Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trouble finding a variety of foods I can eat well...

Hi all,

I was banded in October of 2015. My weight loss has been pretty slow but it's not necessarily due to me "trying" really hard and doing all of the right things. I'm just having a really hard time finding high Protein foods I can eat easily since my second fill around 4 weeks ago. I like that I'm feeling restriction and maybe I just have to eat smaller bites, take a longer time and chew a lot more but there are foods I already stay away from. I don't want to grow sick and tired of certain foods but right now I find myself gravitating towards grits (I'm a US southern girl) with cheese (for protein), instant potatoes with cheese (also for protein), Cereal with milk (try to find high protein cereals) and...soups. Even before lap band, I've never been a big meat/poultry eater but after trying chicken a few times, I'm okay staying away from it. I tried eating a banana at work the other day (I'm a teacher and usually have about 20 minutes, if that to suck it down) and it did not go down easily so I stopped eating it. I guess I just want some ideas so I don't feel like I'm eating all pureed foods like someone without teeth-LOL and so I don't get so frustrated! I've been avoiding salads because I'm afraid they will not go down easily. I'm thankful for the weight loss but I didn't expect not being able to eat "healthy" foods easily. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

This is all stuff I'm eating on my blended but it might give you some ideas:

Try some low fat cottage cheese (you can mix in a little sweet chilli sauce or some chopped cherry tomatoes), blend some meat (chicken or turkey or even white fish) with gravy and put it in your mash (potato, sweet potato or vegetables), order some special high Protein puddings or milkshakes (I got some vanilla puddings from protein.com and they were amazing - I think 15g of Protein and around 100kcal), have scrambled eggs (a lot of protein in eggs, just crack two of 'em with seasoning in a pan), smooth porridge, low fat custard or rice pudding, low fat Greek yogurt, fromage frais, or tuna fish in low cal Tomato sauce!

Hope some of these help - if grits is high in carbs it probably doesn't help you much. Not that I've ever had it before!! And make sure you use very low fat cheese or milk and don't add butter to things! ????????????

I'm afraid you're not going to like my comments but I eat what I ate before the surgery. I follow the rules, take small bites, chew my food to a Soup like consistency and eat as slow as I can. I eat sandwiches, eggs, chicken, fish, beef, Beans, rice, all veggies. If you follow the band eating rules, you should be able to lead a fairly normal diet.

The foods you're eating are foods you shouldn't have been eating now or before you were banded. Grits, fresh or processed mashed potatoes, processed cereals, milk and cheese can be consumed but in much smaller quantities than you indicate. Just from a nutritional standpoint these foods hold very little nutritional value and can spike your insulin levels which soon makes you even more hungry.

Soups are OK in small quantities but then again, they don't provide the satiety that solid foods provide. What you're eating is what we call "Slider Foods". They slide right through the band and won't give you the satisfaction that solid foods give unless you eat so much that your lower stomach fills to capacity. You won't be successful eating like that.

Here is a series of videos from a well known bariatric surgeon that explain how the band works and why it works. It seems like you weren't informed on how this all works? I'm just saying all this so you will be successful. I don't know of anyone who ate slider foods from the start and lost a significant amount of weight?

I highly recommend you watch these videos and I also recommend you have a consult with your nutritionist/dietician?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa3Lwt6ElIs&list=UL Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4jYJipQ7vc part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbdhf44ZweI&feature=relmfu Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF3TCKUn3YI Part 4

Hi all,

I was banded in October of 2015. My weight loss has been pretty slow but it's not necessarily due to me "trying" really hard and doing all of the right things. I'm just having a really hard time finding high Protein foods I can eat easily since my second fill around 4 weeks ago. I like that I'm feeling restriction and maybe I just have to eat smaller bites, take a longer time and chew a lot more but there are foods I already stay away from. I don't want to grow sick and tired of certain foods but right now I find myself gravitating towards grits (I'm a US southern girl) with cheese (for protein), instant potatoes with cheese (also for protein), cereal with milk (try to find high Protein cereals) and...soups. Even before lap band, I've never been a big meat/poultry eater but after trying chicken a few times, I'm okay staying away from it. I tried eating a banana at work the other day (I'm a teacher and usually have about 20 minutes, if that to suck it down) and it did not go down easily so I stopped eating it. I guess I just want some ideas so I don't feel like I'm eating all pureed foods like someone without teeth-LOL and so I don't get so frustrated! I've been avoiding salads because I'm afraid they will not go down easily. I'm thankful for the weight loss but I didn't expect not being able to eat "healthy" foods easily. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

I don't have a lapband, so please take this with a grain of salt, but you seem to be eating an awful lot of carbs, even if you are putting cheese on them.

Have you talked to your NUT?

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your input. I don't want to sound smart-that is really not my intention but if your only advice is to tell me I'm currently eating too many carbs and to talk to my nutritionist I'd appreciate not stating the obvious. I'm asking for DIFFERENT foods to try as I'm frustrated with what I'm currently eating. I'm not justifying my diet. I'm just telling you what I've been able to tolerate/swallow. If you do not have a band, you have no idea what I'm referring to. If you gave me suggestions or videos, I'll look into them and watch them. I've been educated about the band. In all honesty, I don't think the place I was banded has an amazing setup and the nutritionist is overweight herself so it really doesn't make me want to ask her. Sorry, honest/real answer. I am self pay and am able to ask very few questions when I go see the doctor. I don't think it is a wonderful setup but I do think this is a wonderful tool. If I could find answers from my doctor/nutritionist, I would not be asking you guys. Again, thanks for your help but if you cannot or don't want to contribute in ways that will help, please avoid commenting. Thanks- A frustrated bander

This is an anonymous forum. No one knows you or what your depth of knowledge is of nutrition and understanding how to work with your tool?

