Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this normal?

Hi everyone! I'm new here! I had a lap band done about 5 years ago. At first everything was great! The band was working, and I never had any problems with it! I occasionally got stuck, but I was always able to move the blockage by walking and or drinking something.

Anyways, about 3 years ago I woke up very ill. I was vomiting pretty badly. Turns out my gallbladder had to go. I had the necessary surgical procedure and it was removed. Ever since then it has been terrible.

Since then I've had random stomach aches, acid reflux, and nausea. Through patience, ginger tea, tums, and crackers I was able to deal with it. Then everything got bad. The reflux was bad. I couldn't eat anything except snicker bars. (I know that's insane, but it's true!) I went to a gastroenterologist, and she prescribed me dexilant. I was skeptical, but desperate and it was like a miracle. My stomach aches, nausea and reflux were totally gone! I could eat anything I wanted. This blissful time went on for about 2 years.

Fast forward to about a month ago and things go bad again. I was regularly taking my dexilant but I was getting terrible reflux. I couldn't even digest BROTH! chicken BROTH!!! So I got fed up and went to my bariatric doctor. He said it was time for the band to go and I was not alone. I felt so much better hearing that from him! He said my symptoms would almost immediately go away! I was so ready to get this thing out of me!!!

So I had my band removed about a week ago. February 9, 2015 to be exact. The doctor said my body reacted negatively to having a foreign object in it and my stomach somehow made it like I had two lap bands?

I have been trying my hardest to take it easy but the reflux is nowhere near gone! It's the same as before the surgery. I called the nurse and she said to take the dexilant until my tummy heals and then wean myself off of it. I am devastated. I was hoping to see at least a little relief, but that hasn't happened yet. So I sit here praying that my dexilant kicks in soon so maybe I can get some relief and eat maybe some applesauce. I haven't had solid food in a month and it's starting to take a toll on my emotional health.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Is this normal? Will I have acid reflux for the rest of my life? Will I have to take dexilant for the rest of my days?

I'm only 23, and I look forward to having children in the next couple years, but currently there is no way that can happen in my current condition. I'm scared, hungry, nauseas and depressed.

You have to assume that since no one has responded your situation isn't normal? A gastroenterologist should be of some help. A bariatric surgeon with many band placements under his/her belt might have some experience? But, the gastroenterologist would have more exposure to reflux, much more exposure and experience?

tmf

I will try that route but everyone in my family is worried, and I just cannot eat.

My daughter has Crohns disease and it took a frickin year before doctors took her seriously. Even now that she's been diagnosed it seems like the docs just brush her off as a hypochondriac. She really has to fight to be taken seriously. Make your wishes and beliefs known and don't let these docs push you around. jmo

Wow! I will do that! Thank you so much for the support. Any advice?

I've never had reflux so I'm in the dark with your health issues. Try searching on this site for reflux. I'd start with the search engine and search in the topics area. They don't have to be banded I'd think? Find some recent threads and maybe some folks who recently posted. Many people stop following this site when their lives improve?

Search reflux at top of page in "this topic"

Oops, search reflux in "forums".

Thanks! Will do!!

Hi everyone! I'm new here! I had a lap band done about 5 years ago. At first everything was great! The band was working, and I never had any problems with it! I occasionally got stuck, but I was always able to move the blockage by walking and or drinking something.

Anyways, about 3 years ago I woke up very ill. I was vomiting pretty badly. Turns out my gallbladder had to go. I had the necessary surgical procedure and it was removed. Ever since then it has been terrible.

Since then I've had random stomach aches, acid reflux, and nausea. Through patience, ginger tea, tums, and crackers I was able to deal with it. Then everything got bad. The reflux was bad. I couldn't eat anything except snicker bars. (I know that's insane, but it's true!) I went to a gastroenterologist, and she prescribed me dexilant. I was skeptical, but desperate and it was like a miracle. My stomach aches, nausea and reflux were totally gone! I could eat anything I wanted. This blissful time went on for about 2 years.

