Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is scheduled for March 8 2016. I'm nervous, excited and scared. I'm trying now to get all my stuff in order....

I work at General Motors assembly plant and do a lot of heavy lifting, pulling, tugging and walking. I work 6 days a week on 3rd shift. Some my sleep pattern SUCKS. I only average 4 hours of sleep a day. I'm just wondering how much time I should take post op. I would appreciate any feedback and I would love to hear how long others took off post op.

Tia, Roxiijess314

I took two weeks off and probably could have returned to work in a week, but I also had a desk job to come back to. I can't imagine doing a physical job that soon after.

And one of my biggest issues wasn't pain, it was exhaustion. At two weeks out, I was still on a liquid diet and barely getting 300 calories a day in. I was dragging myself around to get water/food and go to the bathroom and make a feeble attempt to walk every few hours (to prevent blood clots), but otherwise I slept most of that time. But the time I got to work, I was really glad I could sit most of the day as I just had no energy at all.

And I was lucky enough to experience zero pain; others on here have had pain for weeks after. If you're in pain and exhausted for weeks, you'll have a real issue trying to go back to work too soon, doing what you do.

I'd recommend speaking to your doctor to discuss when he would want to clear you to work due to the nature of your job - and make sure to tell them how much lifting/walking/moving you do. I honestly wonder if they'll expect you to not be doing any lifting/strenuous activity for at minimum 2 weeks, but it might be longer, and you need to find out ASAP so you can get something figured out. Your job may have the ability to put you on an alternate workload that is lighter for a few weeks to ensure you don't hurt yourself while you are healing if you have a medically necessary reason.

I took two weeks off and probably could have returned to work in a week, but I also had a desk job to come back to. I can't imagine doing a physical job that soon after.

And one of my biggest issues wasn't pain, it was exhaustion. At two weeks out, I was still on a liquid diet and barely getting 300 calories a day in. I was dragging myself around to get water/food and go to the bathroom and make a feeble attempt to walk every few hours (to prevent blood clots), but otherwise I slept most of that time. But the time I got to work, I was really glad I could sit most of the day as I just had no energy at all.

And I was lucky enough to experience zero pain; others on here have had pain for weeks after. If you're in pain and exhausted for weeks, you'll have a real issue trying to go back to work too soon, doing what you do.

I'd recommend speaking to your doctor to discuss when he would want to clear you to work due to the nature of your job - and make sure to tell them how much lifting/walking/moving you do. I honestly wonder if they'll expect you to not be doing any lifting/strenuous activity for at minimum 2 weeks, but it might be longer, and you need to find out ASAP so you can get something figured out. Your job may have the ability to put you on an alternate workload that is lighter for a few weeks to ensure you don't hurt yourself while you are healing if you have a medically necessary reason.

Thanks, this is one thing that has me really worried!

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I took 3 weeks and I was glad I did. I run a busy lab and I am on my feet a lot. I`m glad I took the extra time to get my strength back.

I took 2 weeks off for a desk job. I could have gone back after 1. But I had a weight lifting limit of 10 pounds for the first 2 weeks, then it went up 5 pounds a week for the next couple of weeks. I had a hernia repair so I don't know if the limit was necessary for that or the WLS or both.

Ask your surgeon what weight limits restrictions you will have after your surgery. If you have not had the testing for hiatal hernia ask if he needs to do hernia repair what the limits will be. FYI a really high percentage of obese people have hernia and it is common for the surgeon to repair it while he is in there.

Yeah I was restricted from doing any serious workout for the first 6 to 8 weeks post surgery. So lifting anything over 5lb was strictly prohibited. You may want to discuss this with the surgeon and your union reps to find you another job to do while you recover from surgery. I would honestly take no less than two weeks off post surgery, just to make sure you have adjusted to the surgery and you don't experience any post surgery issues. A lot of the issue most people have experienced have happened within those first few weeks post surgery.

Fatigue will be your main issue. Well, that and lifting restrictions. You should talk to your surgeon's office ASAP about your lifting restriction. I don't remember what mine was, but I remember I had one!

The fatigue I DO remember well. I went back to a simple desk job at 15 days post-op and I was so exhausted by the end of each day that I went straight to bed when I got home for the first week or two. I can't imagine a job requiring any amount of physical activity. I would think you would need at LEAST four weeks, maybe even six.

I had about 11 days off but I have a desk job. I think you would need at a few weeks and there are lifting restrictions so you should discuss this with your surgeon.

@roxiijess314 I only took a week off....not enough time at all and I am reception do sit half the day. Please take at least 2 weeks off both for physical healing but also MENTAL :-)

Haven't had my WLS surgery yet but you need to remember that just because there are only 5 small incisions on the outside, there is a major incision on the inside that needs to heal properly before you can perform heavy lifting, twisting, bending over, etc. You don't want to go back too soon and cause issues that may cause you to have to take off more time in the future. Does your employer cover you for Short Term Disability? Surgery of this magnitude should be covered.

I'm a firefighter so lifting pulling and all that is a big part of my job. I took 6 weeks off, I was on lifting restrictions for that long.

I was off 4 weeks and I'm so glad I was. The first 2 weeks were painful and I was so exhausted! I was lucky my work has short term disability. I can't believe people return after a week! I know everyone is different however.

Thanks everyone I have been thinking 4-6 weeks just because of the type of work I do. Then I was seeing most only take a week or two and I was just second guessing my thoughts

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

First of all Congratulations!!!! I am having my surgery on the 4th of March. I am scared and excited as well... I was told by my surgeon's office that it could be as few as 2 weeks or 6 weeks it will depend on me.. I do have a desk job, and can also get my walking in walking to the bathroom because it is far away...

Since your job is a bit more physical than mine... I would defiantly lean towards 4 weeks if you can... like some of the other post have pointed out, not only is there the possibility of dealing with pain, but there is also the fatigue and the mental part that comes alone with it...