Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK...I drank the Kool-Aid

Hi there other vets. Those in maintenance especially. This is so different than the weight loss stage, isn't it? So..I went away over the weekend with some of my girlfriends and somewhere around dinner on Saturday, I couldn't kid myself anymore that I was being mindful of what I was consuming. Actually, I was being very mindful...and very aware that I was eating way too much, and drinking too much, and eating the wrong things. Oh, I tried. I had fruit instead of chocolate, I didn't eat everything on my plate, I drank wine instead of cocktails. But still...I gained 2 1/2 lbs. and honestly expected it might be more than that.

So today is Monday, the start of a new week, and I'm committed to going back to eating as I usually do, and hoping the gain is minimized or even gone by next week. Part of me knows that this is just what life is like when we are maintaining, but part of me panics fearing this is the beginning of that slippery slope back to obesity.

Thank goodness for this site where I can come to express my feelings and feel like I'm reconnecting with those who truly understand this lifelong journey. And that's what it is....all my life, this will be an issue. I know some vets get past it and go about their business but that's not me. I'm always aware that my addiction is close by and can overtake me at any time. If that means feeling a little sorry for myself for 'drinking the Kool-Aid' once in a while, so be it. Today is a new day and I'm eating clean so far and planning on heading to the Y tonight to get in a Water exercise class. I bet I'm doing and feeling better tomorrow... ;)

Boy, do I hear you! This morning I stored all hubby's chocolate in the garage. For me, I'm learning that occasional treats can over a period of months become a new habit I don't need or want. Mindfulness is such an important, different way for me to behave with food. Lessons haven't stopped yet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

Welcome to normal life! Every single normal weight person I know has a little binge here and there on a weekend or a vacation. You know what they do? They just get right back into their normal routine again when it's over and move on. That's what maintenance is. Living like a normal person!

I think you have been at goal around 2 years - about 3 years post op?

I can't explain it, but that general time frame was harder for me than it is now, a year later. I had a teensy bit of worry that I was destined to regain because I had developed physical problems that reduced my activity, I had gone on a 2 week all inclusive vacation in costa rica and ate and drank too much, I was feeling more hungry, and the scale was inching up.

I think it's "just life" and now a year later, I am back under goal, hunger is normal/in good control and I am feeling more optimistic about getting on track with exercise (latest setback was a surgical complication!)

I think you have a healthy attitude - just keep going! I have no idea what the next year brings, but i guess we have to roll with what life throws at us!

Well I second cowgirl's point that this is just how life is now. Our new normal.

I'm tending to think in terms of " this week ". Or " this month" ....I'm lower on the scale.... Or conversely higher .... Time to string together some on program days

Often they don't come linear....

As others have pointed out, eating well 90% of the time is what lots of us try for.

A bad eating day. Or a great eating day... Usually many of us are fairly on track .... Protein... Water... Some exercise

Just a routine that gets derailed here and there...

With vacations, cocktails, desserts... Whatever throws you off your game.

Hopefully, your regular pattern does return.

I believe we all want to succeed.

I'm still trying!

For the past 6 months I've been fighting a 4-pound battle. It goes up for a while, then I knock it back down, then it goes up again. And I'm really not doing much different, EXCEPT.... It seems to go up whenever I get less rigorous about the not eating and drinking rule. When I eat almonds and drink Crystal Light too close together, the fullness goes away and I'm hungry again almost immediately. So I reach for another handful. The last time it stayed up for a while, dry-roasted peanuts were involved, so I probably need to take a break from the nuts! I also fall into the trap of wanting to feel full all the time. Does anyone else have that issue?

Just got to stay mindful and vigilant at all times and realize that this is what we signed up for. I'd sure rather battle 4 pounds than 120!!!

@@Rogofulm Definitely need to stay religious about the eating and drinking at the same time. It seems like a surefire way to eat around the restriction. How long would you say you stay "full" when you eat high Protein and don't drink at the same time? I find that as long as I am eating high protein meals and snacks... I usually feel pretty contentedly full until it's time for the next one. Only long stretch I have is usually between my afternoon snack and dinner, so I might be tempted to try to squeeze some more food in there if I weren't busy working out.

@@Rogofulm Definitely need to stay religious about the eating and drinking at the same time. It seems like a surefire way to eat around the restriction. How long would you say you stay "full" when you eat high Protein and don't drink at the same time? I find that as long as I am eating high Protein meals and Snacks... I usually feel pretty contentedly full until it's time for the next one. Only long stretch I have is usually between my afternoon snack and dinner, so I might be tempted to try to squeeze some more food in there if I weren't busy working out.

I eat nothing BUT protein, pretty much. I just seem to need to feel full all the time. I remember this from the bad old days, so it concerns me somewhat. But it usually happens when I'm not very busy or watching TV, so it may be a boredom eating thing.

OK, guys -- I have a theory that has occurred to me this morning, and I'm now conducting a science experiment to test it out.

