Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all March bypass surgery dates!

Had RNY March 15th been home 2 days...I have horrible head hunger. I think I want everything. My biggest concern is i wasn't paying attention and really had more Protein Shake than I was told I could handle (5 oz)...the issue us I had NO issues. This scares me. As far as pain it varies but walking seems to be my best friend and works better than the pain meds. Any advice would be awesome

I'm 5'2

HW 239 SW 225 CW 218

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the BariatricPal App

I also had RNY on the 15th! Was released on the 16th and though foggy and sleepy, felt MUCH better than day 1! I was also not prepared for the pain! Now, having been home 2 days, I'm already feeling like my old self! I have enough energy to run errands, and have been walking around a lot! But I'm definitely slow and get the gas pains, but now the incision sites don't hurt as much! I had a lot of extra pain, I'm told, because I had a hernia that needed repair, my doctor "shaved" (I think that's the term?) my liver for fat, and I had some bleeding in the spleen, so really it was more my liver and/or spleen that was hurting the most. But now I'm up and going and it's much better!

I agree with Linda about the head hunger... Though I wouldn't say it's hunger, because physically I can't imagine eating anything right now, but I made my family dinner tonight and OH my god it smelled infinitely better than my Protein shakes!! can't wait until puréed phase!

[emoji4]

Less then 24 hours and counting, good luck to everyone tomorrow,

I also had RNY on the 15th! Was released on the 16th and though foggy and sleepy, felt MUCH better than day 1! I was also not prepared for the pain! Now, having been home 2 days, I'm already feeling like my old self! I have enough energy to run errands, and have been walking around a lot! But I'm definitely slow and get the gas pains, but now the incision sites don't hurt as much! I had a lot of extra pain, I'm told, because I had a hernia that needed repair, my doctor "shaved" (I think that's the term?) my liver for fat, and I had some bleeding in the spleen, so really it was more my liver and/or spleen that was hurting the most. But now I'm up and going and it's much better!

I agree with Linda about the head hunger... Though I wouldn't say it's hunger, because physically I can't imagine eating anything right now, but I made my family dinner tonight and OH my god it smelled infinitely better than my Protein shakes!! can't wait until puréed phase!

Happy to report I'm 6 days post op and the gas pains are gone thank god! I have to work all day to get my fluids in and I think today will be the first day I meet my Protein goal! Everything initially, even Water was sitting like a brick but it's getting better and better every day.

I'm right there with you with the head hunger. I know I'm not hungry but last night my husband made himself BLTs for dinner and I wanted to strangle him! He agreed to not make bacon again until I'm back in solid food!

You went through a lot in your surgery and seem like a very strong person to have such a positive attitude. Congrats!

Ok guys. Was supposed to have surgery on 3-3 but dr postponed it because I had a trip to take a week later and he didn't want me to travel. Now my surgery is in two days. I woke this morning like a train wreck. Spent hours sobbing off and on for no apparent reason. Like I was pregnant or something. ( I am not preggo! Too old -50- and fixed! Lol). I think it's just nerves

Here is the other issue- I was required to do a 3 week liquid diet prior to surgery. I got to two weeks before he rescheduled me. I was able to stop it but told to do another 2 weeks before THIS surgery date. Well- I only got back a week ago from my trip and I've only done one week of liquids. I will tell him tomorrow for my presurgical visit, and now I'm freaking that he will postpone me again!!!!

Edited by LisaMergs

You'll be fine! I only had to do one day of Clear Liquids the day before but ate as normal right up until then (a high Protein low fat diet). Its normal to be nervous, it's surgery and it's extreme, but you did your research and went through this process for a reason.

I had my RNY exactly one week ago. To be honest the first few days stink but I promise it will get better.

Good luck on Wednesday!

I hear that the gas pains are the worst part. I look at it this way- I've had three kids. One vaginal, one an emergency c -section and the third a scheduled C. I was cut from stem to stern- up and down- not the cute bikini incision because they needed to get the emergency one out FAST.

Not only did I survive the sections - I actually PREFERRED them to the feeling of passing a watermelon!!! lol. Having rheumatoid arthritis I'm always in some state of pain. I suppose it is the fear of the unknown in play. I could likely get my doctor to keep me in an extra day or two but my 16 year old is going to France Friday with her French club and I want to see her off- even if they have to wheel me to the tsa checkpoint.

I don't understand why some docs do the liquid pre op and others don't. It makes no sense to me. My docs are part of the Centers of Excellence at my hospital. My friend sees a doc at a different hospital- also a center for excellence. So both docs are well- respected, part of two huge universities ( University of Chicago and Northwestern University hospitals) yet they have completely different approaches. BMI, weight, medical history we are mirror images. I just don't get it. I'm almost considering not saying anything but that would be dishonest.

I had my RNY exactly one week ago. To be honest the first few days stink but I promise it will get better.

Good luck on Wednesday!

And thank you. What was the "stink" part for you? Are you up and moving well now? Driving? I'm not a big pain pill person so if that is the only holdback I should be able to drive relatively soon post surgery?

Good luck on Wednesday!

And thank you. What was the "stink" part for you? Are you up and moving well now? Driving? I'm not a big pain pill person so if that is the only holdback I should be able to drive relatively soon post surgery?
Hi Lisa

The gas pains were the worst part, also getting up and down really hurt. I'm up and about now and can drive, even went shopping yesterday, just need to take it slower than normal. I stopped the pain pills 4 days ago and now I would say I'm just a little sore around one of my incisions that makes it a little difficult to get up off the couch or out of bed.

I have not had children and this is my first abdominal surgery. The people I know who have had both say bypass is easy compared to a c section!

Colleen

SugarCali, Wow we do have a lot in common. We even live close to each other....im in socal to and la jollas just 20 minutes from my house! Im 50 and my son is 10.....well ill be 51 soon and hell be 11 soon. Are you ready for your surgery?

Drinking my last bit of Water soon, I'll try to tell you all how it went tomorrow night.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

I'm next, see you all on the sunny side.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App