Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Travel exactly one month post op

My surgery is scheduled for 3/6. My trip for Hawaii is scheduled 4/5. I'm wondering should I postpone my trip? We will only be there for 3 days but I'm concerned with being able to eat correctly and gaining weight.

I'm scheduled for surgery march 8th, I think if you pack the items you need or shop for them immediately when you arrive and plan you will do just great.

Looking for a support buddy sharing a similar date?

Sent from my SM-G925P using BariatricPal

My surgery is scheduled for 3/6. My trip for Hawaii is scheduled 4/5. I'm wondering should I postpone my trip? We will only be there for 3 days but I'm concerned with being able to eat correctly and gaining weight.

nikrny3816

I had my sleeve surgery 1/20/16 and I took a 3 day trip to Las Vegas on 2/11/16 (3 weeks post op). Now, I know everyone recovers differently but I was completely useless for the first 2.5weeks. I was worried about taking my trip but started to get some energy back a couple days before I left. I completely understand what you're going through. I apologize in advance, this may be lengthy, especially since it's fresh in my mind. I think the most difficult thing is going to be food.

At three weeks I was supposed to be on a puréed diet. That was incredibly difficult while traveling!!! I am having trouble with Protein shakes post op, no matter what I try I just can't stomach them. That would have been my go to, but I just couldn't do it. I ate mostly yogurt and eggs and those 1 oz packages of peanut or almond butter (I can't remember the brand. It's all natural, no sugars or anything). But, I also ate things that weren't puréed. I didn't have a choice in some places. There just aren't many options on a puréed diet. I did get sick once from eating 2 French fries. I just didn't want to spend so much money on an entire meal when I really shouldn't have been eating any of the foods they had to offer and would only be able to eat a couple bites anyway, and I figured French fries were soft so I just took a couple from someone else's plate. Not a good idea! No more fried things for me!! It didn't help that our hotel room didn't have a fridge or anything, so I couldn't buy yogurts or anything to keep in the room. I did, however, make sure I had a Water bottle on me at all times. I'm not sure what stage of the diet you will be on during your trip, but I would definitely consider what your options would be.

As far as rescheduling your trip, and I'm assuming that this is just for pleasure since you're wondering about postponing, I would do some research online or by phone. Look at where you will be staying and local restaurants and any outings you have planned. Most places offer menus online, try to find things that will work for your diet. Even call them and see if they will be accommodating. Also, look at who you will be traveling with. Do they know about your surgery and diet restrictions? Are they going to be supportive and understanding?

I think if you will be able to find foods that will fit your diet you will be fine. I had energy back by that point and besides having trouble with food, I had a phenomenal trip. Good luck with your surgery and have fun in Hawaii!

I had my sleeve surgery 1/20/16 and I took a 3 day trip to Las Vegas on 2/11/16 (3 weeks post op). Now, I know everyone recovers differently but I was completely useless for the first 2.5weeks. I was worried about taking my trip but started to get some energy back a couple days before I left. I completely understand what you're going through. I apologize in advance, this may be lengthy, especially since it's fresh in my mind. I think the most difficult thing is going to be food.

At three weeks I was supposed to be on a puréed diet. That was incredibly difficult while traveling!!! I am having trouble with Protein shakes post op, no matter what I try I just can't stomach them. That would have been my go to, but I just couldn't do it. I ate mostly yogurt and eggs and those 1 oz packages of peanut or almond butter (I can't remember the brand. It's all natural, no sugars or anything). But, I also ate things that weren't puréed. I didn't have a choice in some places. There just aren't many options on a puréed diet. I did get sick once from eating 2 French fries. I just didn't want to spend so much money on an entire meal when I really shouldn't have been eating any of the foods they had to offer and would only be able to eat a couple bites anyway, and I figured French fries were soft so I just took a couple from someone else's plate. Not a good idea! No more fried things for me!! It didn't help that our hotel room didn't have a fridge or anything, so I couldn't buy yogurts or anything to keep in the room. I did, however, make sure I had a Water bottle on me at all times. I'm not sure what stage of the diet you will be on during your trip, but I would definitely consider what your options would be.

As far as rescheduling your trip, and I'm assuming that this is just for pleasure since you're wondering about postponing, I would do some research online or by phone. Look at where you will be staying and local restaurants and any outings you have planned. Most places offer menus online, try to find things that will work for your diet. Even call them and see if they will be accommodating. Also, look at who you will be traveling with. Do they know about your surgery and diet restrictions? Are they going to be supportive and understanding?

I think if you will be able to find foods that will fit your diet you will be fine. I had energy back by that point and besides having trouble with food, I had a phenomenal trip. Good luck with your surgery and have fun in Hawaii!

Thanks for the information... As I was reading your post I called my BF and told him we are not rescheduling! The room we are staying in had a full kitchen so I will be able to keep

The yogurts on hand. I will definitely be checking the surrounding areas now that you mentioned the online menus! THANKS FOR THE GREAT ADVICE ????????????????????

Thanks for the information... As I was reading your post I called my BF and told him we are not rescheduling! The room we are staying in had a full kitchen so I will be able to keep

The yogurts on hand. I will definitely be checking the surrounding areas now that you mentioned the online menus! THANKS FOR THE GREAT ADVICE [emoji41][emoji41][emoji267][emoji267][emoji267]

You're welcome! Glad I could help. A full kitchen will be wonderful. You will do great [emoji846]

I think it's very doable. I love premier Protein ( Choc and vanilla) drinks from costco and would take enough for 2 a day. Olive Garden was kind enough to purée my minestrone Soup for me during my liquid stage. Enough for 2-3 meals. sugar free pudding and Jello. I bought from Amazon GENEPRO Powdered Protien. You can add it to Soups, drinks etc. Just take a small jar of it with you to up your Protein.

Just follow your Drs rules and don't get caught up in the food. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So.... I had the choice, go on a cruise with friends and or have surgery. I am SO GLAD I chose the cruise and then went back on my plan and had surgery. ( I'm 12 days out). I would not have been a happy camper having nothing as they delighted in all types of tastes. It was only a three week wait and I'm happy. I'm down 25 lbs in 12 days.

Sent from my 6045O using BariatricPal

What stage of diet will you be on at a month out? I was on mushy, so if you're the same, you should be ok. With the ability to refrigerate, you'll be golden. Eating out, you should be able to have Soups, flaky fish, etc.

I am glad you are going to go. I went to Mexico City on a business trip at just under 4 weeks out. It went fine, no one even knew I had the surgery. hahah. However, I will say I had no nausea almost from day one which made it easier I think. That is a hard one to judge before you actually have the surgery. The hotel had plenty of options (as should anywhere you go in Hawaii) for soft foods. I made sure I ate Breakfast (scrambled eggs, yogurt) and put a greek extra Protein yogurt in my room for later. There is always Soup options everywhere.

One thing to remember, on long flights you NEED to stay hydrated! Take extra Water with you and set a reminder to drink it. Hydrate all you can while you are there too. :)

Have a great trip. :)