Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

popcorn for a snack

anyone eat popcorn for a snack im 6 month post op

I was told not to have any Snacks that had no Protein. That being said, I do occasionally fit some in between my regularly scheduled high protein meals/snacks, but not often, as I don't want to get into a habit of grazing. Also, I'm in maintenance now. Definitely would not recommend no-protein snacks during the weight loss phase.

My nut recommended popcorn to me as a snack. So I eat a light baby bell cheese with one cup of smart food light popcorn almost every day. That way I get the Protein with it and I'm only eating 1/4 serving of the popcorn.

My nut recommended popcorn to me as a snack. So I eat a light baby bell cheese with one cup of smart food light popcorn almost every day. That way I get the Protein with it and I'm only eating 1/4 serving of the popcorn.

That would be allowed under my plan. As long as I'm having some Protein in there.

I had not had popcorn since my WLS, but had a small portion yesterday while watching the Superbowl. Not going to make it a habit, though.

I dont snack much but once or twice I had some popcorn and surprisingly I didn't have any issues eating it and my band is very fussy. I don't think popcorn is going to kill you or do a huge damage, lets face it its not as bad as eating chocolate, candy, ice-cream or chips however I would eat only a small amount and don't have it too often as there are much smarter choices to make. For me when I'm craving something I have a bite or two then throw whatever is left straight in the trash to get it out my system normally it doesn't taste as good as you thought and you feel guilty but if you deprive yourself you end up wanting it more and doing more damage. I think the other members have given really good tips here.

popcorn is fine as long as you are keeping track of the amount. My nutritionist advised the big problem with popcorn is its not filling. So, you end up eating way more than you should before you even realize it.

popcorn is fine as long as you are keeping track of the amount. My nutritionist advised the big problem with popcorn is its not filling. So, you end up eating way more than you should before you even realize it.

You have a good point, for a lot of people it is a slider food. I measure mine out in one cup portions into ziplock bags and never eat more then that in a day. That is 1/4 serving of the kind I buy. For me though I have pretty tight restriction and I can't even finish the cup most of the time when I eat just a tough of Protein with it (baby bell light cheese).

I do in moderation, it doesn't really fill me up, so I stick to the small 100 calorie bags and have maybe one a week if that.

no snacking for me until i did hit maintenance. it just makes no real sense, if you need to snack, and youre hungry, eat Protein, dont get in the habit of snacking on a regular basis or you will simply make it harder for you to succeed.

I do snack now and then , but im in maintenance As i said, and i eat usually Pork rinds, gets me Protein in. arrgh!, yes im in a pirate mood i guess.

I don't have popcorn very often but when I do it is air popped corn, I don't think the microwave corn is very good for me...

I had not had popcorn since my WLS, but had a small portion yesterday while watching the Superbowl. Not going to make it a habit, though.

I had a wee bit of popcorn during the game also.

I put a Tblspoon of Nutritional Yeast on it (which added about 6g of protein) and it was ever so yummy!

I have popcorn frequently as a snack. Obviously not known for its Protein content, but it's high in Fiber, hits the spot as a "bedtime" snack, and is way healthier than many other options! The hard part for me is not smothering it in butter! I have an air popper bowl, so always make it fresh. I've recently started spritzing the popcorn with a little Pam spray, then sprinkling on a little garlic salt or Italian seasoning. The Pam helps the seasoning stick, otherwise it just all ends up in the bottom of the bowl and you eat plain popcorn. I learned that the hard way! It's a great snack for me, and the variations for toppings are really pretty endless. I just did a Pinterest search to help me figure out how I can enjoy my popcorn sans butter! :)

Edited by nursejenny07