Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Overwhelmed on what to stick my cabinets with

I am on my home stretch to get ready for surgery. It's getting overwhelming on what to stock up on. The more read the worse it is lol! I got so excited about vitamin patches, then my NUT said they don't absorb well through fat... So I finally got some Celebrate Vitamins. But what to stock up the cabinets with so I don't have to worry for the first few weeks. I'm wondering what was in your cupboard for food and what you actually ended up using the first few weeks?? Certain broths does it matter what kind? Since everything is sweet what all alternatives are there? Thanks in advance..

The first few weeks I lived on Premier Protein, ProtiDiet liquid beverage concentrates, ProtiDiet Tomato basil and creamy chicken Soups, Syntrax nectar (fuzzy navel is my favorite), GNC Lean 25 orange cream, V8, sugar free Popsicles, and sugar free Jello.

I added Danon Light & Fit Greek yogurt, cottage cheese. Refried Beans, no sugar added diced peaches, and no sugar added applesauce for the transition from full liquids to soft foods.

Just keep in mind that you won't be able to consume a large volume. Getting in all of your Protein and fluids will be your priority.

@@LisaOle @@Inner Surfer Girl

Inner Surfer Girl has a great list. You really won't be able to eat much. I do remember just wanting something with flavor and heating up some chicken broth really helped me through!

You will be having a lot of Protein shakes so make sure you have a few flavors and test them out ahead of time to find the ones that taste good to you. I also discovered Isopure Protein drinks. They are an acquired taste but it didn't take long and now I love them.

Best of luck!

I had ready made shakes because they were just easier for me when I was only sipping a couple oz at a time. I ate watered down cream of Soups (low fat). I also had beef and chicken bullion cubes that I used to make broth with. I used unflavored Protein in the broth and Soup to add protein. This was a real staple for me during pre op and the first two weeks post op. It was nice to have something that wasn't sweet.

SF Popsicles were a hit with me early post op.

Good luck!

During soft stage cottage cheese was my go to food. I also ate devil eggs, and canned deviled ham.

Thanks for the responses , so far I have vanilla muscle milk powder, powder Peanut Butter, chocolate pre made premier drinks. Gave away my full size coffee pot and bought a keurig single serve maker. So I won't be drinking a pot of coffee only a cup. I do have some chicken and beef broth. Bought ice cube trays of different sizes lol so I can freeze the broth and grab what I need. I read that one somewhere and liked the idea. Guess maybe a couple more flavors , Jello and sugar free pop cycles and I should be good. I'm just overly excited I think , like I'll forget something important.

Edited by LisaOle

I have also been having some anxiety over what to stock. So far I have chicken/beef broth, sugar free Jello, and a couple flavors of Protein Powder. V8 is a favorite of mine, so will be stocking this too. The idea of unflavored Protein powder is great- hadn't thought about this. I really appreciate all of the great tips/advice people post.

I would say don't stock up on anything. I still have broth and those nasty New whey Protein shots on the shelf.

I got a lot of stuff because I live alone and I thought I would be out of commission for a while but I went shopping on the 3rd day after surgery.

You don't know what you will like or what your sleeve will like, don't get too much.

If you are fortunate enough to live near a Sonic, get a bag (or a few cups) of Sonic ice.

What's up with sonic ice? You got me curious lol I have one about 25 min away but never go.

If you are fortunate enough to live near a Sonic, get a bag (or a few cups) of Sonic ice.

What's up with sonic ice? You got me curious lol I have one about 25 min away but never go.

It's my favorite crushed ice. It is crushed really fine.

When I was newly sleeved, Sonic crushed ice plain or with ProtiDiet liquid beverage concentrate helped me stay hydrated.

Now, I like to add it to my Water bottle with Water Enhancer.

I would say don't stock up on anything. I still have broth and those nasty New whey Protein shots on the shelf.

I got a lot of stuff because I live alone and I thought I would be out of commission for a while but I went shopping on the 3rd day after surgery.

You don't know what you will like or what your sleeve will like, don't get too much.

I agree with this. For every phase of my immediate post-op plan I would get one or two of everything that my surgeon listed I could have, but I ended up with lots of excess food/protein drinks. You're not going to be eating much as you heal, and most of what you do eat you'll have to test to make sure you can handle it. I was also lucky enough to be pretty much fine to do whatever I needed to do a couple of days after my surgery such as shopping.

i have actual shopping lists from my nut so i will be consulting those for food and stuff but what did you guys buy as far as like containers and plates and bowls and what not

I did find some smaller containers....Rubbermaid little 0.5 cup cups with lids, freezer,microwave and dishwasher safe. And I found snap ware by Pyrex these are glass and hold one cup worth with snap on lids. At Walmart I found two different sized ice cube trays to freeze broth and stuff they have silicone bottom so they are easy to pop out.

@@LisaOle, don't get to tied up and overwhelmed with this part because honestly, what you can eat is so very limited that I personally got sick of things very fast so you don't want large quantities of anything. As for Protein, I would not stock up on that either because so many of them are just plain disgusting, it's truly a game to find on your like. If you can find samples or single servings that would be your best bet. I probably tried 6-8 before I settled on one from GNC.

I started with carnation simply because that is what I was served in the hospital, but it's kind of high in sugar. Once I used up the first box I started experimenting. I would also recommend powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken broth. I did not try any other brand because I tried this one first and it was amazing, so I didn't want to mess with a good thing. One other thing that I will mention is after a couple weeks of experimenting with Protein is I developed terrible gas. After doing some research online I discovered that there is a certain kind of protein (I think it was whey, but I'm not 100% sure) that does not mix well with skim milk, so I switched to FairLife milk and LOVE IT! My belly loves it and it has 13 grams of protein per cup. Best of luck to you!