My advice is to try to eat all foods but don't bite the hands of the people who only want to help you with their personal experience. Accept some advice and ignore the others.

Hi all,

I was banded in October of 2015. My weight loss has been pretty slow but it's not necessarily due to me "trying" really hard and doing all of the right things. I'm just having a really hard time finding high Protein foods I can eat easily since my second fill around 4 weeks ago. I like that I'm feeling restriction and maybe I just have to eat smaller bites, take a longer time and chew a lot more but there are foods I already stay away from. I don't want to grow sick and tired of certain foods but right now I find myself gravitating towards grits (I'm a US southern girl) with cheese (for protein), instant potatoes with cheese (also for protein), cereal with milk (try to find high Protein cereals) and...soups. Even before lap band, I've never been a big meat/poultry eater but after trying chicken a few times, I'm okay staying away from it. I tried eating a banana at work the other day (I'm a teacher and usually have about 20 minutes, if that to suck it down) and it did not go down easily so I stopped eating it. I guess I just want some ideas so I don't feel like I'm eating all pureed foods like someone without teeth-LOL and so I don't get so frustrated! I've been avoiding salads because I'm afraid they will not go down easily. I'm thankful for the weight loss but I didn't expect not being able to eat "healthy" foods easily. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Hey butterfly40 - Personally I add protein to nearly everything and i try to think of things that will "stick to my ribs" in a manner of speaking.

Seems like quick easy foods would be best for a teacher - I think you sound like you'd do well with some tuna or egg salad with crunchy celery or onion in it with maybe a couple saltines or cucumber slices? Make some sugar free pudding & add your favorite Protein powder to it then add a tablespoon of healthy granola on top if you want/need the crunch factor or crumble up a piece of a crunchy Protein Bar? I've also made batches of crustless quiche in a mini muffin pan. They travel well are pretty tasty at room temp and you can put anything in them. I start with 5 eggs and a little cheese then clean out my veggie drawer. Makes 24 little mini quiche.

If you care to share likes/dislikes then I'd be happy to make other suggestions or send over recipes :)

String cheese wrapped with a turkey slice, pinto Beans with cheese and a little taco sauce, Peanut Butter on whatever u can tolerate, "mock lasagna" which is ricotta cheese with pizza sauce and mozzarella in a little crock and baked about 10-15 minutes (yummy) and I added some turkey pepperoni once I could tolerate it. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Ok. I'm a nurse and work nights so it's either really busy, no time to eat or really slow, snack all night. Some of my favorite foods: chic fil a has an awesome chicken salad and its finely chopped and goes down super easy and they have a fruit cup to die for! When I'm feeling tight I eat fat free decried Beans with low fat cheese on top with taco sauce. Peanut Butter and thinly sliced Apple wedges, oatmeal with Protein powder added for extra P! I do Protein Shakes when I don't have much time, boiled eggs, cheese cubes and turkey pepperoni slices, pretzel chips and I love hummus. Rotisserie chicken de boned and divided in baggies can be a quick grab and go. You can get lunch meat that's pretty good like roast beef, turkey and chicken, tuna snack packs, Market Street has all kinds of prepared foods like chicken salad, egg salad, deviled eggs, and they have a deli and prepared foods too. I only cook on my days off and use the crock pot a lot. My husband is diabetic so that helps. We make taco soup( lean ground beef or chicken) lots of beans( esp black beans, pinto, lots of protein there) and roast. I never know what the night will be like so most of food for work is something I can grab and go that I know won't get stuck if I have to eat fast and I'm a pretty picky eater. Hope this helps. I'll add more as I think of it. [emoji173]️ good luck!

As a southern girl, how about try some homemade pimento cheese with lite mayo (or Greek yogurt) and mix in some unflavored Protein powder. (Non-southern people generally have no idea what pimiento cheese is! ????). It keeps really well and is great with cucumbers, a few crackers, or just with a spoon! If you want a recipe, send me a PM and I will send you mine.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

try boneless skinless chicken thighs, they are a little more fatty than breasts but i can tolerate them pretty well!

another favorite is plain greek yogurt, cool whip, some mashed fruit (usually peaches for me) and splenda or honey for a little sweetness. works great for any meal when your feeling tight but still has some great protein!

tuna fish

find a protien shake that you like. and Protein bars. i like cliff bars

Sent from my SM-S820L using the BariatricPal App

I found a lot of ideas on Pinterest. I also eat a lot of lentils, refried Beans, green apple slices w caramel(walmart snack packs). I make almond flour (very low carb) crackers and dip in avacado, hummus, or laughing cow cheese spreads. I melt a lil chunk of cheddar cheese, mix with milk simmer till Milky, stirring constantly. Take off heat, add half can of peas and a package of tuna fish.

Sent from my VS985 4G using the BariatricPal App

I'm a Southerner as well. Girl, the struggle is real. Most all of the food I love is a thing of the past. Grits, fried chicken and the love of my life, sweet tea. Sigh.

Anyway, one thing I've found that gives me a lil taste of home is a sawmill gravy packet (the one you just add Water to) and Jimmy Dean Turkey sausage crumble. I put a small amount of the sausage in a Pyrex custard cup and top with about a Tbsp of gravy. The powder mix is actually not bad for carbs plus you only need a small amount anyway.

Also, sweet tea with Truvia and all of the recipes at http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/p/links-resources.html?m=1

Shelly has AMAZING ideas for great food, plus check out the food and nutrition forum here at bariatric pal. I just tried the pumpkin pie cheesecake pudding. So yum!!!