Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have gastric balloon removed prior to 6 months?

I gotta say -- these balloons don't sound so great.

Has anyone here tolerated their balloon well while they were also losing weight?

@@VSGAnn2014 I am into my fourth week. Had my balloon inserted on the 1st Feb and was only sick the first two days. I am eating fairly normally ... side plates are my limit for size. But stick to the rules I was given and don't eat fresh spaghetti or lettuce as they stick to the balloon. I eat every two hours which is usually Breakfast of one weetabix Water until mid morning when I will have a yoghurt water until lunch which is usually either Soup or jacket potato with tuna mayo (no potato skin as it doesn't digest well) more water until around 3 when I will have fruit or another yoghurt but maybe even a chocolate bikkie for a treat then tea will be anything I cook such as chicken, fishcakes, etc. I treated myself on Wed foe the first time with a fish shop fishcake but instead of chips had mushy peas. Was beautiful. First week lost 11lbs as I was on fluids, second week 4lbs, third week 1lb and this week 3lbs. I am happy and would try and encourage anyone to have one. ????

I see my doctor today at 2 months having the balloon. I am not sure if I am going to have it removed yet I am leaning towards it. I have a hiatal hernia that I believe is keeping food in my stomach long after my stomach should have emptied. I did talk to the office 9 days ago and they suggested I chew my food more. After 2 days I called them back and they prescribed a 7 day med for me. I have been taking the med and I was feeling somewhat better to start but not so much better now.

I think I need to eat earlier in the evening too because when I go to bed my stomach starts to throb or contract and then I end up having food come up into my mouth. Yuck !! I spit it out of course but this feeling is very distressing. I am thinking I need to get the balloon removed, have the hernia repaired and then try it again in 4 or 5 months. I'll see what my doctor says. .

@@dedegold - wow, that's terrible ... I'm so sorry to hear that. I have a mild hiatal hernia, but I have not had those issues (maybe because it's only mild?). I think chewing A LOT does make a difference, as does eating well before bedtime. Do you do drink Water ~ 30 minutes before and after eating? If not, maybe that would help flush food through? Regardless, I wish you the best of luck, whether you decide to keep the balloon or not.

I see my doctor today at 2 months having the balloon. I am not sure if I am going to have it removed yet I am leaning towards it. I have a hiatal hernia that I believe is keeping food in my stomach long after my stomach should have emptied. I did talk to the office 9 days ago and they suggested I chew my food more. After 2 days I called them back and they prescribed a 7 day med for me. I have been taking the med and I was feeling somewhat better to start but not so much better now.

I think I need to eat earlier in the evening too because when I go to bed my stomach starts to throb or contract and then I end up having food come up into my mouth. Yuck !! I spit it out of course but this feeling is very distressing. I am thinking I need to get the balloon removed, have the hernia repaired and then try it again in 4 or 5 months. I'll see what my doctor says. .

I have had similar issues off and on. My Dr put me on reglan to help contract my stomach. It does help, but my stomach still empties slowly. Before you go to sleep, lay on your sides (alternate) for 30-60 minutes before you lay on your back. It might help. I can feel mine empty more when I do that. Sometimes I wake up and can tell I still have food in there freon the day before.

Let me know what your Dr says

I'm having my Ballon removed 2 weeks early this Wednesday! The dr. Office said I should be on Clear Liquids for 2 days. When I had it put in I only had to fast for 12 hours and I can see maybe one day of liquids but why clear liquids? Anyone else getting theirs out soon or has it out? What was your pre-op?

May is going to be a very busy month with traveling for work and vacation so I choose to take it out 2 weeks early and frankly I'm just tired of not feeling like myself! The weight loss has been great (47 lbs) but the sickness had been miserable for me!

Edited by monniet50

May is going to be a very busy month with traveling for work and vacation so I choose to take it out 2 weeks early and frankly I'm just tired of not feeling like myself! The weight loss has been great (47 lbs) but the sickness had been miserable for me!

Congratulations on your weight loss! I'm sorry you have not been feeling well, but hopefully you will be back to yourself soon, and with a new lease on life! :-)

Congratulation @@monniet50! You made it through and with such tremendous outcome!! You should feel so excited!!

I have another 2 months to go and its been challenging. This process is certainly not for the weak of stomach! lol. I too have not felt myself, and it took every every ounce of strength I had to fight through calling my doctor and having it removed. But the weight has come off and like @@Wayward Traveler said, I have a new lease on life and feel younger, thinner and happier.

I was told that I would be on a very strict liquid fast the two days prior to having it removed because they want to make sure the balloon is 100% free of any food debris as it could possibly get breathed into your lungs as they remove the deflated balloon from your throat. Sounds a bit scary, and definitely gross. So, I certainly plan on following those orders...and maybe I'll get another pound or two off in the process!

Good luck and please report back how the removal went. And congrats again, you should be so proud!

I had the ballon removed yesterday 2 weeks early! I'm so happy that the bloating is gone and I feel normal again!!! I did the Clear Liquids mostly but I had a Protein Shake on the morning before take out! My throat is so sore that I don't want to swallow anything and mucus stuck in my throat! Other than that I feel good and I lost 50 lbs!!!

Why do you think your throat is sore? I few times, I had some acid back up during the night and woke with a brutal sore throat. Do you think its acid or just the procedure? I am a little nervous about taking it out, more so than having it put in!

Definatly from the procedure! Never had this pain before. I barely ate a piece of toast yesterday and a cup of tea!

I'm scheduled to get mine out at the end of May and I'm getting excited, but hearing about your throat makes me scared.

I haven't lost much but only had 30 lbs to lose to begin with. I'm down 15 lbs and have maintained that weightloss for about 3 months now. I'm going to work hard and try to lose a few more this month before it comes out.