Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you measure everything? What is a sample menu for you?

I am 8 months out from bypass. I really don't measure my food anymore...I just let my pouch tell me when I'm done. I was just wondering if that is a no no. I worry that maybe I'm eating too much. I'm still losing...although I'm losing pretty slowly, but I think that's normal at this point, right?

I read comments about what other people are eating in a day, and it seems like they are eating so much less than me.

I am also 8 months out and down 100 pounds with 15 to go to goal. I don't measure or track anymore either. I let my pouch tell me when it's enough. I seem to do well with it. I average about 2 pound loss a week. Good luck and do what works for you.

Oh yeah one of the reasons I stopped tracking is my work hours. I work in the hospital from 5pm to 1 am so my eating hours are crazy. I eat chili with 3 different kinds of Beans probably 5 times a week. I do a lot of Soups. My last meal is around 2am and is usually cheese and turkey pepperoni or beef Jerky. My nut said its fine if that's what works for me.

I am also 8 months out and down 100 pounds with 15 to go to goal. I don't measure or track anymore either. I let my pouch tell me when it's enough. I seem to do well with it. I average about 2 pound loss a week. Good luck and do what works for you.

Nice! Congrats on that, and thanks for the reply. I am down 130 lbs and still have about 40 lbs to go. I am losing about 1-2 lb a wk. I had asked the nutritionist about not measuring and she said it was fine, but I have just been worrying that I am eating too much. Different consistencies fill me up differently...like if I eat 5 oz of meat I'm full, but if I eat a 5 oz yogurt I'm still hungry.

I'm almost 6 months post op, so not quite to the point you are, but I just had my 6 month check up (got home about an hour ago) and when I told the doctor that I still log and plan everything I eat, she said that the people who log their food consistently have a much lower risk of stretching their pouch and slowing down too quickly/regaining. I've been using myfitnesspal since before surgery and I'm probably going to keep using it indefinitely, though I may relax it a bit when I hit maintenance phase.. I find that planning and knowing exactly what I'm eating and how much really eases my anxiety about food, and the fact that it increases my chance of long-term success doesn't. hurt. :P

WARNING: Giving up tracking and measuring is a slippery slope.

This is how pounds can creep back very slowly and you are left wondering how it happened. If you are serious about your weight loss and maintaining it, there is no giving up measuring or tracking. Expect to track and measure for the rest of your life. I know that sucks, but this is the hard cold reality of successful weight loss and maintenance.