Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Expected Weight Loss

Question for sleevers who are about 6 months out. How much wt have you lost? I know everyone is different and has different body types etc. I would lose quite a bit in the first 3 months and then it will decrease. I am 3 weeks out and am down 24 lbs! But how much should I expect to lose from this point forward? Trying to plan for new clothes and the like! Lol

I'd lost 51 pounds at 6 months out. But I started with a lower BMI and frankly have the metabolism of a koala bear.

I've seen some that have lost 75-100 at 6 months out. They either started with higher BMI's, or are men.

That's why it's just SO HARD to guess how much you may or may not lose. But you've certainly done amazing so far! Also, expect a stall really soon. You're right in that window. Expect your weight loss to slow down a little after the first stall, too.

Most of the time people think in terms of percentage of excess weight loss. A person with 200# to lose is going to lose way "faster" than somebody with 75# to lose - but the percentages might be the same.

The rough guideline I received was that at 6 months, most sleevers have lost 40-60% of their EXCESS weight. I beat it by a few points... I think /i had lost about 63% of my excess at 6 months. However, it took me another 8 months to get to goal, and lose 100% of the excess.... because it does indeed slow down.

I just checked the historical records....ha... i had lost 94# (that includes 8# lost in the 2 weeks preop). I lost 150# in 14 months to get to goal. I lost I think 168 to get down to the 140 range.

I currently weigh 153, under my goal, but little higher than my lowest. I am 4 years post opl.

i should also mention, that calculation is a little wonky. I technically did not lose 100% of excess in those first 14 months because my goal weight was 158# but my target for purposes of the calculation was 142. I didn't get down to the low 140s until i was well into maintenance, but it does give you a rough idea. If you are halfway to 2/3 to goal by 6 months, it is awesome. If you are not, you can still make it, these are all just guidelines and we are all so different!

I lost 47 pounds in my first 6 months post-op. But everyone is so different. It really is just impossible to predict.

Like those above said everyone is different. For me I am almost 5 months out and have lost 85lbs now. I did start a bit heavier then most women as I was 319 at surgery. I did not hit any real stalls until just the last week or so things have slowed down but still moving.

Edited by reree6898

Thanks guys! Appreciate your input!

I am losing slower than most. I am a band to sleeve revision. I was sleeved on 1/25 and in the day of sugery I was 216 lbs. Today I weigh in at 204 lbs. Not what I was hoping for, but I am happy to at least be going down.... I am going to kick up my workouts and hopefully that will get my weight going going gone! :)

@@Caela88 at a month post op,, are you cleared for intense exercise?

I lost 82 lbs at 6 months. But as you have read, everyone is different!

@@Caela88 at a month post op,, are you cleared for intense exercise?

yes, I am cleared for exercise. I was told I could start exercising at my two week post op appointment as long as I wasn't uncomfortable and had no pain.

I was also sleeved on 1/25/16 and lost 11lbs at first week follow up. Yesterday was one month follow up and I only lost 3 lbs. I felt like I had lost at least 10lbs more but the scale doesn't lie. I have about 60lbs to loose over the next year my Dr says, so she said 5lbs a month was good for me. I didn't think it was going to be so slow and maybe it won't. I have a hard time getting everything in, Protein, Water, water, water ???? I have not started exercising yet but it's in the plan I don't want to end up with a pancake butt and loose skin. I'm told I won't have sagging skin if I exercise. My BMI was 38.5 at time of starting shakes only and I lost 16lbs so at day of surgery I was at 35.5 I'm happy to be feeling better and seeing the numbers go down instead of yo yo ing. Im excited to see my Blood work in 2 months.

Edited by Blondie 6388

Sleeved on 8/17/2015. I have lost 80lb went from a BMI 44.9 to 27.0 I'm 35lb from my goal.

SShawk: My BMI was 44-46 prior to surgery! So in 6 mos you've lost 80#! Thats fantastic! Exactly what I hope to lose in 6 mos! My husband and I are celebrating our anniversary in July in FL so want to be in better shape to go parasailing, ride roller coasters, jet ski, all the things I have wanted to do but was too large for us to do together! Thanks!