Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexico or Local. I initially decided to go with a doctor in Mexico because my policy with UHC does not cover bariatric surgery. I found out a few days ago that I have severe sleep apnea. Do you think it would be worth trying again with the doctors here in Dallas or do you think its “ok” to just go to Mexico? Basically…what would you do?

Edited by ANewMe16

I went to Mexico and had a great experience. I've actually been to Mexico for two different surgeries and both times I received excellent care. If money is tight and time isn't of the essence, then you could try to go through your insurance again now that you have been diagnosed with a comorbidity. If you have the money and would prefer to not have to wait to jump through all the hoops with your insurance, then Mexico is a good option. Just make sure you do your research and choose a surgeon you are comfortable and confident with.

i had my surgery in Mexico. I had no major problems except that I was very sick from the anesthesia for two days. Having been there, done that, I would very strongly recommend a US hospital if it is an option. If there is an emergency, that is where you want to be. If you do decide to go to Mexico, I would at least suggest going to a real hospital, like Angeles Hospital, not a clinic (like I did).

Ahh the US over Mexico...

I would double check into your policy. I have UHC and my surgery was covered. It may be that if you are not cover a certain BMI you need a co-morbidity (sleep apnea, high blood pressure) to qualify for the surgery (at least thats what it was for my insurance policy)

Some employers have riders on the insurance that do not cover bariactric surgery, I would suggest you call the insurance company and find out.

Edited by Christine99

would go to Mexico if paying out of pocket, or maybe Blossom Bariatrics in Vegas. If I was cash pay, I wouldn't have surgery in the US because they add on all kinds of extra costs, or it is too easy for there to be extra hidden costs over what they quote you.

Paying out of pocket has the advantage that you can have surgery soon rather than later. Waiting only get you older and sick in the 6 months or whatever of insurance red tape. Plus with a lot of the deductible and out of pocket costs. Surgery in the US with insurance costs almost as much if not the same as just self paying outside the US.

I went to Mexico and don't regret a second of it. Do your research and ask questions before making a final decision.

Ahh the US over Mexico...

I would double check into your policy. I have UHC and my surgery was covered. It may be that if you are not cover a certain BMI you need a co-morbidity (sleep apnea, high blood pressure) to qualify for the surgery (at least thats what it was for my insurance policy)

Some employers have riders on the insurance that do not cover bariactric surgery, I would suggest you call the insurance company and find out.

I just found out that my employer has excluded the surgery overall. That is why it was denied. Do you know what type of UHC policy you have? I am considering purchasing a separate policy specifically to cover the costs so that I can have it here in the states.

would go to Mexico if paying out of pocket, or maybe Blossom Bariatrics in Vegas. If I was cash pay, I wouldn't have surgery in the US because they add on all kinds of extra costs, or it is too easy for there to be extra hidden costs over what they quote you.

Paying out of pocket has the advantage that you can have surgery soon rather than later. Waiting only get you older and sick in the 6 months or whatever of insurance red tape. Plus with a lot of the deductible and out of pocket costs. Surgery in the US with insurance costs almost as much if not the same as just self paying outside the US.

yes but i figure i wont have a problem finding a doctor here in the Dallas to help me after. I've called around and no one will be willing to help me once I return from Mexico.

Open enrollment on the healthcare exchange is closed. Also since you have insurance through your employer I am not sure you can buy a plan, if you can you won't get a supplement. All the premiums you would pay will end up being the same cost as paying for surgery out of pocket.

Post-op unless you have a complication, you can just follow up with your primary care doctor. Mainly you just need your blood work monitored long term. You don't have to see a bariatric surgeon forever.

yes but i figure i wont have a problem finding a doctor here in the Dallas to help me after. I've called around and no one will be willing to help me once I return from Mexico.

Help you how? What help would you need once you return from Mexico? My PCP handled all of my post-op blood work. Had I had some sort of late-onset leak or abscess or something, I would have had to go to the ER for that. Even in the states, if you have a complication that is a medical emergency, it won't be your bariatric surgeon handling it.

As for nutrition and answering all of my post-op questions and whatnot, I remained in constant contact with my surgeon's office and his on-staff nutritionist in my early weeks/months post-op.

Are you in North Dallas, Texas? If so, who is your PCP? I can't find one who will support my choice to go to Mexico. My insurance broker is able to provide me with additional insurance because I meed the qualifications to add after enrollment. I can purchase and maintain 2 policies.

Open enrollment on the healthcare exchange is closed. Also since you have insurance through your employer I am not sure you can buy a plan, if you can you won't get a supplement. All the premiums you would pay will end up being the same cost as paying for surgery out of pocket.

I'm basically unsure what I want to do because: 1. I want to ensure I have proper follow up care, 2. I want to be able to call upon a local doctor in case of emergency, and 3. Cost. (cost being the last of my concern)

I'm wondering if anyone has gone to Mexico but wishes they stayed in the US or vice versa.

Edited by ANewMe16

Are you in North Dallas, Texas? If so, who is your PCP?

I'm wondering if anyone has gone to Mexico but wishes they stayed in the US or vice versa.

I'm sorry, no, I'm not in the Dallas area. Do you currently have a PCP. Has he/she already stated that they won't provide you with any follow up blood work? That seems like a rather harsh approach for a PCP to take with their patients! It really is a minimal amount of work on their part. I had follow-up blood work with my PCP at 1 month, 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 12 months and now I have my 18 month appointment on Feb. 29.

I definitely have zero regrets about my surgeries in Mexico, but I do think having a supportive PCP has helped with that. Not sure how I would have felt about it without my PCP's support.

My primary was totally supportive of me having surgery.

Do the math on paying 2 insurance policies and meeting out of pocket expenses. Add it up and compare it to paying for surgery. If you have surgery and pay out of pocket in the US are doctors still refusing to see you? That doesn't even make sense. Blossom Bariatrics in Vegas has a good program at a good cost.

http://blossombariatrics.com/

Also there is a whole forum here dedicated to surgery in Mexico. You might get better answers there.

Are you in North Dallas, Texas? If so, who is your PCP?

I'm sorry, no, I'm not in the Dallas area. Do you currently have a PCP. Has he/she already stated that they won't provide you with any follow up blood work? That seems like a rather harsh approach for a PCP to take with their patients! It really is a minimal amount of work on their part. I had follow-up blood work with my PCP at 1 month, 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 12 months and now I have my 18 month appointment on Feb. 29.

I definitely have zero regrets about my surgeries in Mexico, but I do think having a supportive PCP has helped with that. Not sure how I would have felt about it without my PCP's support.

Yes, I asked her at my visit 2 weeks ago. She doesn't support.

My primary was totally supportive of me having surgery.

Do the math on paying 2 insurance policies and meeting out of pocket expenses. Add it up and compare it to paying for surgery. If you have surgery and pay out of pocket in the US are doctors still refusing to see you? That doesn't even make sense. Blossom Bariatrics in Vegas has a good program at a good cost.

http://blossombariatrics.com/

Also there is a whole forum here dedicated to surgery in Mexico. You might get better answers there.

Doctors are not refusing to see me if I remain in the US. I am having problems finding someone to see me if I go to Mexico (like originally planned).