For the last few months I've been trying to stop losing weight. For the last 6 months I've been averaging 1700 calories daily. So a few weeks ago I upped my daily calories target to 1800.

I have eaten those extra calories (and maybe another 100 of the 1700) in the form of simple carbs -- dark chocolate, bread, Pasta. Nothing awful -- just trying to get more calories in and to enjoy myself. ;)

During that time, as I've been eating more, I have started to fight the hunger monster again. My MFP records show that 7 of the last 30 days I've eaten 2100 - 2500 calories a day. That is WAY more than I need to maintain my weight. But I've legitimately *felt hungry* on those days. That's not a good change.

So I started thinking last night -- hmmm, hunger. Hmmm, stomach acid? And I realized that my stomach DOES feel more acidic than it used to feel post-op. That shouldn't be surprising, given that I'm eating more simple carbs these days, which does cause more stomach acid.

So this morning I decided to start using my PPI antacid for a week (Omeprazole once a day) to learn if that will have an effect on my newly increased appetite.

Science. It's a good thing. :)

OK, guys -- I have a theory that has occurred to me this morning, and I'm now conducting a science experiment to test it out.

For the last few months I've been trying to stop losing weight. For the last 6 months I've been averaging 1700 calories daily. So a few weeks ago I upped my daily calories target to 1800.

I have eaten those extra calories (and maybe another 100 of the 1700) in the form of simple carbs -- dark chocolate, bread, Pasta. Nothing awful -- just trying to get more calories in and to enjoy myself. ;)

During that time, as I've been eating more, I have started to fight the hunger monster again. My MFP records show that 7 of the last 30 days I've eaten 2100 - 2500 calories a day. That is WAY more than I need to maintain my weight. But I've legitimately *felt hungry* on those days. That's not a good change.

So I started thinking last night -- hmmm, hunger. Hmmm, stomach acid? And I realized that my stomach DOES feel more acidic than it used to feel post-op. That shouldn't be surprising, given that I'm eating more simple carbs these days, which does cause more stomach acid.

So this morning I decided to start using my PPI antacid for a week (Omeprazole once a day) to learn if that will have an effect on my newly increased appetite.

Science. It's a good thing. :)

I'm very curious to hear wether this works.

Although I think carbs contribute to hunger due to the effect on blood sugar...

Yeah, carbs make me hungry. Actually the honest truth is the less I eat, the less hungry I am. Health is my focus, so I don't go down that nasty path but it is so strange that I can fast or low carb until I am physically weak and not feel hung e r, but if I am not eating small my appetite increases.

Sounds like everyone is doing great but my thoughts have gone around be adaptable. My experiences right now are quite a bit different then they were 1, 2 or 3 years ago. Example, regarding nuts - I used to have them as part of my snack repertoire, but I almost NEVER eat them anymore because I want more than a few. I think Ann is onto something about running little experiments on ourselves and continually adjust.

Btw, Ann I consider myself something of an expert on NOT losing weight. I highly recommend Peanut Butter served your favorite way and milk. Well, being a sleeved, have the milk first so you aren't breaking any rules. Between the sugars and the calorie dense Peanut Butter - worked like a charm everytime.

Thanks, @@CowgirlJane ... I always appreciate hearing about your (and other longer-term vets') experiences.

@@gowalking it sounds like you are just living life as a "normal" person. Someone who eats healthy most of the time, binges on a few treats on a special occasion and then goes back to eating healthy. Congrats!

I always indulge on cocktails and Desserts and very non-bariatric friendly foods when I'm on vacation. I don't deprive myself of any of the yummy traditional foods over holidays. But then I'm right back on track afterwards. In fact, I've even started doing "preemptive strikes" to minimize the weight I have to lose afterwards. I will go back to basic Protein and veggies or even put myself on the liquid preop diet for several days prior to the times I know I'll be eating off plan. This gets me to the bottom (or even under) my bounce range, so any weight I gain isn't so bad. Even if I gain a few pounds I'm usually still in my bounce range and I go on with life as usual. If at any time I'm above my bounce, it's back to basics.

As long as you acknowledge those small gains and do something about them, they won't get a chance to become big gains. Remember when all our skinny friends would complain about gaining 5 pounds like it was the end of the world? Well now that's us! And we have the power and tools to do something about it and STAY skinny people!

My experiences right now are quite a bit different then they were 1, 2 or 3 years ago. Example, regarding nuts - I used to have them as part of my snack repertoire, but I almost NEVER eat them anymore because I want more than a few.

Yeah, nuts seem to be a problem for me. While not technically "sliders", they are a quick what to get in a whole lot of calories, and they're readily available 1/2 hour later for another handful. I've gotta lay off 'em. Thanks, @@CowgirlJane for confirming my suspicion!

I think the key to eating nuts is Portion Control. I measure and track them. I try not to eat them every day and only allow for one serving a day. Nuts don't call my name so I find it pretty easy to control eating them. chocolate is my bugaboo so I keep it out of the house altogether.