost in the first 3 weeks and the other 5 have been lost in the 4th and 5th week. Nothing at all for this 6th week!

Okay, good! Glad you understand. I see so many posts on here from people who really do expect to lose 10-20 pounds a month, month after month, all the way down to their goal and I worry about those people being really down on themselves when that doesn't happen. The message I really want EVERYONE to understand is that the rate of loss doesn't matter AT ALL. As long as the scale keeps trending downward, you will eventually get to your goal. And 10 years from now, when you are living your happy, healthy life, you aren't going to be looking back thinking "Damnit! If only I'd reached goal two months earlier!" It truly does not matter!

Okay, good! Glad you understand. I see so many posts on here from people who really do expect to lose 10-20 pounds a month, month after month, all the way down to their goal and I worry about those people being really down on themselves when that doesn't happen. The message I really want EVERYONE to understand is that the rate of loss doesn't matter AT ALL. As long as the scale keeps trending downward, you will eventually get to your goal. And 10 years from now, when you are living your happy, healthy life, you aren't going to be looking back thinking "Damnit! If only I'd reached goal two months earlier!" It truly does not matter!

Exactly!!!! As long as it keeps going down I am happy! I am a revision from lapband, so I know how this all works and I personally like to set small goals for myself. As of right now I am just wanting to get into Onederland! Then 190 is my goal for now... that was my pregnancy starting weight that has taken me a year to get off the weight! :) I started at 235lbs back in November before I had to lose weight for surgery. So all together of course I am happy to be down 35 lbs total so far!!! :)

I was told to make sure I got 60 grams of Protein up until now which has been the first 6 weeks. Now she says to increase it to 80 grams. Having a difficult time getting it all in though but pushing forward to get it done!

:)

Thanks for sharing the chart. It's reassuring. At six months out (which was two weeks ago) I had lost 52 pounds from my highest weight and 45 pounds from my surgery weight, so I am progressing better than I'd thought. I had a lengthy, discouraging stall but recently began to start losing again.

I was told to make sure I got 60 grams of Protein up until now which has been the first 6 weeks. Now she says to increase it to 80 grams. Having a difficult time getting it all in though but pushing forward to get it done!

I began adding GENEPRO Protein powder to my diet a few weeks ago, and have been pleased with it. One tablespoon scoop delivers 30 grams of Protein, and it dissolves very well into both hot and cold drinks without adding any flavor or aroma. I don't know if it's a matter of causation or just correlation, but I broke my five week stall shortly after adding it to my daily diet. I've read mixed reviews on here with some saying it doesn't deliver on its promises, but the majority of others raving about it. For me, it's been beneficial and I plan on repurchasing. I'll post the link in case it is of interest to you:

http://www.amazon.com/Musclegen-Research-Genepro-Medical-Servings/dp/B00K6OSDYA/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1457587782&sr=8-1&keywords=genepro+protein

Clementine thanks!

I'm not six months out yet but I lost 60 pounds in the first few months. My surgeon said the AVERAGE weight loss at six months is 80 pounds.

@@mBig If you do try GENEPRO, I would just caution that you should still only count it as 15 grams of Protein. It's not physically possibly to fit 30 grams of protein into 15 grams of powder. Their argument is that your body absorbs their protein better, so it's the "equivalent" of 30 grams of protein. Since they aren't regulated by the FDA and there have been no third party studies to prove or discredit their claims, you should take them with a grain of salt. If they are right and your body doe utilize and absorb more of their protein, then all the better. But if they are wrong and you are actually coming up 15 grams short every day, that could add up to a large deficiency over time.

At 6 months I was down 60 pounds.... And I started at a lower BMI so that normally means a slower weight loss

Most of the time people think in terms of percentage of excess weight loss. A person with 200# to lose is going to lose way "faster" than somebody with 75# to lose - but the percentages might be the same.

The rough guideline I received was that at 6 months, most sleevers have lost 40-60% of their EXCESS weight. I beat it by a few points... I think /i had lost about 63% of my excess at 6 months. However, it took me another 8 months to get to goal, and lose 100% of the excess.... because it does indeed slow down.

I just checked the historical records....ha... i had lost 94# (that includes 8# lost in the 2 weeks preop). I lost 150# in 14 months to get to goal. I lost I think 168 to get down to the 140 range.

I currently weigh 153, under my goal, but little higher than my lowest. I am 4 years post opl.

Focusing on the percentage of excess weight lost is definitely logical,.................and yet it didn't occur to me to do that instead of fixating on the number on the scale. Thanks for your post. I've lost 79% of my excess weight (as determined by my own original goal weight and BMI) from my highest weight at six months and two weeks out. I've set a new goal weight so I do still have a ways to go, but I'm making better progress than I thought. That's certainly a much more encouraging (and sensible) way to look at it than I had been.

Most of the time people think in terms of percentage of excess weight loss. A person with 200# to lose is going to lose way "faster" than somebody with 75# to lose - but the percentages might be the same.

The rough guideline I received was that at 6 months, most sleevers have lost 40-60% of their EXCESS weight. I beat it by a few points... I think /i had lost about 63% of my excess at 6 months. However, it took me another 8 months to get to goal, and lose 100% of the excess.... because it does indeed slow down.

I just checked the historical records....ha... i had lost 94# (that includes 8# lost in the 2 weeks preop). I lost 150# in 14 months to get to goal. I lost I think 168 to get down to the 140 range.

I currently weigh 153, under my goal, but little higher than my lowest. I am 4 years post opl.

Focusing on the percentage of excess weight lost is definitely logical,.................and yet it didn't occur to me to do that instead of fixating on the number on the scale. Thanks for your post. I've lost 79% of my excess weight (as determined by my own original goal weight and BMI) from my highest weight at six months and two weeks out. I've set a new goal weight so I do still have a ways to go, but I'm making better progress than I thought. That's certainly a much more encouraging (and sensible) way to look at it than I had been.

yes, that is a much more sensible way to look at it, except Math. :-) I couldn't figure it that way to save me life.

Does anybody else take their measurements every month? I have found that, even when the scale doesn't move for 3 weeks, I still am losing inches.