Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op, how much did you lose?

How much below your highest weight do you want to be before surgery and why?

I have lost 30 lbs from my highest weight, and I want to lose another 15 more before surgery. Besides health reasons, I'm not really sure why. I guess I think I'll be more successful if I start at the lowest weight possible on the morning of surgery. I have a LOT of weight to lose, even more so since I am a shorty. I'm on a liquid diet (FOREVER, it seems like) and I'm a revision patient, so I really want to lose more weight before my surgery date on March 10. It is taking forever to get here and I'm tired of liquids already and it's only been two weeks!

weight.png

Edited by MKJohnson15

I'm on Day 7 and have lost 9.8 lbs in 6 days. I'm hoping for another 6 or so (for about 15) before surgery but if I only lose another few, that's okay too.

I only lost 7 pounds on the 2-week pre-op diet, even though I sstrictly followed it, but my doctor said my liver could not have looked better.

I also had a LOT of weight to lose when I first started the program. In the first 6.5 months or so I lost like maybe 5 pounds max, despite following the diet and exercise plan. During the week leading up to surgery, I put myself on my own version of a pre-op diet, because my surgeon didn't require a pre-op diet. I basically just had mostly Protein Shakes, with a high Protein meal thrown in every other day or so. I lost 10 pounds that week by essentially starving myself, and while it felt good to FINALLY have lost something, I'm seeing now at almost 6 months post-op that it wasn't actually something that really mattered. What mattered was that I put my liver into the best condition it could be. The weight was insanely stubborn coming off before surgery. Now I'm almost 6 months out and I've lost over 100 pounds. So just take care of yourself and make yourself as healthy as possible for surgery and you'll do great. :)

Yes my doctor told me the smaller and less fatty your liver has a huge effect of your surgery. Less time... less complications..... he said it was very important and I am 61 also.

I did not do a liquid diet but 900-1200 calories a day almost for the entire month of January but especially the 2 weeks before surgery. I did much to my surprise lose 14 pounds and my doctor was very thrilled. He told me after the surgery that my liver looked great.

My dr requires a 2 week liquid diet for liver shrinking. I've done the two weeks already, and I got my band removed on Friday (2/5/16.) I'm so glad I did it because, even though my liver was not enlarged, my band was adhered to my liver and shrinking it made things a lot easier for my doc to remove. Bonus, I've lost weight too.

I'm on liquids for the next four weeks, until my RNY, on March 10th, to keep my liver small, heal my body and to get my BMI down. I'm hoping to lose another 15 lbs from where I am right now, so that my BMI will be under 50.

I was just wondering what other people's personal reasons for WANTING to lose weight were.

@Cervaide thanks for sharing that. I guess at this point, it feels like there is not much else I can do to prepare for my surgery, so I'm just trying to keep myself busy doing something, which is just focusing on my weight. I should be trying to focus on my mindset and my health!

@@MKJohnson15 bless you! I couldn't imagine being on liquids for 4 weeks. I'm having a hard enough time preparing myself for the required 2 weeks. After hearing your length of time, I will not complain as it can clearly be worse!!!

I lost 20 lbs and 10 inches off my torso. My surgeon was very pleased with my progress. Cleared me for surgery for February 16!

Today is Day 13 of 14 and I've lost just under 12 pounds. BUT I gained about 10 before starting the pre-op (the holidays and to many food funerals...). I think I'll lose another 2-3 pounds by Wednesday since I'm on all liquids now. I could have the pre-op bars I guess if I wanted but they taste like chalk so I'll just stick to broth and jello!

During the 2 week pre-op liquid diet, I lost 20 pounds. That was the fastest the weight came off, even post-op. I struggled to lose ANYthing in the 6 months leading up to surgery.

I have lost 27 lbs (34 over all) doing the liquid diet. I'm so tired of it though. It's been since Jan 23rd and my RNY isn't until March 10th.

Oh gosh! It was so nice to see that I am not the only one with Pre-op diet anxiety! My surgery date is on the 7th of March and I'm reducing my intake to 500 calories per day - mainly Protein and veggies as from Saturday 20th. I've been having 1000 cal per day for 4 weeks now and that was okay. But 500........ that is a challenge. But, I'm not complaining, we will do it!!!

Wow! It's interesting to hear all the different pre-surgery diets. My program requires two weeks on HMR shakes and up to two HMR microwavable meals per day. They supply the shakes, but meals are extra @ $3.50 each. I'm a savory eater, so I lasted two days on shakes alone. I bought a few meals and have also eaten fat-free refried Beans and poached eggs in place of the meals. I'm to keep calories under 1300, and I do. This week, I've gone from 407 to 385 lbs, so my bean/egg rebellion must be okay. My rny is on March 7.

Sent from my LG-E970 using the BariatricPal App

ROBIN, My preop diet is liquids only. I have cheated several times with a hard boiled egg or a slice of turkey or chicken. Nothing like the cheats I used to do on diets. I am allowed to drink 5 low calorie, low fat, high Protein Shakes a day (my doc lets me choose out of 5 different brands.) Nothing is provided to me. I purchase them locally.

Since I'm a revision patient, and need two surgeries, I've been on the diet for over a month now and I still have 13 days till surgery. I'm SO TIRED OF shakes. I swear. I only had 315 calories yesterday because I just could not force myself to drink another shake. I just couldn't. I can't wait for this part to be over!

Hello! I'm Debbie and my doctor requires a strict liquid diet only. I started the diet on February 17, 2016 and I have today and tomorrow left! Thank God!! This is the hardest thing I've ever done, but proud of myself! I've lost 17lbs so far ! My liquid diet consist of Water, Protein Shakes, Suger Free Popcicles, and Suger Free Gelatin only! Surgery date is Monday Feb. 29th! I'm sooooo ready! Wish me luck! Good luck to you all also!