Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to Handle (Rudeness)

So when I left a Nutrition class 1 of the ladies who clearly doesn't feel she needs the surgery but still came to the meeting... Says to me.. Why do you think you need WLS? Instantly I felt the need to tell her about my hips knees ankles n feet. How I have had 6 surgeries on my feet etc etc. so she says u not heavy at all im 278lbs and you can't weigh what I weigh. You don't need it...... Now she just goes on a tangent about how she really Don't want the surgery but she was told that she needs it blah blah blah.....I'm not even interested in what she has to say but I still managed to smile and tell her to have a good day. As I started to hurt from standing there I began to walk/limp to my vehicle in the handicap area n she says how did you get that ( handicap sticker).. I shook my head. It's frustrating when people look at me and say things like that. You don't know my struggle or even my weight. You don't know my health issues etc... I felt like saying Mind Your Own business!!!!! Worry about yourself!!! ..... In the Future how should I handle this???

Honestly, all you can do is worry about you. If you spend all your time wasting energy on negative people you'll be exhausted from that alone. Remember the one thing you have control over is you and how you react. If you need to ignore it or tell yourself how miserable that person must be....then so be it.

Sounds like this person was being rude because she is feeling self-conscious and insecure herself. She's trying to justify her own crappy decisions but reducing your difficulty, which is none of her business anyway. You said it above and it's so true, no one knows your life and your struggle, so no one but you gets a say in what you do and how you deal with things. Hopefully this rude person will grow up a little, but if not, this is about you and not her. Do what you need to do. :)

@@jj7481 and @ cervidae thank you so much for your response. You guys are Right. This Journey is Mine.. Negative people are everywhere and I think it just shocked me because she was in the class. My assumption that only Positive people are on this journey was wrong. I now know to be aware.

I agree with what everyone has said.

Another thing I have noticed is that even though everyone who has WLS (or is even considering it) is overweight or obese, that may be the ONLY thing they have in common.

Obesity is a disease that affects all kinds of people. There is a wide range of people with different levels of life experience, age, education level, self awareness, common sense, socioeconomic class, and physical, emotional and intellectual capacity and capability. It takes all kinds!

I feel sometimes when your on the right path something always tries to get in your way. The devil, bad vibes whatever you believe or don't it's like a test. Just stay the course and laugh off the people like that. I would have been vague and said we all have issues...good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using BariatricPal

You meet really rude people along the way. I can't understand why parents allow there children to be rude. When children are rude I don't blame them I just stare at their parents. I heard even from my parents for years oh u have to loose weight. Even when I was in the hospital sick my mom says to me oh stacy you have to lose weight, I had a bad infection. I didn't get it.

Just say "Thank you for your concern, but I got this" and walk away. That's the only way to really deal in a respectful matter. You don't have to read or shade them, but kill them with tactiful kindness.

Technically speaking, you don't know that person from Adam's paint, so she didn't need an explanation. So don't be ashame to say none of your business.

I would have told her to mind her business I didn't ask you to your opinion and then I was smiled and said have a good.