Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery on 02/15 - How is everyone doing?

Surgery went great. Felt wonderful that first night. I even thought to myself, "Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones who have no problems at all!" Then morning hit. And the nausea.

I dry-heaved so much that I wound up pinching a nerve in my shoulder. Don't ask me how that's possible, but that's what happened. Then they had a problem with my drain--blood, blood everywhere--and the doctor decided I should stay an extra day. Tuesday was not pleasant, let me tell you.

Then woke up today and felt fine again. The night nurse figured out that I probably had a clot blocking the drain and when that passed, all the blood came. She sensibly reset the dressing (day staff just kept taping over it). She also suggested a hot pad for the shoulder, which worked a treat. So I'm home and fine and just sip-sip-sipping away.

How is everyone else doing this fine Wednesday?

So sorry to hear the second day was not a good one for you. Right after my surgery I was put on anti blood clotting medicine and have to take it for 30 days. I am surprised you didn't get any such meds. If I may ask what kind of surgery did you have that you needed a drain? Wow you dry heaved a lot to do that to your shoulder. Glad to hear the heating pad helped. I only had one episode of that. Glad to hear you are doing better and home. Get plenty of rest and let your body heal but don't forget to walk it will help with the gas. If your allowed get your Protein Soups and shakes in as ASAP. Once I get mine down 3 days after surgery I was feeling much better.

As for me since you asked. I am heading into my 4th week post op and am feeling great. I was given permission to start riding my bike again and will probably start tomorrow. I am finally done with the 1 egg a day phase and started with the next phase, cottage cheese re-fried Beans, turkey etc for the next 2 weeks. Everything I eat is staying down. However now that I have been given real food I am stalled with the weight loss. I am happy with the 20 pounds I have lost so far since surgery. I just need to embrace the stall, stay with the program and I know the weight will start to drop again.

Keep us posted as to how your doing.

So I am day 8 - Sleeved 2/17

I have had almost no issues at all. No issues with Protein, liquids, Soups (strained and blended).

I have lost 10# in the first week and dropping 1-2# per day!!

Very happy I did this!!

I had a revision from the band to the sleeve on 2/15. Not sure what my weight is now. I am going to try things different this time with the scale. I want to weigh monthly on the 15th. With the band, I weighed morning and night and it was hard on my self esteem when the scale didn't move or moved in the wrong direction. I'm going to put my focus on eating healthy and getting exercise in. Let's hope I can stick to this method.

Sent from my iPhone using BariatricPal

I intended to have a band to sleeve conversion on Feb 26 and woke up to my surgeon explaining that I had 2 hernias and thick scar tissue around the band. He fixed the hernias and cleaned up the scar tissue and I have to wait 3 months before I can have the sleeve done. This has been a hard recovery. I ended up getting hives due to the antibiotic they used during the procedure and I haven't been really able to go to the bathroom. I am now on prednisone trying to recover from the extreme hives and I'm praying I don't gain weight. I am strongly thinking about phentermine until then. I am not sure how I can go through this all over again but this time not being able to really eat or feel like drinking in recovery... I'm just nervous and extremely frustrated but grateful that the surgeon didn't proceed because I would have had a ton of complications possibly but now back to counting down the months/ days..

Oh, no, @@skinny06! It must be tough to have your body reacting to the medications on top of the knowledge that you need to wait even longer. But hang in there! It's been awhile since I had my hiatal repair, but I don't remember the pain lasting too long. Hopefully you'll be back on your feet in no time. On the bright side, this gives you a chance to lose even more pre-surgery if that's what you want. You'll soon be joining everyone on the Losers' Bench.

Oh, no, @@skinny06! It must be tough to have your body reacting to the medications on top of the knowledge that you need to wait even longer. But hang in there! It's been awhile since I had my hiatal repair, but I don't remember the pain lasting too long. Hopefully you'll be back on your feet in no time. On the bright side, this gives you a chance to lose even more pre-surgery if that's what you want. You'll soon be joining everyone on the Losers' Bench.

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I found that the lap band removal is actually a difficult healing process. I pray getting the sleeve is much less difficult and I bounce back quickly. It's been alittle over a week and I still don't feel 100%.

Hello, I had my sleeve on 2/1/16... Had a similar problem after going home the evening of day three.. Dry heaving for hours , I was readmitted for dehydration and reduce the swelling due to surgery and hernia repair. All went well, released two days after. My weight loss was great until week five. I am starting week seven and am at a plateau.. I noticed since increasing food intake it is slower...The scale did move down two pounds for a day but now back up . I read it is common and will eventually move along. Does anyone have a similar situation? I wish I knew how long before the scale moves again. Due to severe back issues, my exercise is also limited. Maybe I will go back to shakes..

Hello, I had my sleeve on 2/1/16... Had a similar problem after going home the evening of day three.. Dry heaving for hours , I was readmitted for dehydration and reduce the swelling due to surgery and hernia repair. All went well, released two days after. My weight loss was great until week five. I am starting week seven and am at a plateau.. I noticed since increasing food intake it is slower...The scale did move down two pounds for a day but now back up . I read it is common and will eventually move along. Does anyone have a similar situation? I wish I knew how long before the scale moves again. Due to severe back issues, my exercise is also limited. Maybe I will go back to shakes..

Sorry to hear you had dry heaves and had to be readmitted. I had a hernia repair, and a gallbladder removed in addition to the sleeve. My surgeon gave me a patch to put behind my ear the night before surgery and I was fine.

As for the scale not moving I too am experiencing that as well. I lost 19 pounds the first 10 days. Lost nothing for 2 weeks. I lost 8 pounds over the next 3 weeks and now I am at a 2 week stall again. Yes it slowed down once I got to eat food also. Even though all I ate was an egg a day during that third week I didn't lose a pound. Tuesday will be 8 weeks and total lost since surgery day is 27 which turns out to be an average of 3. 37 pounds a week. My exercise is riding a trike 5 out of 7 days due to my disability. How many grams of Protein are you eating in food a day? If your not getting 60 to 80 grams of Protein then a shake a day would be good. I still have 1 protein hot chocolate in the morning and it helps to get me to the 60 grams of protein. Keep going strong. I hear things will pick up once we are truly healed as we both are still healing.