Fast forward to about a month ago and things go bad again. I was regularly taking my dexilant but I was getting terrible reflux. I couldn't even digest BROTH! chicken BROTH!!! So I got fed up and went to my bariatric doctor. He said it was time for the band to go and I was not alone. I felt so much better hearing that from him! He said my symptoms would almost immediately go away! I was so ready to get this thing out of me!!!

So I had my band removed about a week ago. February 9, 2015 to be exact. The doctor said my body reacted negatively to having a foreign object in it and my stomach somehow made it like I had two lap bands?

I have been trying my hardest to take it easy but the reflux is nowhere near gone! It's the same as before the surgery. I called the nurse and she said to take the dexilant until my tummy heals and then wean myself off of it. I am devastated. I was hoping to see at least a little relief, but that hasn't happened yet. So I sit here praying that my dexilant kicks in soon so maybe I can get some relief and eat maybe some applesauce. I haven't had solid food in a month and it's starting to take a toll on my emotional health.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Is this normal? Will I have acid reflux for the rest of my life? Will I have to take dexilant for the rest of my days?

I'm only 23, and I look forward to having children in the next couple years, but currently there is no way that can happen in my current condition. I'm scared, hungry, nauseas and depressed.

I AM SUFFERING WITH ACID REFLUX... I recently had a baby and thought it was just a pregnancy thing. Well...no...water is even giving me trouble...once I am done nursing I will be going to the doc...I feel your pain

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

@detrmined2014 yeah. It's the worst! I hope you get some relief! How long until you stop nursing?

@detrmined2014 yeah. It's the worst! I hope you get some relief! How long until you stop nursing?

My nursing journey has come to an end..now I have to find a gastro doc and make an appt...how r u feeling? Any updates?

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

Not really. I'm on some nasty meds for acid reflux, but they aren't helping. I'm working with my gastroenterologist and we are trying to find the problem. My testing starts tomorrow with an endoscopy. I hope the problem is resolved quickly because it's been about three months since I've had food and I'm going crazy. My hair is falling out, and I feel weak all the time.

Edited by UnderDaSea

@@UnderDaSea Hi ladies, I am just reading this post. I'm sorry that you are having so many issues post band removal and I really hope that you continue to push the Dr.'s to find out what's going on to cause all this reflux. I would think that by now your stomach and esophagus would have healed from the band removal surgery though there could be some remaining scar tissue and this could be causing some issues for you.

All of the doctors you have seen and the first step should have been to do an upper GI or an endoscopy so they can see what's going on in there. You really need to make sure that you are taking care of yourself. Not eating and having issues such as pain and burning when eating foods is not acceptable and it is certainly not normal.

I have several digestive issues, including crohn's and while yes there are some days that are very uncomfortable, and sometimes even a bit painful during a flair up I monitor my intake of food and closely watch and treat any symptoms that arise.

You need to find doctors that are going to work with you and care about your health as much as you do, but it has to start with you. You have to care about yourself and your health. Put yourself as number 1 and let the Dr's know you need help and that giving you medication and saying try this and sending you on your way is not good enough. You need to understand why this is happening and how you can make changes to make things better for yourself.

I wish you all the best of luck! Get to the bottom of it and feel better.

@@lisacaron Thank you. My surgeon did an upper GI and they said that it looked fine. They basically told me that there was nothing else they could do for me. So now I'm seeing a gastroenterologist that a friend recommended and they will be doing an endoscopy on me tomorrow. I really hope they find out what's going on, too. The medicine is not really working, and I'm getting frustrated! I can't take pills, so I have to take lansoprazole in a liquid suspension, and it is NASTY! It literally makes me gag when I take it. I have to fight to keep it down! I will update as soon as I get results from the endoscopy! Thanks for your encouragement. At the time I'm only able to have Water, broth, flat ginger ale, tea and Popsicles.